Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2020, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Dark Angel.1990.
I Come in Peace.
Science fiction does not get any louder or dumber, than this hybrid of buddy cop movie and aliens running amok on earth. Its beaten into second place by Jack Sholders even louder and dumber but excellent The Hidden. IN fact Dark Angel/I Come In Peace is just as entertaining as The Hidden, but not quite as slick or as kinetic, and Mr Dolph Lundgren is nowhere near as enigmatic as Kyle MacLachlan. Still there is loads of fun and dumb ass action to be had, as drug trafficking aliens use the high tech technology of the day, cd’s as the murder weapon of there choice. Like so many films before it, we have our showdown in an abandoned industrial area, where Dolph Lundgren gets to face off against the very tall Matthias Hues, who obviously never learned anything at villain school or from Vernon Wells in Commando and gets impaled with a piece of pipe before being blown up. Overall the film is as daft as a brush but an entertaining science fiction knockabout, with corny dialogue and testosterone aplenty. There is a subplot about a gang of yuppie drug dealers called the White boys, lead by Day of the Dead’s very own Bub Sherman Howard, but that seems to get forgotten about towards the end, other than that a fine bonkers film.
I love this film, can't believe that it's not been given the 88 Film/Arrow treatment yet. Also I did not know that Bub from Day Of The Dead is in this (Learn something new every day)

Might have to give my DVD a run through soon
Old 29th March 2020, 12:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bud Abbott and Lou Costello meet the Invisible Man. 1951.

Private detective duo help clear a man's name who has turned invisible to get even with a known gangster.

From start to finish this was non stop laughter from the duo, with one of the funniest boxing matches with Lou being coached by Arthur Franz, this may be one of the best next to their meeting with Frankenstein. The film does copy the effects from the invisible man films that were well done and may seem cheesy towards the end but doesn't stop the laughter coming.

MV5BOTcyM2Y3OGMtZDM2YS00N2JjLWJkMzUtOTE5NGNkNDUxYjM3L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzA4MTgyNzQ@.jpg
Old 29th March 2020, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Darkman 1990

Dark Man.
A somewhat neglected film from Mr Raimi's career, people either think Evil Dead or Spiderman, depending on weather you favour his early films or his later stuff. I do not think I had watched this since it’s intial release all those years ago, and of course being a diehard Evil Dead fan I was wanting bucket’s of gore, and not slapstick cartoon violence, that we saw with the likes of Crime wave.. Still after my recent repeated viewing of Dark Man, I believe time has been good to this cartoon life action film. For one thing I was impressed with Liam Neeson performance, I’m not his biggest fan and usually find him a bit one dimensional and dare I say wooden, but here he really shows some diversity and also some manic energy which is usually missing from his performances, most films he seems to just phone in his performance, how many variations on Taken can you make for the love of Buddha. Also what struck me more watching the film this time round was how good the make-up effects are on the Dark Man himself, with the burned scarring and the protruding teeth coming out of his skull, looking excellent and gruesome in equal measure Hi-Def. Of course no Raimi movie was complete back then without all those crazy camera angles, and fast zoom ins, which can grate after a while and detract from the action. Also a major thumbs up to Larry Drake filling the bad guy role so admirably, and stomping around like a rather large baby chewing his way through the scenery...Later to be seen in the rather underrated Dr Giggles...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2f4d536c-9819-414f-bc9e-9fc9a57f7422.jpg (92.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 29th March 2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 29th March 2020, 08:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

e-b-shaolin-and-wu-tangy.jpg

Shaolin and Wu Tang

Two friends from rival schools and rival fighting styles are torn apart when the lord of the area wants to steal the secrets of Wu Tang and Shaolin styles of fighting. The lord tricks the Wu Tang master into drinking poisoned wine while they play chess and will only give him the antidote if he reveals where the secret book of Wu Tang is hidden. In another cruel twist the master tricks his number one student into killing him rather than giving up the secret book. The Lors set up a competition between both schools hoping they will elemimate each other

This film is jam packed with beautiful fights and cinematography. The contrasting fighting styles makes for so many great fights scenes using swords spears and hand to hand combat. The pacing is spot on always something interesting happening striking the right balance between fighting and story telling never a dull moment. The final showdown is a work of art.

8/10
Old 29th March 2020, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Dark Man.
A somewhat neglected film from Mr Raimi's career, people either think Evil Dead or Spiderman, depending on weather you favour his early films or his later stuff. I do not think I had watched this since it’s intial release all those years ago, and of course being a diehard Evil Dead fan I was wanting bucket’s of gore, and not slapstick cartoon violence, that we saw with the likes of Crime wave.. Still after my recent repeated viewing of Dark Man, I believe time has been good to this cartoon life action film. For one thing I was impressed with Liam Neeson performance, I’m not his biggest fan and usually find him a bit one dimensional and dare I say wooden, but here he really shows some diversity and also some manic energy which is usually missing from his performances, most films he seems to just phone in his performance, how many variations on Taken can you make for the love of Buddha. Also what struck me more watching the film this time round was how good the make-up effects are on the Dark Man himself, with the burned scarring and the protruding teeth coming out of his skull, looking excellent and gruesome in equal measure Hi-Def. Of course no Raimi movie was complete back then without all those crazy camera angles, and fast zoom ins, which can grate after a while and detract from the action. Also a major thumbs up to Larry Drake filling the bad guy role so admirably, and stomping around like a rather large baby chewing his way through the scenery...Later to be seen in the rather underrated Dr Giggles...

I thought it was his love letter to the Universal era myself. Must rewatch!! Giggles is a major hoot indeed as well

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th March 2020, 09:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Blue Jean Cop, A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors & Apocalypse Now

Blue Jean Cop

This was the below the radar 1988 Peter Weller & Sam Elliot film where a Public Defender Lawyer and renegade Cop team up to tackle police corruption, It's entertaining way to spend 100 minutes.

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

This is my favorite of the series and probably the 1st true sequel (Can't remember Freddie's Revenge) as it has Nancy from the 1st one.

Thought the rest of the films made the franchise totally ridiculous.

Apocalypse Now: Final Cut

Heard good things about this, so I picked it up on sale, granted due to it's running time, it would be slow but it was too slow in places for my liking
Old 29th March 2020, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Dark Angel.1990.
I Come in Peace.
Science fiction does not get any louder or dumber, than this hybrid of buddy cop movie and aliens running amok on earth. Its beaten into second place by Jack Sholders even louder and dumber but excellent The Hidden. IN fact Dark Angel/I Come In Peace is just as entertaining as The Hidden, but not quite as slick or as kinetic, and Mr Dolph Lundgren is nowhere near as enigmatic as Kyle MacLachlan. Still there is loads of fun and dumb ass action to be had, as drug trafficking aliens use the high tech technology of the day, cd’s as the murder weapon of there choice. Like so many films before it, we have our showdown in an abandoned industrial area, where Dolph Lundgren gets to face off against the very tall Matthias Hues, who obviously never learned anything at villain school or from Vernon Wells in Commando and gets impaled with a piece of pipe before being blown up. Overall the film is as daft as a brush but an entertaining science fiction knockabout, with corny dialogue and testosterone aplenty. There is a subplot about a gang of yuppie drug dealers called the White boys, lead by Day of the Dead’s very own Bub Sherman Howard, but that seems to get forgotten about towards the end, other than that a fine bonkers film.
Yeah, I really enjoyed this film too, did not know Bub from Day Of The Dead was in this (Learn something new every day) Might have to watch my DVD soon, needs a re-release from someone like 88 Film/Arrow
Old 29th March 2020, 09:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Yeah, I really enjoyed this film too, did not know Bub from Day Of The Dead was in this (Learn something new every day) Might have to watch my DVD soon, needs a re-release from someone like 88 Film/Arrow
It's almost a cameo roll,he has about two scenes then he disappears for the rest of the film.

Old 29th March 2020, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gather round and I'll save ye all some time me buckos ....

The Invisible Man (2020)

Suspension of disbelief is crucial whilst watching a movie, isn't it? In order to full immerse oneself blah blah blah, YES?

Take this movie, for instance.

All my fears from the rather grim trailer (which reminded me tangentially of Ladybird, Ladybird, though do not ask me why) were founded.
Hey, Hypocritewood, can't you actually make adult cinema without welding on some gimmick? Thought not.
See Nil By Mouth. That's a real horror film in comparison and a more grounded take on the subject and all. Ahem.
It doesn't even work on the base level of being entertaining as it continually lifts you out of any tension by sheer dint of the stupidity on show.
Yeah, I should have just watched Cats
I warn you all, do not waste money on this dreck.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th March 2020, 09:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default American Flyers, Student Bodies & New Jack City

This was Saturday's viewing

American Flyers

When Video Magic opened it's glorious doors in the mid 80's, one of my earliest memories was reading the magazine that the shop produced featuring what videos were released that month along with description and picture of the cover. The name American Flyers and it's cover gives me nostalgic memories of that time period. I never rented this film however and during the 90's heyday of shops like Woolworths, WH Smiths, Virgin Megastore, HMV & MVC, they never had the video available to buy nor did the DVD show up anywhere either. It's also a film that never appears on TV, not even one of those obscure Movie channels like Movies4Men or Talking Pictures. For a 1985 film starring Kevin Costner, I find it quite astonishing that it's completely of the radar. I did mange to find the DVD on Amazon (But I believe it was an import)

I must admit I thought it would be one of those films that would be been great in it's day but not as good in 2020 however other than a slow start, I found this to be a very entertaining movie. One which would be one of my all time favorites if I had watched it in the 80's.

Student Bodies

I recently moved into my new house early this year and I treated myself to a Blu Ray Player also considering 88 Films, Arrow and 101 Films were releasing films, I was interested in only on Blu Ray. I got this due to a sale 88 Films were running.

Even though I enjoyed the beginning, I felt that it started to drag at the end and considering it was 85 minutes long, that's not really a good thing. Maybe if I had seen it in the 80's, I might have fonder memories of this film.

New Jack City

This is one of my favorite films, I swear if this film was released today, it would be nominated for several Oscars especially for Wesley Snipes (Best Actor), Chris Rock (Best Supporting Actor), Mario Van Pebbles (Best Director) and Best Picture. Mind you it should've been up for the Oscars whether be it in 91 or 92

Even though Passenger 57 and Demolition Man are very entertaining movies, to come after New Jack City, Wesley Snipes film roles went into a different direction

Like this? Share it using the links below!