All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2020, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 224081

A meteor crashes to earth carrying a slimy pink passenger that feeds on human flesh and the dam thing just wont stop growing. Soon after the killing starts and government agents show up fuelling suspicion that something even more sinister is going on.

This is such a fun remake the gore and kills are fantastic. For the most part the special effects are great there are a couple of ropey moments but nothing can kill the fun of this film. Any film with a leather jacket a mullet and a motorbike is alright with me

Fun factor 8/10
I watched this recently and I agree it was fun. I thought that it would be outdated F/X wise but boy was I wrong thankfully.
Old 28th April 2020, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post

The Jackal

Bruce Willis is the Chameleon like master assassin who is hired by an Russian Mobster to assassinate a key American figure after his brother is murdered. Sidney Pottier is the Agent in charge who releases Richard Gere to help find The Jackal. I haven't seen this in a while and I was just as entertained as I was when I 1st saw it. It was just under 2 hours but it just flew by. There were roles for J.K. Simmons and Jack Black.
I think i'm one of the few that prefers this to the original.
Old 28th April 2020, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Class of 1999. 1990.

When education is on a low and crime is on the rise, a new school principle agrees to a government project, three former military cyborgs have been programmed to be teachers and dish out punishment when necessary. Ex-con and gang leader Cody returns to the school he senses something is wrong with the new teachers.

We have grown up with the term "Don't judge a book by it's cover", I have always put this one aside as it seemed daft and pointles...i was wrong, this seems like a mix of Robocop meets The Terminator but this was one good science-fiction film with a decent star cast. Malcolm McDowell plays the new principle who has small delinquent problem in his school. Stacey Keach plays the "mad Professor" with creepy pale eyes who has the answer, John P Ryan, Pam Grier and Patrick Kilpatrick are the cyborgs of Education. The film delivers action, gun fire, the teachers have different personnel arsenal to use and decent funny one-liners.

Attachment 224060
Very fun movie, even though it is a under the radar B-Movie, I'd say it's better than some of the bigger blockbusters that were populating the video shops back in the day.
Old 28th April 2020, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Smiling Ghost. 1941.

A heiress thinks she is cursed as three of her intended grooms have meet with a horrible end. Her aunt hires a man Lucky Downing to be engaged to her niece for a month and break the curse.

This was a old fashioned crime thriller flick with some comedy added into it, Wayne Morris plays the chemical engineer who is jobless and willing to take on any job, and Willie Best as his partner Clearance who becomes his valet and provides most of the comedy and laughs. Alexis Smith plays the young Elinor who believes she is cursed and doomed to die old and alone. It does have it's big house, secret passages, gloomy looking cellars and a weird smiling faced ghost. Worth a watch.

MV5BNzllMWQ2ZjItYzUzOC00MGZlLTg1MTItODU3YzhiYzRiYzA1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg
Old 28th April 2020, 10:33 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I watched this recently and I agree it was fun. I thought that it would be outdated F/X wise but boy was I wrong thankfully.
Yeah i hadn't seen it in years and it looks great some stop motion too which i found funny.
Old 28th April 2020, 10:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Italian Job (2003)

According to last years Hobbs and Shaw this re-imagining of the British crime caper classic might well be the third film in the Fast and Furious franchise as Jason Statham's Shaw had the Mini Cooper's from this film garaged up in that film.

If that's the case then Hobbs and Shaw is now the tenth worst film in the franchise rather than merely the ninth.

Anyway that's digressing.

This remake of the Michael Caine cult film is pretty poor in comparison to the original. In my opinion The Italian Job is one of those sacred films that should have been left well alone. Although to be fair it would seem that the writers of this film thought the same as aside from using the three Mini Cooper's and some character names as well as one or two set pieces slightly reminiscent of the earlier film the story is nothing like the original.

What we actually have is a decent if overlong modern heist film with a very good cast (Mark Wahlberg, Jason Statham, Charlize Theron, Ed Norton, Mos Def, Seth Green and Donald Sutherland) that for the most part entertains but does sag somewhat around the hour mark for a good fifteen minutes or so. Thankfully things pick up again for the Hollywood sightseeing tour that is the fairly thrilling finale.

I've seen this several times over the years and enjoyed it each viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71II4XXVm1L._AC_SY679_.jpg (49.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 29th April 2020, 09:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

blueroom2.jpg
THE SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM (1933)

Very good Universal dark house mystery.
A birthday celebration is taking place in and old castle for Robert Van Helldof's daughter Irene's 21st birthday.
After the telling of a story involving three deaths that occurred at 1am at separate times in the castles Blue room many years ago, three men decide to prove their bravery by sleeping in the room on separate nights..
Old 29th April 2020, 11:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Italian Job (2003)

This remake of the Michael Caine cult film is pretty poor in comparison to the original. In my opinion The Italian Job is one of those sacred films that should have been left well alone. Although to be fair it would seem that the writers of this film thought the same as aside from using the three Mini Cooper's and some character names as well as one or two set pieces slightly reminiscent of the earlier film the story is nothing like the original.

What we actually have is a decent if overlong modern heist film with a very good cast (Mark Wahlberg, Jason Statham, Charlize Theron, Ed Norton, Mos Def, Seth Green and Donald Sutherland) that for the most part entertains but does sag somewhat around the hour mark for a good fifteen minutes or so. Thankfully things pick up again for the Hollywood sightseeing tour that is the fairly thrilling finale.

I've seen this several times over the years and enjoyed it each viewing.
I've only seen this once and thought it was unnecessary and a bit dull. Maybe it's time for a second watch, though I can't see it changing my mind on the unnecessary point. The Italian Job is a great film – fun, energetic, charming, exciting – and one of which came very close to making my top 10 'self-isolation films'.
Old 29th April 2020, 12:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've only seen this once and thought it was unnecessary and a bit dull. Maybe it's time for a second watch, though I can't see it changing my mind on the unnecessary point. The Italian Job is a great film – fun, energetic, charming, exciting – and one of which came very close to making my top 10 'self-isolation films'.
I gave a rewatch to 2016's Blair Witch last night.

Now that was unnecessary and a bit, or should i say a lot, dull, not to mention annoying as hell.
Old 29th April 2020, 12:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I gave a rewatch to 2016's Blair Witch last night.

Now that was unnecessary and a bit, or should i say a lot, dull, not to mention annoying as hell.
I haven't seen it and am in no rush to.

Like this? Share it using the links below!