All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2020, 11:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Equalizer 2 (2018)

I wasn't a fan of the first Equalizer film so in the cold light of day i'm damned if i know why i paid a fiver at Asda prior to lockdown for this sequel.

However on watching i'm pleased i did as i rather enjoyed this movie.

From the off it felt quite relaxed, which is surprising coming from director Antoine Fuqua, as we basically dropped into ex-military dude Robert McCall's (Denzel Washington) new life as a cab driver. The leisurely pace allowed us to meet his friends and neighbours (as well as righting injustices along the way with violent retribution) and i really enjoyed these quieter aspects and was completely invested in his relationship with troubled artist (Ashton Sanders).

The main plot of the film is only shown sporadically at first but builds gradually throughout until it becomes central during the last forty or so minutes culminating in a showdown at a hurricane swept seaside town which reminded me of the recent film Crawl (2019), only this time instead of alligators we had armed assassins.

On the whole The Equalizer 2 was a pleasant surprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg equalizer-2-exclusive-quad.jpg (28.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th May 2020, 11:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Equalizer 2 (2018)

I wasn't a fan of the first Equalizer film so in the cold light of day i'm damned if i know why i paid a fiver at Asda prior to lockdown for this sequel.

However on watching i'm pleased i did as i rather enjoyed this movie.

From the off it felt quite relaxed, which is surprising coming from director Antoine Fuqua, as we basically dropped into ex-military dude Robert McCall's (Denzel Washington) new life as a cab driver. The leisurely pace allowed us to meet his friends and neighbours (as well as righting injustices along the way with violent retribution) and i really enjoyed these quieter aspects and was completely invested in his relationship with troubled artist (Ashton Sanders).

The main plot of the film is only shown sporadically at first but builds gradually throughout until it becomes central during the last forty or so minutes culminating in a showdown at a hurricane swept seaside town which reminded me of the recent film Crawl (2019), only this time instead of alligators we had armed assassins.

On the whole The Equalizer 2 was a pleasant surprise.
I enjoyed the first film but felt that this one was a lot superior to its predecessor.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th May 2020, 07:24 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Just ordered the second one this evening as part of a 4 for £8 from Music Magpie. Arnold (The Mummy) Vosloo takes over the role from Neeson but it (and the third one) are still supposed to be very good films.
I've only seen the first sequel once and it was years ago. Vosloo is no Neeson. I remember it being ok i think. I've got the blu-ray trilogy pack that was put out a few years back by Medium Rare but I've not actually watched any of the films since picking it up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th May 2020, 07:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The witch who came from the sea. 1976.

Molly who babysits her nephews and works night shift as a waitress in a bar and is in a relationship with the manager and also represses the memories of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father that leads her to kill.

This was a odd movie and obscure with the outline of the plot, Millie Perkins plays the role of Adult Molly who seems to enjoy things roughly and in flash back sequences we understand how and a slow downward spiral decent into madness. As well as she enjoys being with men it's like she actually despises men even having thoughts of their bloody gruesome deaths. The film may make little sense along with the slow pace but does have it's moments of disturbing, the killings are graphic that may make you squirm and the flash backs scenes may be uncomfortable to watch.

Attachment 224355
Tried watching this around 2 week ago really struggled too get into it so stopped about half way through.
Old 11th May 2020, 09:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

fighting_devil_dogs_ep_1.jpg
THE FIGHTING DEVIL DOGS (1938)
REPUBLIC SERIAL
12 CHAPTERS

A mysterious black costumed villain called The Lightning uses a powerful electrical thunderbolt weapon in his bid to take over the World.
Lt. Grayson and the Marines get involved when his father is killed in a huge explosion caused by The Lightning..

Good serial with a lot of red herrings as to who is The Lightning and the usual cliffhangers such as cars heading over cliffs.
One cliffhanger was where in a chase, two boats head between two ships that are closing together. Later to copied in Indiana Jones.

Old 11th May 2020, 12:40 PM
Active Cultist

I saw a couple of movies this last week, some of them worth a mention like Dunkirk (I didn't had a change to watch in the cinema but I just can imagine how beautiful must looked), Extraction (Netflix movie) - the action movies with an 80's feeling are coming back, I liked this movie a lot, straight to the point, shooting and explosions, The Disco Exorcist grindhouse homage with a naked lady every 5 minutes you can't go wrong with that. But the one that got the prize of best movie from this week it's

I Daniel Blake , its an emotional roller-coaster trough the bureaucratic system of British benefits - only the ending maybe could be different but still an excellent movie - Recommend .
Old 11th May 2020, 06:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Pacific Rim (2013)

Two hours plus of Charlie Hunnam and Rinko Kikuchi playing virtual reality video games against a bunch of rejected Godzilla monsters.

Guillermo del Toro...what the hell were you thinking making this garbage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pilot-Poster-one-sheet.jpg (101.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th May 2020, 07:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love story to the video nasties of the 80s , evil dead , gates of hell trilogy etc they all have a big influence on this movie. The movie opens with a young boy whom has pictures of demons on his wall that he has drew and tells his family he is visited by on at night, one night he see the demon and it tells him to enter a hole in the ground.

20 years or so later the boy emerges from the hole looking like a hippy Jesus. At the same time a group of demons have escaped and are killing people, changing some into demons and raising zombies. As the film progresses we learn that the demon that took the boy is a Yoda type character and is teaching to boy to use his powers to kill demons. It's all very bonkers in a fulci way.

Made on a small budget by a man , his family and friends many whom work in front and behind the camera ,surprisingly the acting is not half bad, but best of all it boasts some great gore and fantastic practical effects for kills and the monsters . The gore would not be out of places in a Fulci move. Found this to by far superior too most big budget horrors made today. 7.5/10

Now watching Mortuary (1983) but it just seems shit, might watch what we do in the shadows instead!
Old 11th May 2020, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sometimes They Come Back (1991)

A highly watchable if unspectacular tv adaptation of the Stephen King story that is helped by a good central performance from Tim Matheson as a schoolteacher who returns to his home town years after his brother was murdered by school bullies who in turn were all but one killed by a train in the same incident but the dead youths have now returned from the grave together with their phantom car.

The story engages but it does feel all a bit been there done that in the world of Stephen King. Like a medley of King's greatest hits amalgamating Stand By Me, It, Christine and even Pet Sematary into one plotline. There are also one or two quite damaging inconsistencies meaning the story doesn't play by it's own rules, but if you can overlook that then it's still an enjoyable slice of hokum (Finally i can use that line) and rather a fun suspenser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poster_of_the_movie_Sometimes_They_Come_Back.jpg (30.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th May 2020, 10:17 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Pacific Rim (2013)

Two hours plus of Charlie Hunnam and Rinko Kikuchi playing virtual reality video games against a bunch of rejected Godzilla monsters.

Guillermo del Toro...what the hell were you thinking making this garbage?
Spend to much time watching Evangelion

Like this? Share it using the links below!