Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2020, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A group of elderly war vets have to defend themselves from crazed and deranged druggies whom come looking for there stash which was stolen by a young woman. Nice and gory with lots of familiar b movie faces as the vets. really enjoyed this and Can see it getting many more viewings.

Can see this is heavily influenced by John Carpenter ( especially Assault on Precinct 13) . The familiar faces are

Stephen Lang
Fred Williamson
Martin kove
William Sadler
George Wendit

7.5/10

Some nonsense involving possession and a haunted house. Glad I watched this with the free month of arrow video from amazon. Would of been a bit up set of had spent money on it. Last 10 minutes where OK at best the rest was just terrible. 4/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd April 2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Bloodfight & Nightmare City

Bloodfight

Hong Kong version of Blood Sport which stars Bolo Yeung as Chang Li (The dubbing makes it sound like Chong Li) A former Martial Arts champion trains a student to compete in a tournament where he's killed and therefore seeks revenge. A little difference is they do most of the tournament scenes at the beginning then do a flashback before going back to the present. The fight scenes are decent and you can see that they took thought into showing damage to the fighters and some of the fight scenes were a bit comical (A Sumo Wrestler smothering his opponent) even as fan of this type of film, this was very passable especially with some over the top acting and a particular annoying song during the film. Released by VPD, who believe obtained mostly Martial Art films from around the world and give them cool looking packaging which attracts fans of the genre but are the kind of films Video Shops would only order 1 copy of and rent it out cheap as well as placing the cases next to the popular films (which may already have been rented)

Nightmare City

Umberto Lenzi Zombie (I think they were Zombies) movie in which Zombies? infiltrated a plane and start killing people. (These Zombies? had weapons) Gory and has a Song that gets repeated a lot. This is one of those films I'm unsure in whether I actually like it or not? Had a very strange ending though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nc.jpg (12.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A group of elderly war vets have to defend themselves from crazed and deranged druggies whom come looking for there stash which was stolen by a young woman. Nice and gory with lots of familiar b movie faces as the vets. really enjoyed this and Can see it getting many more viewings.

Can see this is heavily influenced by John Carpenter ( especially Assault on Precinct 13) . The familiar faces are

Stephen Lang
Fred Williamson
Martin kove
William Sadler
George Wendit

7.5/10

Some nonsense involving possession and a haunted house. Glad I watched this with the free month of arrow video from amazon. Would of been a bit up set of had spent money on it. Last 10 minutes where OK at best the rest was just terrible. 4/10
What were these movies please. All I'm getting are black boxes?
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
What were these movies please. All I'm getting are black boxes?
VFW and Scared Stiff.
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Terror. 1963.

A soldier in the Napoleon Army pursues a young girl only to be saved by a young man and a old woman. He tells them of a young girl he saw. His questioning leads him to a castle and a Baron but something darker may await him.

This has always been a great movie to watch from Roger Corman and even Francis For Coppola, Jack Nicholson plays the young stranded soldier who seems intrigued by the young Elaine, and heads to the Baron's castle played by legend Boris Korloff and his servant Dick Miller.

This was done on a quick note and a somewhat low budget even had 5 directors and at one point Jack sat in the directors chair. It does have some plot holes, and twists, are we watching a ghost story or a witchcraft/black magic film, it doesn't really matter as we are drawn into the movie with a gloomy gothic castle and brilliant acting by all and good make up effects.

MV5BODYyNDllNGQtMDNmYi00NTBlLWE3MWItZTE2MjM0YWVjNjBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_SX1777_CR0,.jpg
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Terror. 1963.

A soldier in the Napoleon Army pursues a young girl only to be saved by a young man and a old woman. He tells them of a young girl he saw. His questioning leads him to a castle and a Baron but something darker may await him.

This has always been a great movie to watch from Roger Corman and even Francis For Coppola, Jack Nicholson plays the young stranded soldier who seems intrigued by the young Elaine, and heads to the Baron's castle played by legend Boris Korloff and his servant Dick Miller.

This was done on a quick note and a somewhat low budget even had 5 directors and at one point Jack sat in the directors chair. It does have some plot holes, and twists, are we watching a ghost story or a witchcraft/black magic film, it doesn't really matter as we are drawn into the movie with a gloomy gothic castle and brilliant acting by all and good make up effects.

Attachment 223970
I love the idea that an additional scene of exposition was filmed at the end with basically talking heads, because the sets had been removed, as Corman realised the whole thing made no sense whatsoever.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 23rd April 2020, 12:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ra-animator. 1985.

After a new student arrives on campus, Herbert West, his new roommate and girlfriend become involved in the re-animation of dead tissue with disastrous results.

One of the best and goriest films from the 80s (i want my childhood back), this was when films were at the height of being good with proper make-up and special effects with no CGI in them so they can't be ruined. Jefferey Combs plays the student Herbert who studied under another doctor of bringing the brain back to life after death. Bruce Abbott plays the promising student Dan Cain who is with the dean's daughter Megan played by Barbara Crampton (who has a nice figure). Things never go to plan with David Gale's part as Doctor Hill who wants the serum but ends up become a head on the table. After seeing this for ages you forget about how much black humor was put into the script with the horror, thank you Brian Yuzna and Stuart Gordon (RIP) for this film.

MV5BMTgyNzY2NTY4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTY0ODIwMjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1158,1000_AL_.jpg
Old 23rd April 2020, 03:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010)

This is how to do comedy horror.

Well meaning hillbillies Tucker and Dale (Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk) are so likable, especially Labine's Dale, you can't help but warm to them, the same goes for the gorgeous Katrina Bowden's Alison, the subject of all the confusion. Her on screen chemistry with Dale holds the whole movie beautifully together.

The story takes in many backwoods horror tropes but basically reverses them as the city folk become the crazed madmen out for blood whilst our two heroes remain in a state of confusion about, well most things really.

The laughs come thick and fast and are cleverly devised rather than say going down the Scary Movie parody route, and the gore is suitably bloody in a story which engages, thrills, scares and just as importantly warms the heart.

Absolutely brilliant, i've seen this several times now and anyone who enjoys outdoors / backwoods horror films should love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51alkGn40DL._AC_.jpg (32.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 23rd April 2020, 05:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Contracted: Phase I. 2013.

Samantha, a 20 something ex heroin addict is talked into going to a house party with her girlfriend Nikki who never shows up, she meets a guy called BJ, they hook up for a bit of back seat bunk up. The day after she thinks she is hungover and gets worse, she thinks she has a STD but something else is wrong with her.

The film takes place over three days and the pace is picked up well from the first 5 minutes and never seemed to get boring just more interesting, with moments of suspense and bodily changes as to what will happen. Najarra Townsend plays the part of Samantha well and Caroline Williams (TCM2) plays her overbearing mother. The film does have it's moments of being squeamish and any one with a weak stomach may wish to avoid. Worth a watch.

Remember people..always use protection.

2230-contracted-2013-T-f5KJSV.jpeg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 23rd April 2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 23rd April 2020, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Contracted: Phase II. 2015.

Riley who has the same disease as Samantha tires to find a cure and look for patient zero known as BJ,and a detective is trying to track him during the epidemic.

The film takes off from where the previous film ended on day 3, Matt Mercer plays Riley who is infected and goes on a search for answers. This is one the same wave length as the previous film and although it seems like Riley has a good immune system to others who seem to change quickly. It may not have the same suspenseful build up but does have some more gore and a unexpected ending and don't eat anything while watching this.

MV5BNGE0N2FjMGYtM2I3OS00ZmIyLTg3ZmMtYzRmZjBhZDQ3NmUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!