Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2020, 08:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Swimfan (2002)

The genre that probably isn't called 'Jilted lover turns psycho bitch from hell' is well worn. Standout's include Jessica Walter in Clint Eastwood's Play Misty for Me (1971) and Glenn Close in 1987's Fatal Attraction and now i'd add Swimfan to that list.

Plot wise the film is nothing particularly new, it's basically a high school version of the aforementioned films but in Erika Christensen it has a standout loony femme fatale as good as any. Her performance as she sets out to destroy swimming champ Jesse Bradford's life kept me on edge throughout in what was a fast moving 85 minute thriller.

Don't be put off by the 12 certificate. This is an entertaining psycho thriller.
I enjoyed it when I saw it around the time it come out, it was better than you'd expected, also forgot sea of love which is similar lines, think I'll have a rewatch sometime soon now since it's Been mentioned.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th April 2020, 08:56 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Puss in Boots (2011) ★★★★

Quote:
Long before he even met Shrek, the notorious fighter, lover and outlaw Puss in Boots becomes a hero when he sets off on an adventure with the tough and street smart Kitty Softpaws and the mastermind Humpty Dumpty to save his town. This is the true story of The Cat, The Myth, The Legend… The Boots.
A highly enjoyable and energetic comedy-adventure with the feline star of the Shrek films and an assortment of fairytale friends, all superbly voiced by the all-star cast.

Godzilla (2014) ★★★★

Quote:
Ford Brody, a Navy bomb expert, has just reunited with his family in San Francisco when he is forced to go to Japan to help his estranged father, Joe. Soon, both men are swept up in an escalating crisis when an ancient alpha predator arises from the sea to combat malevolent adversaries that threaten the survival of humanity. The creatures leave colossal destruction in their wake, as they make their way toward their final battleground: San Francisco.
I know the film's detractors don't like it because the titular creature has relatively little screen time when compared to other Godzilla films, but I like the way Gareth Edwards holds back on revealing the 'monster', establishing the characters, the MUTO, the Monarch organisation and, through the various readouts, Gojira.

Once he makes his appearance, the fight between Godzilla and the MUTO is visually and audibly impressive, and you have enough emotional investment in the characters to make it engaging.

With this unit direction, excellent performances from the cast led by Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and superb CGI, this is a very good movie.
Old 27th April 2020, 09:00 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Saving Mr. Banks (2013) ★★★★

Quote:
Author P.L. Travers travels from London to Hollywood as Walt Disney Pictures adapts her novel Mary Poppins for the big screen.
I'm a huge admirer and lover of Mary Poppins (the film, that is – I haven't read any of the books) so approached this with some trepidation. I needn't have worried because it has pitch perfect performances from Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks and Colin Farrell, leading an excellent ensemble with such accomplished character actors as Paul Giamatti and Ruth Wilson.

In terms of story, telling how the film adaptation of Mary Poppins was made, I can't think of anyone better to play Walt Disney than Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson is to humanise the headstrong and 'quirky' PL Travers. Using a non-linear narrative which shows Travers' upbringing allows the film to focus on the author and her beloved creation at the same time so you understand why she's so protective of the books and the characters within them.

I was really impressed with this at the cinema and this was the first time I'd seen it since. It's definitely a film which stands up to repeated; it's just as enjoyable and moving the second time around.
Old 27th April 2020, 09:04 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The BFG (2016) ★★★★

Quote:
The BFG is no ordinary bone-crunching giant. He is far too nice and jumbly. It’s lucky for Sophie that he is. Had she been carried off in the middle of the night by the Bloodbottler, or any of the other giants—rather than the BFG—she would have soon become breakfast. When Sophie hears that the giants are flush-bunking off to England to swollomp a few nice little chiddlers, she decides she must stop them once and for all. And the BFG is going to help her!
A superbly realised adaptation of Roald Dahl's beloved novel, Spielberg uses motion capture animation to outstanding effect in order to bring the BFG and the other giants to life, and the casting is flawless, with Ruby Barnhill and Mark Rylance perfect as Sophie and the BFG, respectively.

The film is faithful to the source material, told in this visual form by a master storyteller who has made some great family films: E.T.the Extra-Terrestrial, Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and this is nearly up there with them.

It is a lovely piece of escapist cinema which I thoroughly enjoyed at the cinema and, while watching it at home wasn't quite the same, I again found to be emotionally engaging, exciting, and funny. It's a film I hope to watch and enjoy for many years.
Old 27th April 2020, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

@Nosferatu

I too thought Deepwater Horizon was excellent. It's barely a film in the conventional sense in that you aren't party to the narrative, the viewer feels like an outsider peering over the shoulders of the guys on the rig. You aren't coaxed into the events, what the men are doing isn't explained with bland exposition you either get on board or else. It makes the events of the second half seem all too realistic which when portraying a real life event is a huge compliment.
Old 27th April 2020, 12:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
@Nosferatu

I too thought Deepwater Horizon was excellent. It's barely a film in the conventional sense in that you aren't party to the narrative, the viewer feels like an outsider peering over the shoulders of the guys on the rig. You aren't coaxed into the events, what the men are doing isn't explained with bland exposition you either get on board or else. It makes the events of the second half seem all too realistic which when portraying a real life event is a huge compliment.
Extremely well put. It's a film which reminded me of others which have used a quasi documentary aesthetic, so it's a little like Captain Phillips, '71 or United 93 where you are completely immersed the action.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th April 2020, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Attack of the killer Tomatoes. 1978.

A group of scientist band together to save the world from mutated killer Tomatoes.

Defiantly a salute to the B-movie science-fiction/ horror genre that really should not be taking seriously but it has a cult following, heck it even had a cartoon made out of it which was good. The acting isn't really all that great but comical, even the Chinese doctor gets badly dubbed over (intentionally). There is a black guy who is master of disguise who dresses up as Hitler which nowadays you cant't get away with. Good for the laughs.

MV5BNzE2MmNjNmQtZGUxNC00ZTg2LWJlMTItYTJlZDcxYmMzNjBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 27th April 2020, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Return of the killer Tomatoes. 1988.

In the aftermath of the first film, Tomatoes are now banned or even saying the word people panic, Professor Gangreen has developed the Tomatoes to look human for a second invasion.

B-Movie spoof sequel sees the Tomatoes return for a second attack and a whacky professor played by John Astin (yes Gomez himself) trying to perfect the best camouflage for the Tomatoes. Anthony Starke plays the hero with a young George Clooney to save Earth along with his crush Karen Mistal, one who can change into a Tomato when music is played. Cheesy, fun, stupid as heck and has plenty of laughs included.

MV5BNzQ0OTIxMzA2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQwODkxMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 27th April 2020, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Puss in Boots (2011) ★★★★

A highly enjoyable and energetic comedy-adventure with the feline star of the Shrek films and an assortment of fairytale friends, all superbly voiced by the all-star cast.

Godzilla (2014) ★★★★

I know the film's detractors don't like it because the titular creature has relatively little screen time when compared to other Godzilla films, but I like the way Gareth Edwards holds back on revealing the 'monster', establishing the characters, the MUTO, the Monarch organisation and, through the various readouts, Gojira.

Once he makes his appearance, the fight between Godzilla and the MUTO is visually and audibly impressive, and you have enough emotional investment in the characters to make it engaging.

With this unit direction, excellent performances from the cast led by Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and superb CGI, this is a very good movie.
Regarding Godzilla, I found the trailer for it rather deceptive. It made it look like it was Godzilla that was doing all the wrecking. Half way through the film I was wondering, where was Godzilla?
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 27th April 2020, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Critters 3 & Speed

Critters 3

Another fun installment of this franchise. The Critters this time attack the residents of a run down apartment building. Even though it's set in a different location, there is still continuity from the previous 2 films, there is a recurring character that appears also. A during the credits sequence certainly suggests that Critters 4 will follow on from this film (I like that rather than random stories and have them as sequels) A young Leonardo DiCaprio is in this also. I have not seen Critters 4 yet but I'm looking forward to it. These films are short and are very entertaining so I do recommend them if these are your type of thing.

Speed

Keanu Reeves, Dennis Hopper, Sandra Bullock, bomb on bus, can't go below 50 MPH. That is all I need to say. One of my favorite Action films, just put your feet up, switch your brain off and just enjoy. With this in 94 along with Demolition Man in 93, Sandra Bullock was carving a name for herself in Action films. The only criticism I have is was the whole Train sequence at the end really necessary. But that is a small very very inconsequential issue I had with this film
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c3.jpg (13.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg s.jpg (14.0 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!