Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2020, 10:02 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BYmE0MjVkMTktNTVjNi00NWIyLThiZGMtN2E3YTlkMTJmZDAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

A group of actresses are invited to a directors country home to audition for the leading roll in his next film but someone doesn't seem to want to the role to be filled.

A real mixed bag for me at times it felt like it was moving along nicely and building up to something but when those peaks came they fell a little flat. The ice skating scene was especially random and a bit stupid even more so when the killer showed up in furry ice skates.

The best thing about this film has to be John Vernon I'm a massive fan of his and he is such an asshole here i love it treating everyone like shit and sleeping with everyone he can. But seriously he has such a great presence on screen and us always a pleasure to watch.

Sadly Curtains falls flat for me.

5/10
Old 29th March 2020, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nightmare (1964)

Superb Hammer thriller that for long periods plays like a classic old dark house chiller with one or two tasty twists in store.

Freddie Francis' direction is exquisite and the cinematography sublime with a suitably creepy score that combine to give the film a rich,eerie atmosphere.

Slightly reminiscent in plot of Les Diaboliques (1955), Nightmare grabs hold of you with icy hands and never let's go thanks partly to a terrific turn by newcomer Jennie Linden as a young woman plagued by nightmares that her mother stabbed her father to death, and each night she revisits said nightmare as reality and dreams collide as a ghostly figure stalks the shadowy house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nightmare-british-movie-poster-md.jpg (42.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th March 2020, 11:46 PM
Cult Master

12172.jpg

After a train is robbed and everyone on board is murdered a poker playing gunslinger and an insurance agent team up to track down the money and take it for themselves.

When its good its good but most of it was hilarious from the dubbing to the fight scenes and the dialogue. The violence towards women at the start was so over the top it really surprised me its not every day you see a woman take a boot between the legs for no reason. One fight that had me cracking up was when they fight at a tree and one guy swings from a branch to kick the other guy in the face when he gets back up the first guy is just perched on top of the tree

Entertaining and ridiculous in equal measure and more than enough poker references thrown in for good measure and when the good guy is called Pretty Face how can you go wrong

7/10
Old 30th March 2020, 05:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Blancheville Monster. 1963.

A daughter of the count fears she will be next in line to the family curse.

This Italian/Spanish film is a re-telling of House of Usher with a nice styled gothic atmosphere, The film does start of slow and drag on then does pick up and becomes more interesting with its suspense. Ombrette Colli (credited as Joan Hill) plays the young Emilie De Blancheville who seems to think she is soon going to die to the family curse.

The dubbing on this film isn't great and quite noticeable but can be ignored with the style of acting with some parts may be a bit OTT, the eerie background score that makes it feel like a ghost story rather than chiller movie and a good stylish horror make up on the monster.

The Blancheville.jpg
Old 30th March 2020, 09:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

OIP3O42Q947.jpg 6030862967_5f3ecf1f30_o.jpg how-to-make-a-monster.jpg

AIP Triple Bill

I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (1957)

Tony Rivers (Michael Landon) is a teen with big anger problems. He visits a doctor (Whit Bissell) who uses hypnotherapy to regress Tony to Werewolf state.
Now a part time werewolf, Tony attacks his school friends..

Fun drive-in movie. The make up is actually pretty good and there are some standout attack moments in the movie.

I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN (1957)

Professor Frankenstein (Whit Bissell) takes the body of a teenager killed in a car crash from the scene of the accident. He then restores the youth's body using other body parts. The head of the teen is still badly mangled but wanting to go in to the outside world ends up killing a girl. The teenage monster (Gary Conway) and Prof. Frankenstein then go out looking for a new head so they can restore the monsters face..

A more gory story than the Teenage Werewolf. Prof. Frankenstein is real nasty even getting the monster to kill his fiancée to protect his secret.
The teenage monster make up looks suitably horrendous.
The last reels are in colour for the final showdown.
It is worth noting that the UK print under the title 'Teenage Frankenstein' is cut so check out the US version for extended mayhem.

HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER (1958)

A make up man at American International loses his job after 25 years as the new owners are saying horror pictures are dead. Disgruntled about this, he uses his new make up formula on The Teenage Werewolf and the Teenage Frankenstein and controls them to kill the heads of the studio..

The two teen monsters together, at least for a short while. Gary Conway resumes his role as The Teenage Frankenstein. One of the best things on show here is picking out the different masks that are on the wall from other AIP pictures such as The She Creature and The Invasion Of The Saucer men.
The last reels are colour for the fire climax.
Old 30th March 2020, 09:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Tombs Of The Blind Dead.(1972)

Tombs Of The Blind Dead.(1972)
Two old school friends, Betty and Virginia bump into each other at a holiday resort, turns out they were lovers at boarding school so they decide (as you do) to go away together, with Virginia bringing along her boyfriend Roger. Virginia unable to confront her past mixed with Roger's flirtation with Betty, decides to jump off the train, and wouldn’t you know it, she ends up in some dingy old ruins. Needless to say it’s not to long before cardboard tombstone's are a wobbling and boney hand’s are emerging from polystyrene crypt’s, all the while Virginia is listening to the latest euro hits on her portable radio, not realising there are some gate crashers on horseback,(where the horses came from I have know idea) But it’s not long before she is set upon by the slowest zombie's you have ever seen, so it’s a good job Virginia is such a clumsy mare otherwise the slow mo chase scenes would take up all the running time. It maybe just me but what I love about these movies, especially from the early to mid 1970’s is that they defy not only normal film conventions but are completely the opposite of what movies are today. The scene in mortuary, for example, when Betty and Roger go to identify the body of Virginia, the mortuary attendant gleefully pulls the sheet away only to reveal the wrong body, a bizarre WTF moment if ever there was one, although the frog jumping in a pool of blood was a close second. For all it’s macabre madness, some of it is like watching Pythons Holy Grail, with a smidgen of “of no one expects the Spanish inquisition” thrown in for good measure...I Also love the way a professor manages to explain how the blind dead capture people, by having exceptionally good hearing, truly bonkers....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tombs-of-the-Blind-Dead-1971-poster.jpg (98.2 KB, 5 views)

Old 30th March 2020, 10:34 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 223374 Attachment 223375 Attachment 223376

AIP Triple Bill

I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN (1957)

Professor Frankenstein (Whit Bissell) takes the body of a teenager killed in a car crash from the scene of the accident. He then restores the youth's body using other body parts. The head of the teen is still badly mangled but wanting to go in to the outside world ends up killing a girl. The teenage monster (Gary Conway) and Prof. Frankenstein then go out looking for a new head so they can restore the monsters face..

A more gory story than the Teenage Werewolf. Prof. Frankenstein is real nasty even getting the monster to kill his fiancée to protect his secret.
The teenage monster make up looks suitably horrendous.
The last reels are in colour for the final showdown.
It is worth noting that the UK print under the title 'Teenage Frankenstein' is cut so check out the US version for extended mayhem.
Contains one of the all-time great lines of dialogue:

"Speak. I know you have a civil tongue in your head because I sewed it back myself"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 30th March 2020, 11:08 AM
Cult Master

Chessboxin.jpg

Famed for his five elements style of Kung Fu The Ghost Face Killer has returned to take out all the Kung Fu masters that opposed him while he was a cruel and barbaric top government official. Only one chess master and his student have the means to defeat him.

Ah Pao joins the Kung Fu school to improve his skills but when it is discovered he carries one of Ghost Face Killers death plates with him he is believed to be the one killing all the masters and he is throw out of the school never to return. Ah Pao turns to the villiage chess master to teach him the five elements fighting style do he can get revenge on Ghost Face Killer for killing his father.

The film starts of with some comedy elements when Ah Pao is trying to fit into the school and acting childish the highlight of his school antics has to be the rice scene some amazing skills and movement. But the silliness soon turns into some beautiful Kung Fu.

The final battle between Ghost Face Killer Ah Pao and The Chess Master is mind blowing the choreography the speed and skill is amazing watching all five elements being utilised each one cancelling out the other is beautiful to watch but when they use double horse its taken past the next level jaw dropping stuff.

8/10
Old 30th March 2020, 12:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Blancheville Monster. 1963.

A daughter of the count fears she will be next in line to the family curse.

This Italian/Spanish film is a re-telling of House of Usher with a nice styled gothic atmosphere, The film does start of slow and drag on then does pick up and becomes more interesting with its suspense. Ombrette Colli (credited as Joan Hill) plays the young Emilie De Blancheville who seems to think she is soon going to die to the family curse.

The dubbing on this film isn't great and quite noticeable but can be ignored with the style of acting with some parts may be a bit OTT, the eerie background score that makes it feel like a ghost story rather than chiller movie and a good stylish horror make up on the monster.

Attachment 223373
There are some wonderfully atmospheric candle lit wanderings in this.

I really like it.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 30th March 2020, 01:18 PM
Cult Master

MV5BNmQ4YTQyZmYtOTYzNi00OTcxLTk2NWEtNjM2NTdlZDg4MGE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_.jpg

Invincible Armour

Chow Lung Fu works for Minister Liu after witnessing a new face Lu Hong in town during a street fight he is more than impressed by his Kung Fu and takes him to meet Minister Liu hoping to recruit him as an officer. During a sparring demonstration Hong murders Minister Liu and escapes and Chow Lung Fu is framed for the murder. Shen Yu is a famed detective and he is sent after Chow to bring him to justice. Shen Yu catches up with Chow but they come to an agreement that Chow will prove his innocence within three days or he will hand himself in.

Every fight scene is completely different with so many people after the reward for Chow everyone of them has a different fight style keeping every showdown fresh and intriguing. The fighting here is less choreographed its less like a dance and more straight forward combat not to say its any less complex.

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!