Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2020, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway. 1993.

A young woman moves into a new apartment and begins to receive messages from a ouija board from the previous tennant who was murdered, however there was no record of the death.

Decent sequel from Kevin Tenney, it's not as cheesy as the first film, and not so much of a horror more like a murder mystery ghost film from the 40s and 50s era. The acting was good. There is a few jump scenes but not quite like the ones you would cling to the ceiling. The way some people die and how may seem a bit daft and silly with the effects but worth a watch.

witchboard 2.jpg
Old 24th March 2020, 07:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Van Nuys Blvd (1979)

Bobby, a young man from a small town hears about the wild nights of cruising along L.A.'s famous Van Nuys boulevard and so hopping in his van he decides to check it out.

Playing almost like a sister film to George Lucas' American Graffiti in it's love affair with the sights and sounds of L.A. nightlife and the many vehicles cruising it's streets. Although Van Nuys Blvd isn't anywhere near as good it is practically a remake with it's bikers, teens, drive ins and illegal street racing as well as additional sex, jails and Magic Mountain theme parks.

It's all pretty good natured fun and very watchable but the cop chained to his police car out on the beach adds a dose of weird surrealism to proceedings.

Van Nuys Blvd was released by Crown International and a good quality widescreen print can be found on many Mill Creek movie packs. This version is on Drive In Cult Classics Volume 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wNhDfYtsl5y7LULlmD1I0zPwJC5sx16wDTyFkDhR4vI.jpg (110.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 24th March 2020, 09:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Mutations

The Freakmaker/The Mutations.1974
Good news for anybody who wanted to double dip for the new version released by diabolik on Blu-ray.They have finally got rid of that ready break glow that seemed to eminate from the cast. BUt have no fear because it's still as gaudy and as garish as before.IN fact the colours literally pop out at you,much like the eyes of that bloke in the carnival.Its often compared to Browning's film FReaks,but let's be honest Tod's film handles the subject matter of disability and circus folk with alot more subtle than Jack Cardiffs film.And let's face it the only thing more hideous than Tom Baker's disfigurement is his horrible over acting. Still it's not often you get rabbit eating plants or ones that jump through windows .Its British exploitation at its best,just never let Donald Pleasance ever water your house plants, he'll just feed them your pets or naked lady.

Old 24th March 2020, 09:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

MV5BMzNkYmEyOGItNWZiOS00NzMxLWFhNjktMzhhYWZlMTAyMDUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
KING OF KINGS (1961)

Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus in this MGM epic. Although the movie obviously tells of the life of Christ the film focuses a lot on Roman rule, Herod, Barabbas and the politics going on behind the scenes. Some of the ministry and miracles of Jesus are mentioned but not seen. So this is the story but from a different angle.
Good film, colourful and with another outstanding score by Miklos Rozsa.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict

Nice to see you back Inspector.
I really like the Mutations, it's absolutely mental.

You'd think someone would have released it over here seeing as it's British.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Good news for anybody who wanted to double dip for the new version released by diabolik on Blu-ray.They have finally got rid of that ready break glow that seemed to eminate from the cast. BUt have no fear because it's still as gaudy and as garish as before.IN fact the colours literally pop out at you,much like the eyes of that bloke in the carnival.Its often compared to Browning's film FReaks,but let's be honest Tod's film handles the subject matter of disability and circus folk with alot more subtle than Jack Cardiffs film.And let's face it the only thing more hideous than Tom Baker's disfigurement is his horrible over acting. Still it's not often you get rabbit eating plants or ones that jump through windows .Its British exploitation at its best,just never let Donald Pleasance ever water your house plants, he'll just feed them your pets or naked lady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Nice to see you back Inspector.
I really like the Mutations, it's absolutely mental.

You'd think someone would have released it over here seeing as it's British.
My copy is a shitty US bootleg from Desert Island Classics although it does port over the commentary from the old release and picture quality wise is fine other than being too bloody bright, but that's easily rectified.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cheerleaders (1973, Paul Glickler)

Sleazy wee thing centred around some sports enthusiasts. The new girl is a bit ... prim, but that's okay, as the rest of the squad are looser than a wizard's sleeve .
As close to "other" films from that period cough in content, its rather racy storyline (they are meant to be school kids after all!!) leaving British flicks of a similarly "tittillating" nature in the dust. Ahem. Phwoar indeed

Nefarious
(2018, Richard Rowantree)

Predictable British horror. I know they can't all be Kill List, but come on folks! Would make a great double bill with Pandamonium

NEXT!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th March 2020, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Hello there!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th March 2020, 11:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

How to Steal a Million (1966)

A fantastic vibrant heist comedy drama in which Audrey Hepburn sparkles as she plots with posh thief Peter O' Toole a way to steal her own art collecting fathers sculpture which he donated to a Paris museum...

This is a second viewing and the film is a delight from first to last. Hepburn and O'Toole are a perfect fit and spar off each other wonderfully and to top it all there are a couple of genuine laugh out loud moments in this sophisticated charmer.

"Papa!" "Nicole"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Jzaa5PgIL.jpg (36.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th March 2020, 01:25 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
My copy is a shitty US bootleg from Desert Island Classics although it does port over the commentary from the old release and picture quality wise is fine other than being too bloody bright, but that's easily rectified.
Yep that's the one i've got.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!