Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179409Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2020, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've got all the sequels. None are truly awful with most pretty decent. I couldn't tell you which were the better ones as they kinda blend into one.

Sure they don't feature Kirsten Dunst but the likes of Christina Milian who starred in the fourth one (i think) and Hayden Panettiere who was in All or Nothing ,was quite a star at the time thanks to Heroes, aren't total nobodies we've ever heard of.

The original is by far the best though.
Fair enough
Old 8th April 2020, 11:55 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)

One of my favourite Frank Capra films even if he basically remake it three years later with the even better Mr. Smith Goes to Washington . A brilliantly written story, fantastic turns from Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur and a beautiful heart warming finale.

Is it just me that thinks Jean Arthur has the sexiest voice in cinema?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mdgtt1936.jpg (34.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th April 2020, 03:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Demolition Man (1993)

Demolition Man
Stallone does Judge Dredd, in all but name, which is more than he did in the actual Judge Dredd movie,( to be fair if he had kept that damn helmet on, it would of been a moderately successful adaptation, all would of been forgiven, well apart from Rob Schneider). Any how as totalitarian cops go, John Spartan is a no nonsense, does things his way or not at all, type of cop, who is out to get his nemesis Simon Phoenix, played by a wonderfully over the top, Wesley Snipes. Who excels in the bad guy role, and is certainly a lot more charismatic as a villain than he was as a hero in the Blade movies. Demolition man adds a nice twist to the story, with its cryogenic plot line, which sends the two characters hurtling into a dystopian future where pretty much every enjoyable aspect of the past has been outlawed. And inexplicably Nigel Hawthorne in a kimono runs every thing. Obviously we have to endure quite a few fish out of water jokes as Spartan learns how to cope with his new surroundings, including how to wipe his bottom in the future and more importantly how to get Sandra Bullock into bed. All this implausibility is wilfully helped along by one time comedian Denis Leary as an underground Rebel leader and the not so funny Schneider (again ).It’s all done in aloud brash manor and it’s one of Stallone’s more enjoyable film output of the 1990’s, especially after some of the odd films he made in the late 1980’s,yes Over the Top I’m talking about you sir... But I digress, Demolition Man ,is like Sly,big,loud and explodes alot..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91VoJCWJ0rL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (97.8 KB, 3 views)

Old 8th April 2020, 08:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

the-robe-1953.jpg
THE ROBE (1953)

A Roman tribune (Richard Burton) is in charge of the crucifixion of Christ.
He acquires Jesus robe which sends him in to a madness type state.
His slave (Victor Mature) takes the robe and runs away.
Thinking that by finding the robe again and destroying it will cure him of his state of mind Burton heads out in search of his slave and soon finds himself among Christians..

The first Cinemascope film looks glorious.
Jay Robinson is excellent as the mad Caligula.
Great film with powerful and emotional scenes.
Old 8th April 2020, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Tower. 1985.

A group of people become trapped in a building after the computerized security system malfunctions and sees humans as a threat.

This was a bit of a let down, even for a chessy 80s film, there wasn't enough viewing of the characters on why they were there, or what the thief who got access to the building planning on stealing. The running time for the film was 102 minutes but it felt longer and the acting wasn't great, the plot did seem interesting but was never enjoyable.

MV5BZDZkNDk3MjEtYTRiNy00NjFlLWEyNTktZWVkMGI5MGM2MTM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 8th April 2020, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Shrek 2, American Ninja 2: The Confrontation & Shoot Em' Up

Shrek 2
I've always found the 1st Shrek to be overrated however I love this one, Shrek and Fiona go to Far Far Away to meet her parents and have to deal with the evil Fairy Godmother who has been scheming to have her son be Fiona's husband. This also has the introduction of Puss In Boots.

American Ninja 2: The Confrontation

This sequel sees Joe and Jackson off to some sunshine island where they help the U.S. based army investigate the disappearance of U.S. soldiers. It is then found out that a Drug Lord has been chemically engineering soldiers into Ninjas. Sounds crazy but has some good action, it's cheesey but fun.

Shoot Em' Up

A quite bonkers movie starring Clive Owen who ends up protecting a new born from Paul Giamatti's army. When the 1st death is a Carrot is stuck through someone's mouth, you can tell what kind of ride you are in for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s2.jpg (12.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg an2tc.jpg (14.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg seu.jpg (14.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th April 2020, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Firm (1993)

This is what cinema is missing in the here and now. Classy thrillers like The Firm.

Sydney Pollock's taught direction, a pulsing piano accompaniment, Tom Cruise running through the streets chased by the Jigsaw killer, corrupt law firms, Ed Harris, Holly Hunter, Paul Sorvino as the face of the mob, Gary Busey and Gene ****ing Hackman.

The petition for more John Grisham adaptations starts here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firm_ver2.jpg (19.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th April 2020, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadly Possession. (aka Coda, a Symphony of Suspense). 1987.

A music student is murdered and a man is arrested, after another student is attacked police believe they have the wrong man and begin looking for a serial killer and someone starts looking into the secrets of a teacher.

This was a enjoyable thriller with a unexpected twist...so to say, (predictable half way through) and seemed to be inspired by other masked killer movies, but the cast made it worth watching. There is a lot of suspense and tension mixed in with one good decent killing with some blood splatter. only downside side to watching this is the low lighting used towards the end at the revealing of the killer but worth a watch.
Old 8th April 2020, 10:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hunt

Prepare to laugh your posterior off. I did (ouch). 12 strangers wake up to find they are being hunted.
That's it.
Yes, there's more to it, but going in blind will be the best way to enjoy it I promise .
With even more hysterically terrible dialogue than The Invisible Man, this just gets very silly.

D, haven't they adapted all of them Grishams by now surely????

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th April 2020, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

D, haven't they adapted all of them Grishams by now surely????
Just had a look. They've adapted eight out of 35 novels.

Nine if you include Christmas with the Kranks.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!