All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2020, 02:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Dragon Blade (2015)

Do you know what, it wasn't bad actually! John Cusack wasn't right for the role of a Roman general and he did have the look of someone who had no idea what was going on, but otherwise an enjoayable historical drama.
He doesn't even look right in the uniform. Weird, but it strikes me that his face is too 'modern' looking. Can't put my finger on it.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 19th March 2020, 03:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Absolution (2015)

When reviewing Steven Seagal films you have to classify his output in two ways. Firstly there are his cinema years between 1988 (Above the Law) to 2002 (Half Past Dead) then from 2003 to the present day his headlining films all went straight to dvd (aside from a few foreign markets) with much lower budgets than the likes of Under Siege and On Deadly Ground.

Absolution, titled Mercenary: Absolution in the UK, is one of his later films, made with prolific director Keoni Waxman and filmed over in Eastern Europe for around ten million dollars. These later films range in quality and watchability from utter shit (The Foreigner) to pretty good (A Dangerous Man).

Thankfully Absolution belongs to the latter group. Despite a fairly convoluted plot of political betrayal in the Ukraine US embassy Waxman keeps things ticking over smoothly (ie- lots of bloody violence) and actually keeps things interesting. Sadly Seagal is too portly to do much Aikido any more but Waxman recognises this and mainly has him in firearm combat leaving much of the martial arts to Seagal regular, the excellent Byron Mann, who is actually a more likable fella than Seagal ever was. Of course there are some scenes of Steven fighting, mainly in the finale where he gives nasty villain Vinnie Jones what for.

If you still go out of your way to watch the action stars of the 80's and 90's in direct to dvd movies then i think Absolution is well worth a watch, but if you don't then steer well clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Absolution.StevenSeagal.2015.jpg (32.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th March 2020, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Angel. 1990.

An evil spirit rises from the ground, assumes the identity of a woman and seduces men for their soul,

Back to the end of the 80s horror that this one was released in 1990 so expect it not to be perfect nor boring and mildly laughable. Karen Black stars alongside Linden Ashby who don't seem to be wasted talent, Isa Anderson plays the demonic seductress Lillith who is able to seduce her way to the hearts of the men in the fashion magazine world. There is plenty of gore and good effects created by Steve Johnson, it does have its moments of being flawed but they can be ignored.
Old 19th March 2020, 07:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

it_conquered_the_world_poster_02.jpg
IT CONQUERED THE WORLD (1956)

An alien from the planet Venus is guided to Earth by a well meaning scientist (Lee Van Cleef). The alien claims it wants to bring piece to the Earth but starts enslaving the population by mind control using strange bat like creatures..

Often ridiculed because of the look of the alien monster. Yes, it looks cheap and bad which is a shame because the movie story itself is really quite alright.

it-conquered-the-world-production-photo_3-1956.jpg
Old 19th March 2020, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Shenandoah (1965)

During the Civil War, a Virginia farmer and his family vow to remain neutral, but his youngest son is captured by Union soldiers, the farmer vows to find him.

What begins as a light hearted affair slowly darkens as we reach the second third and culminates with some of the most sobering scenes from any western ever as it tries to show how the Civil War affects both those on the front lines and those at home.

James Stewart is superb trying to keep his family together and Katherine Ross (in her first film role) and Rosemary Forsyth as his daughters also shine whilst Glen Corbett, Patrick Wayne and George Kennedy provide fine support and Doug McClure, well this is the best performance i've seen from him.

Director Andrew V McLaglen populates the film with real people you can identify with who have their own issues and problems which play out in simple scenes round the dinner table or at church. The fact this is how we get to know the characters makes later events even more gut wrenching.

Highly recommended.
Old 20th March 2020, 03:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beneath Loch Ness. 2001.

After their lead researcher dies in mysterious circumstances, a American TV producer who financed the research send another researcher to Loch Ness for answers and prove if their is a monster in the Loch or not.

Its always been a laugh to see non Scottish people try to pull off the accent, Vernon Wells does try his best and may put Mel Gibson to shame, Patrick Bergin even tries but can't hide his Irish accent. The acting is a bit decent even from spoilt Lysette Anthony who seems to want everything her way, the CGI effects may not be perfect but not worse than has been seen before, there is some tense moments, it's no masterpiece but worth a glance.

beneath loch ness.jpg
Old 20th March 2020, 10:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As a Nessie film buff, tis neither better nor worse than the rest of them AKA The Evil Beneath Loch Ness (why truncate????). REWATCH!!

Relaxer (2018, Joel Potrykus)

Well now. Reminding me of Schramm, Themroc and Hunger (1966) in equal doses, this certainly isn't for everyone ahem. There's not a lot "to it" so to speak, as you are basically watching a man on a couch . Set just before the millenium, two brothers spend their time trying to outdo each other. When one sets the other a challenge, then scarpers, the stage is set for easily one of the stranger films I've seen this year. I wouldn't watch the trailer either .
Hmmmmmmmmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R.jpg (99.2 KB, 7 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th March 2020, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Relaxer (2018, Joel Potrykus)
I wanted to watch this one but my HMV never got it in stock (I did pre-order Chained for Life though - recommended!!) but I think I pursue it after all
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th March 2020, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I wanted to watch this one but my HMV never got it in stock (I did pre-order Chained for Life though - recommended!!) but I think I pursue it after all
Noted. Keir was going on about C4L also, so it's all good!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st March 2020, 03:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The platform

Netflix film where people are Imprisomed in a high tower with many floors,
Some imprisomed others volunteers (which doesn't actually explain why ? )
2 ppl to each floor the concept of the film is everyday a platform of food is lowered from top floor and each floor has 2 min to take their fair share before lowering to next floor, problem is everyone greedy and in it for themselves that once it gets so far there is no food left for everyone else, once a month they are moved to a different floor, where they have no idea.
Eventually 2 ppl decide they want to come up with a concept that make it fair for everyone to eat.
If you want something that different for a change then give it a whirl .

But it also one of those then don't fully explain everything and leave you wide open with lots of Q?

Like this? Share it using the links below!