Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179414Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2020, 11:41 AM
Cult Acolyte

s-l16.jpg
THE ISLAND (2005)

Living in a sterile isolated community structure, Lincoln Six Echo (Ewan McGregor) begins to question the truth about the facility and the outside world being contaminated. Each week there is a lottery to send one lucky person to a contamination free island. Lincoln finds out the truth about the facility in time to save his friend Jordan Two Delta (Scarlet Johansson) who has been picked to go to the island..

Good sci-fi thriller. Sort of a mixture of THX 1138 and LOGAN'S RUN.
The idea behind the facility is actually quite horrific and sad and the movie shifts between this and explosive action set pieces as the two leads go on the run.
Old 13th May 2020, 01:12 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Island owes a huge debt of gratitude to Parts: The Clonus Horror – I preferred the latter and recommend it.
Old 13th May 2020, 02:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default I'll see you I nourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Island owes a huge debt of gratitude to Parts: The Clonus Horror – I preferred the latter and recommend it.
Didn't it end up in court because of the similarities.???

Old 13th May 2020, 02:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Mortuary (Embalmed)1983

Mortuary (Embalmed) (1983)
A recent rewatch and a recycling of my first impression, nothing change,its an oddity and a slow burner but a fun piece of trash.
I had seen the poster in many magazines and even the old videotape case on occasion back in the glory days of video rental, Its a fantastic piece of artwork, just a shame it is a little misleading, then again so is the theatrical trailer (no Mr Berryman)...This has such an odd mixture of 70s satanic conspiracy film but has that 1980s slasher vibe you can only get with films made in that era. You also get young college kids (played by people who look like there in the late 20s), a roller disco where all the hip people hang out and a killer who is dressed like he is auditioning for a part in Wes Craven Scream, and a ridiculously young looking Bill Paxton...We also get the married acting team of Lynda Day George and Christopher George who a year earlier had just managed to fend off a chainsaw limb chopping and jigsaw fan maniac in Pieces (1982, USA / Spain)...Christopher George who runs the neighbourhood mortuary has something to hide, and when he is not selling his coffins or embalming people he is dancing around in satanic garb accompanied by the local women's institute, innocent fun or something more sinister...While not a fully fledged 80s slasher it is still a lot of fun and has lots going on to keep the viewer interested, while the plot is as silly as it gets, the few bits of gore, are pretty effective..If you enjoyed other 80s flicks like Mausoleum (1983) and Hell Night (1981)..then you might just enjoy this 80s sleeper....Also, any fans of horror movies were dead bodies are made to sit up like there at a party will enjoy this as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mortuary_poster_01.jpg (96.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 13th May 2020, 02:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Didn't it end up in court because of the similarities.???
Indeed it did:

Quote:
The creators of the 1979 film Parts: The Clonus Horror, which was also about a colony that breeds clones to harvest organs for the elite, filed a copyright infringement suit in 2005. DreamWorks attempted to have the suit dismissed but a federal judge determined that there was indeed a copyright infringement case to be heard and scheduled the case to go to trial in February 2007. However, DreamWorks then settled the case out of court in late 2006 for an undisclosed seven-figure sum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Is...ringement_suit
Old 13th May 2020, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Limey (1999)

My favourite Steven Soderbergh movie. The story of a career criminal (A never better Terence Stamp) who goes to L.A. to investigate the suspicious death of his daughter, is the sort of storyline that has been done to death over the years, be it in classic film Noir or even as recent as last year's Rambo: Last Blood.

Where Soderbergh's film triumphs is the structure of the narrative which is extremely fragmented showing flashbacks and even flashes forward to Stamp's flight back home, even the present is disjointed as scenes inter cut each other frequently. Reading this it sounds like a nightmare watch but it's due to Soderbergh's craftmanship that it's not in the least bit confusing nor convoluted, in fact it flows beautifully.

The Limey is a suspenseful crime thriller, with several matter of fact yet shocking acts of violence which elevate the film's intensity until we reach a superb showdown between Stamp's enraged Limey and slightly sleazy record producer, Peter Fonda, two icons of the sixties from either side of the Atlantic.

Dream like Neo-Noir at it's finest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 974351_Dkz2l0dA.jpg (24.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th May 2020, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Friday. 1940.

Doctor Sovac transplants the brain of a gangster to his friend's body to save his life, then a split personality emerges and takes over.

Nice little crime/thriller starring Boris Korloff and Bela Lugosi who don't appear on screen together which would have made this a perfect teaming up movie even though it was rumored they were to star opposite each other. Told in a letter that is read and why Sovac was due to be executed is well played out in a tale of robbery and greed and a innocent man caught in the middle. Korloff's role as Sovac was brilliant and can be haunting and menacing with his eyes as he is able to hypnotize those around him. Well worth a view.

MV5BNjBkMGYzNTgtOTM2Yi00ODM3LThkZWQtZDBlYjczYzIwYTQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 13th May 2020, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Bad Pack & The Expendables

The Bad Pack

B-Movie Action Film starring Robert Davi, Roddy Piper and Ralf Moller as part of a mercenary team hire by residents of a small town terrorized by a militia. Not going to win any major awards but it's the type of film that's right up my alley. It's OK but don't know when I'll watch it again.

The Expendables

The film that's got a dream cast for fans of Action movies. When I saw it opening night at The Cinema, it was one of the films that I hyped up in my mind so much that it would be a disappointment. Watching it again, it still didn't click for me. It had dull moments and the storyline was to ambitious for me. The Action movies I love so much was very simple, Action packed and knew what it was meant to do e.g. Commando, Die Hard and Under Siege. These films plot had a simple objective for it's hero to achieve and wasn't ambitious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbp.jpg (13.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg te.jpg (9.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th May 2020, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Monster Maker. 1944.

A mad scientist has created a formula that when injected in turns his subjects to be deformed.

J. Carroll Naish plays the mad scientist Dr. Igor Markoff who seems to lust after Patricia Morgan played by Wanda Mckay after seeing her at a concert in which her father played by Ralph Lawrence was a pianist and tries to get her attention. Unfortunately when she rejects him and her father goes to see the doctor her nightmare begins. Decent low budget movie with a good background score towards the end and decent cinematography, the make-up effects by Maurice Seiderman really does stand out for this movie era.

MV5BMWYzMzk2NWYtYWQwNi00OTg5LWJiYjItOTExOTdiNTJmYWU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDY4MzkyNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 13th May 2020, 11:25 PM
Cult Master

Messenger_of_Death.jpg

When a Mormon family are massacred a bitter fueed erupts between brothers both blaming each other for the murders. Gareth Smith is a reporter working for thee local news paper who writes up the story of the killings but he wants to help his friend the chief of police solve the case. In the close knit Mormon community it won't be easy getting information because they don't trust outsiders.

Not the film i was expecting especially with a title like that i was expecting more of an action film but i still really liked it. Bronson doesn't kick as many asses as he usually does but its a really interesting film with a few little twists along the way. It was a nice change of pace than the action extravaganza i was expecting and there is some beautiful scenes with the snowy mountains of Denver in the backdrop.

7/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!