Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2020, 06:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lord Of Illusions. 1995.

A private investigator is hired to protect a illusionist Swannington who is killed during a stage performance. While looking into Swann's past he uncovers a cult who awaite their leader to be resurrected.

Based on his own short story "The Last Illusion" Clive Barker brings his story to reality, when I first saw this when it came out didn't really pay much attention to it and held off rewatching. It starts off well with the cult leader Nix, showing his skills, and Swann taking revenge and jump years later with Swann being a successful illusionist. Scott Bakula plays the private eye drawn into a world he can't understand. Famke Janssen plays Swann's wife who seems to like being au naturale in a dress and Kevin J. O'Connor as Swann. The film does have a decent pace but then side tracks a bit then goes back to the main story line with good effects even though they may not be the best.

images.jpg
Old 22nd March 2020, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We Die Young

JCVD plays a periphireral role as a junkie in this somewhat hackneyed but still decent (second tier to the core) gang war drama. A teenager tries to prevent his younger sibling following in his footsteps. An oddd wee flick. Violent enough certainly. Of course he's in it, so keep an eye out

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd March 2020, 08:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Same with The Wolves of Willoughby Chase on Friday and the Stephanie Beacham interview which followed.
Talking pictures is the go to channel for me if i just want to relax, reminds me of being a kid with all the old black and white films.

They generally repeat a lot of films within a week, then it will roll round to a new batch.

Then these films will turn up again a few months later.

I watched Wolves of Willoughby chase about 2 months ago on the channel.
Pretty dark for a kids film, i'd always been aware of it but didn't see it when it came out.

They've got a website that shows the schedule for the next month if you want to check whats coming up.

With a lot of the Sports and crappy reality programmes being scrapped due to the virus you'd think it would be the perfect time for TV channels to put some decent old films back on the box.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 22nd March 2020, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Amityville III (1983, Richard Fleischer)

Lawdy. That nice Tony Roberts, from all those early Woody Allen films before he was a scheming pervert and that , buys the house on a whim after his tabloid shenanigans wear thin. He ably dangles his slightly uptight daughter for all she's worth, with Meg Ryanning her way into the spotlight as the best friend to boot ahem! Did I also mention the mad scientist? It's utter bollocks cubed. Thank Cthulhu!!! Twould be frightening in actual 3D methinks

Recommended. But not to people who've seen it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 22nd March 2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Amityville III (1983, Richard Fleischer)

Lawdy. That nice Tony Roberts, from all those early Woody Allen films before he was a scheming pervert and that , buys the house on a whim after his tabloid shenanigans wear thin. He ably dangles his slightly uptight daughter for all she's worth, with Meg Ryanning her way into the spotlight as the best friend to boot ahem! Did I also mention the mad scientist? It's utter bollocks cubed. Thank Cthulhu!!! Twould be frightening in actual 3D methinks

Recommended. But not to people who've seen it
I prefer watching this one than the other sequels that came out
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:18 PM
Cult Addict

For me Amityville 2 any day of the week.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Videodrome (1983)

Even though Videodrome probably has logic gaps throughout it's still a deeply complex, disturbing and intense viewing experience.

The film explores many of director David Cronenberg's career themes and obsessions such as technology fusing (is that the right word?) with the human body and the links between sex and violence. It features one of James Woods most unscrupulous performances - he's a cable channel programmer who gets drawn in completely over his head to a repulsive S&M channel called Videodrome - and, who along with the indecently depraved Deborah Harry and some risque imagery (in the uncut version) make Videodrome an unsettling viewing experience.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:53 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Terminator Dark Fate (2019)

Meh, it was ok... probably would have been better without Linda Hamilton to be fair.
Saw this one too.. it's boring
Justin101 likes this.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Carry on at Your Convenience (1971)

Basically this Carry On film - about the workers and management of a toilet manufacturing company who are persuaded to change their line to bidets which angers union clowns Kenneth Cope and Bernard Bresslaw and practically force a strike due to job description rights - is a skit on trade union politics.

Less funny than the majority of the series but with more to say when it comes to real life this felt like a parody of the classic ITV series The Plane Makers and took the series into the muddy waters of the 'kitchen sink' drama popular in Britain at the time.

Despite this it's difficult not to raise a smile to Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Joan Simms and Charles Hawtrey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CarryOnatyourConvenience.poster.jpg (26.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd March 2020, 02:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched a good double bill last night War of the Worlds and 28 Days Later....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!