Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179031Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2020, 05:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Terminator Dark Fate (2019)

Meh, it was ok... probably would have been better without Linda Hamilton to be fair.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st March 2020, 05:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Quiet (2005)

Thriller about a deaf girl (Camilla Belle) who goes to live with her godparents ( Martin Donovan, and Edie Falco) and their daughter (Elisha Cuthbert), but it quickly transpires when the family use her deafness as a sounding board to air their problems that all is not well and a dark tale of incest, abuse, teenage drama and eventually murder plays out.

Despite it's grim subject matter the fact it plays out like Mean Girls on acid takes away some of the drama replacing it with almost campy black comedy which meant it wasn't as gripping as it could or should have been.

It's nicely played by all the cast, although some of their character's motives are questionable at best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEqIE9YlmygHVUfS64LW2cwAAM.jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st March 2020, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghosts Of Mars. 2001.

2176, a police unit is sent to a mining town to pick up a dangerous criminal, and find something else has taken over the miners.

John Carpenter returns to the pure Sci-Fi horror genre with plenty blood and gore added in the mix, Pam Grier plays the commander of the unit with Natasha Henstridge, Jason Statham, Clea Duvall and Liam Waite. Ice Cube stars as the criminal Williams who claims he never killed anyone. The plot is easy as told in flashbacks with some tense moments mixed with a good background score, some how it is a bit like Assault on precint 13 but with more action.

ghosts-of-mars.jpg
Old 21st March 2020, 09:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Fright. A young babysitter faces a night of terror when the homidically deranged ex-husband of the woman she's working for chooses that night to escape from an asylum - and come home. Susan George stars in this surprisingly intense and gripping early 70s British psycho thriller co-starring Honor Blackman, Ian Bannen and a pre-Minder George Cole and Dennis Waterman (though they never actually appear onscreen together). Good stuff.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It! Terror From Beyond Space. 1958.

A manned expedition to Mars is marooned on the planet, with one survivor the rescue ship picks up a creature that has stowed away.

This was a decent B movie that is impressive with a good written script and good acting, some films from the era drag on for the first 30 mins before all hell breaks loose but this seems to jump in quick. The Monster is seen offscreen in shadows until near the end. Edward Cahn done a decent job with the direction adding in a sense of claustrophobia tension.

61lt3Sb+ALL._AC_.jpg
Old 22nd March 2020, 12:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Conjured (Bidisha Chowdhury)

Tonally a tornado. A pale, wan artisty type inherits a house in the country. What happens after that ... sheesh. Raped by a ghost? Or was it a dream? Hmmm.

The House Of The Devil

Rewatch. I have to say this is my favourite of West's work. A desperate student takes the wrong babysitting job. As a homage, it works, and as a whole it sticks together even if the events may be ... familiar to those who care for this end of the spectrum

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 22nd March 2020 at 08:44 PM. Reason: AHEM
Old 22nd March 2020, 02:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Lego Batman Movie (2017)

What a blast this was.

There's so much going on, so much to take in as well as the funniest, wittiest dialogue i've heard in a long time.

It's impossible to take everything in during a single viewing.

The best toy commercial i've ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BMTcyNTEyOTY0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTAyNzU3MDI@._V1_.jpg (102.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd March 2020, 05:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Saw Watch Your Stern on talking pictures the other day. It stood out to me because it starred most of the Carry On cast but wasn't a carry on film. Having done a bit of research it appears that both the cast and crew were the usual carry on lot, but it isn't considered (obviously given the title) an official film of the series. It's pretty poor to be honest, but it got my interest for the aforementioned reason. Kenneth Connor gets to dress up in costume a lot and try out accents, Sid gets to use his trade-marked laugh and Leslie Phillips gets to be, well, Leslie Phillips. On the girls side we have a game Hattie Jakes suffering the indignity of being accused of being a man dressed as a woman and Joan Sims seems to be in proto-carry on mode, as I feel she was still honing her craft in this film. It would be a few years before her old battle-axe routine would come to fruition.

Bonus dialogue from Carry On Cleo...

Julius Caesar (Kenneth Williams) thinks he's been stabbed and is laid on a couch. Calpernia (Joan Sims) worries and fusses over him.

"Oh, Julie, Julie, you look a little wan"

Her father Seneca (Charles Hawtrey) "He looks like a big one to me!"
Old 22nd March 2020, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Saw Watch Your Stern on talking pictures the other day. It stood out to me because it starred most of the Carry On cast but wasn't a carry on film. Having done a bit of research it appears that both the cast and crew were the usual carry on lot, but it isn't considered (obviously given the title) an official film of the series. It's pretty poor to be honest, but it got my interest for the aforementioned reason. Kenneth Connor gets to dress up in costume a lot and try out accents, Sid gets to use his trade-marked laugh and Leslie Phillips gets to be, well, Leslie Phillips. On the girls side we have a game Hattie Jakes suffering the indignity of being accused of being a man dressed as a woman and Joan Sims seems to be in proto-carry on mode, as I feel she was still honing her craft in this film. It would be a few years before her old battle-axe routine would come to fruition.

Bonus dialogue from Carry On Cleo...

Julius Caesar (Kenneth Williams) thinks he's been stabbed and is laid on a couch. Calpernia (Joan Sims) worries and fusses over him.

"Oh, Julie, Julie, you look a little wan"

Her father Seneca (Charles Hawtrey) "He looks like a big one to me!"
I saw this was on. Meant to give it a watch but forgot.

Same with The Wolves of Willoughby Chase on Friday and the Stephanie Beacham interview which followed.
Old 22nd March 2020, 06:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I saw this was on. Meant to give it a watch but forgot.

Same with The Wolves of Willoughby Chase on Friday and the Stephanie Beacham interview which followed.
Yeah, I watched that too. Not seen it before and it was surprisingly dark.

Like this? Share it using the links below!