Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179458Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2020, 12:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Grave of the Vampire. 1972.

Kroft, a vampire returns from the grave and attacks a couple, the woman gives birth to a baby boy that feeds on blood. 30 years later the boy who has grown up searches for the man who raped his mother and plans to kill him in revenge.

70s horror that was made quickly and low on the production scales and mediocre editing that was involved makes it look bad. This is a different take on the vampire genre, with a plot that seems daft and uninteresting, this was actually decent, it ain't perfect due to some noticeable flaws. Michael Pataki makes a decent vampire while William Smith plays the son who wants revenge. Worth a watch.

Attachment 223887
Never seen the Vipco version, but I have to admit that cover art is absolutely stunning
Old 19th April 2020, 02:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Never seen the Vipco version, but I have to admit that cover art is absolutely stunning
I kept my VCI discs of Lady Frankenstein and Edgar Allan Poe's Horror aka The Blancheville Monster because the artworks were far better then the ones on the discs with quality prints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 089218323491.jpg (104.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 51G2MZ0F05L._AC_.jpg (36.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th April 2020, 05:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Cannibals suck

Cannibal Apocalypse.
My favourite out of all the cannibal movie's, mainly because it does offer something different to all the usual natives in loin cloths chowing down on some poor Italian extra,we use to get. John Saxon gives his all ,as always as the leader of a bunch of ex Vietnam vets,who have gone rabid.Giovanni Lombardo Radice does his usual moody, I'm better than this film performance and Tony King does an admirable job of gurning and attacking people.. Although alot is made about its cannibal credentials,I think it has more in common with David Cronenbergs Rabid.Anyhow the Kino release is the way to go, unless this gets a UK release for the new 4k scan.I also watched Emanuelle in America but I was not really in the mood for horse cocks or cock sucking....

Old 19th April 2020, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Savage Dawn. 1985.

A Vietnam vet travels to a small town to visit a old friend, soon a biker gang show up hell bent on destruction, with nothing to loose the two friends and some locals team up and plan a war against the bikers.

With stars like Lance Henriksen and George Kennedy appearing as the main leads along with Karen Black and William Forsythe, i thought the film would have good potential, it's very slow paced and seems to be focused on one area of action/fighting. The plot seemed to be heading the right way but some bad acting, directing or both puts a sudden holt on it. Even at the end with the last fight was poorly edited so we can only second guess as to what exactly happened to the bad guy.

MV5BMGMzMzBiZDgtYzdlYy00Y2Q3LTkxYjUtYzQ2MjIyMzc1Y2MzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTEwNDYyNzk@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th April 2020, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Twisted Nightmare. 1987.

A group of teens get invited to a summer camp they once attended as kids. Soon one by one they slowly start to disappear, the survivors think there is a connection with the death of a handicap teen who died there previously.

Teens, Summer camp and killer on the loose...sound familiar? Yep it's a straight off the cuff Friday 13th rip-off, filmed in the same place as the third and does try to imitate some of the 3D effects. The acting is never great and seems like no one was taking it seriously, only thing that saved this low budget was the few scenes on the naked ladies and the killings, the twist in the end was expected as to the killer was but then comes a unlikely hero.
Old 19th April 2020, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Amsterdamned, Bloodfist, Up In The Air & A.W.O.L

Amsterdamned

Dutch thriller about a serial killer lurking in the Canals of Amsterdam. It's an enjoyable thriller.

Bloodfist

Don "The Dragon" Wilson fight film which came along in the slew of B-Movie Martial Art films that came out late 80's to the early 90's. Standard revenge plot but has some really good fight scenes. Billy Blanks co-stars.

Up In The Air

George Clooney drama where he works for a company that fires employees for other companies (Not sure if that job actually exists) Anna Kendrick is the young upstart that he teaches the ropes and Vera Fermiga plays his love interest. Even though the premise sounds boring but it's a well crafted film.

A.W.O.L
Classic Van Damme film where he goes into fighting in order to help his sister in law. One of Van Damme's best films. Billy Blanks has a blink and you miss him cameo at the beginning. Michel Quissi (The actor who plays Tong Po from Kickboxer) is in it along with other Kickboxer co-star Harrison Page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (12.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (13.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg uita.jpg (13.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg awol.jpg (14.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th April 2020, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the star wars prequels on Disney plus. Still plenty wrong with them , the dialogue and writing , Jar Jar ****ing binks ! Enjoyed them even with the flaws, have to say Ultra Hd really brings to light just how the effects have not aged well, a lot of places the animated clone wars series looks more realistic!

Also came to the conclusion that the Jedi are the villains of the movies, they are arrogant, repressed , child kidnappers and controlling and are more to blame for Vader than the emperor! The Jed are a bunch of dicks.

Now watching

Old 19th April 2020, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Freeway Maniac. 1989.

Arthur kills his mum and her boyfriend, he is locked up in a asylum. years later he escapes and comes across a woman, after fending him away, Arthur is recaptured and the woman who is a actress in a new film can't escape Arthur's clutches.

The start of the film may seem familiar, young boy hacking up two grown up people, asylum and escaping. This was a bit of a tongue in cheek parody, the acting isn't star performance and the script does has it's laughs, a orderly asking a patient if he is crazy, then re-tracking the statement. Then you have the sleazy film producer and the actress who do anything to be a star, even doing a strip tease, then you have the killer who manages to find his way onto a film set . These guys who have been locked up for years how do they manage to drive a car and a truck? good for it's laugh and goofs.
Old 19th April 2020, 10:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Corona Zombies (2020, Charles Band )

AHEM. Exploitation ... it's the name of the game ... and I wanna play the game with youuuuu
In the finest spirit of that thing we love comes this. Not since Horror Of The Blood Monsters or even, dare I say it Snuff (gulp!), there I said it , has an assortment of footage been utilized to such good use .
Can I just say at this juncture that it's the best I've seen the Mattei film look as well ahem?

I'm sure you are gripped by this review . Take heart, tis only an hour (ish), so be nice.
The "framing" device of a young lady in distress at only having ... limited supplies to hand is both exploito and informative!
And truly more entertaining than that bloody feline farrago!!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th April 2020, 10:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched the Child's Play reboot as I noticed it was on Netflix, let's just say, I thought it was going to be bad, but it was actually really fun and I had a great time watching it. Chucky was creepy (although not intimidating) and some of the death set pieces were pretty gruesome! Worth a watch for sure.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!