Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2020, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Boys (Season 1)

The Boys (Season 1)

Bought this because Cobra Kai had sold out, but I liked the sound of it and I liked Karl Urban in Dredd and Antony Starr was great in Banshee. I admit that I'm a little fed up of Superhero films/movies but I liked the concept of the heroes being corrupt and abuse their position and a group of renegades trying to bring them down.

A main weakness I have is that when I start a series, I have to finish it before I watch anything else so whilst I enjoyed the series (8 episodes under 8 hours total) and the earlier episodes were bloody and has it's comedic moments, the fact I binged watched may have clouded my judgment over the last 2 episodes as I felt they were slower and nothing climatic really happened (I know there are further seasons) I will re-watch for a better judgment.

Last edited by nicholasrope; 20th May 2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 20th May 2020, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

@Nicholas

We have a thread for tv viewing (although there's a hell of a lot of Neighbours posted so you might want to avoid it )

What TV Have You Seen?
Old 20th May 2020, 11:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Snow Creature. 1954.

An american expedition in the Himalayas stumble upon a Yeti den, capture one and take it back home where it escapes.

This starts off as a narrative film/documentary type for the first part until the expedition finds the den, that should have been the first warning. Second warning was "we'll take it back home", kinda got the feeling this was a King Kong rip off where it does escape and run amok. Third warning was the poorly delivered acting and the creature costume..ok that wasn't too bad but it's only seen in darker bits and really don't' see the whole face. This sounded promising but wasn't enjoyable, best stick the the 1957 Peter Cushing film.

MV5BNjNiMjZlMmItZGM3MS00MDhjLThiOGYtMDgxNGQ5ODU2MzczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY0MjE4MTA@._V1_.jpg
Old 21st May 2020, 01:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

Posted in the wrong thread...
Old 21st May 2020, 02:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Graveyard Disturbance. 1989.

Five teens who rob a small shop come across a tavern and are dared to spend a night in the crypt and win a loot full of treasure.

Made for T.V. movie by Lamberto Bava i saw this years ago and forgot about it and maybe it should have stayed forgotten, very little happens as the teens seem to play pranks on each other, hands come out of nowhere and even a mummy in the tomb seems to awake and tries to awaken the other one and gets a slap for his troubles. The tavern keeper's make-up looked pretty well done but this film seems to drag on, Karl Zinny and Lino Salemme from Demons make a appearance doesn't help, even Bava has a small cameo role thats badly dubbed over.

Small trivia, in the tavern the television seems to be playing Bava's film Demons 2. If you enjoy this film my apologies for giving it a bashing.

MV5BMTM5NzY0OTI1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTA0MDAyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 21st May 2020, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night of the blood beast. 1958.

A astronaut is killed when his rocket crash lands on a secure base, when the base is cut off a alien emerges hoping to wipe out man kind, when the astronaut is revived his body is riddled with alien embryos.

If you focus on the elements of what's wrong with this film especially all the noticeable goofs, low budget alien costume, then there will be no point to enjoy it but this is one i will happily go back and watch it again. Michael Emmet plays the doomed astronaut who has brought something back with him contained in his body. The film does seem to be a influence of Alien and rally's to rely on atmospheric suspense and tension rather than jump scares. Decently made with some good cinematography and background score that helps build up the climatic ending.

MV5BODI1N2MwOTAtYWU1Ni00OTU1LTljNzAtNWRkYWM5YjZmNmY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY0MjE4MTA@._V1_.jpg
Old 21st May 2020, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Classic ultra violence , when cop Alex Murphy is shot and believed killed he returns to duty as Robocop whom sets out to clean the streets of old Detroit. Brilliant movie with great characters and actors. The adverts within the film are just great. A classic , why they even bothered with the remake i will never know, Weller is Robocop. 9/10

After superman screws up trying to stop Darkseid from invading the earth, the planet is left in ruins with most of its heroes missing or dead, superman returns some years later time poisoned with kryptonite rendering him poweless along with Raven he seeks the help of Constantine and suicide squad , to try and stop darksied , they also enlist the help of Damian Wayne in the chance that he can get through to his farther who is now Darksieds chief henchman. Surprisingly dark and violent probably more so than any of there live actions movies. 8/10

Now watching Fallen.

Last edited by trebor8273; 21st May 2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 21st May 2020, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Curse Of the Aztec Mummy. 1957.

The evil Dr. Krupp tries to find the jewels of Princess Xochitl and hypnotizes her reincarnation Flor to reveal where they are.

This was a bit of a let down as it seemed to be filmed in a rush at 65 minutes of running time it seems to drag on in parts, the dubbing seems well out of sinc with the actors mouths. Apart from being made in Mexico and released in the U.S. i thought this film would be great and another cash in on the mummy films it doesn't seem to go anywhere and has it's daft moments with a masked superhero guy known as "The Angel".

MV5BNGMxMTE3MzUtMDcyMC00ZWU5LWFjNDUtMjBhODQ3YWY1ZjEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc4Njg5MjA@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 21st May 2020, 10:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Sister Street Fighter, Zombie Flesh Eaters & Rush Hour

Sister Street Fighter

A female Policewoman is sent to find her kidnapped Brother who was undercover investigating a Drug Ring. OK film, decent Martial Arts, a bit weird when a see a demonstration of a technique it freezes and the name is shown like the credits. A funny bit is where the main villain says that he collects Fighters like others collect pets.

Zombie Flesh Eaters

Classic Horror, Italian Zombie movie and Video Nasty. A film that I have never seen in full before but really deserves it's reputation of not only being a good film but really bloody and violent. The Zombies F/X is awesome and when they rise up especially from the ground give me chills. The ending certainly left it up for a legitimate sequel. (Not sure if Zombie Flesh Eaters 2&3 were legitimate sequels)

Rush Hour

Jackie Chan is the Hong Kong Detective who is brought to the United States to find a Diplomat's kidnapped daughter. He is then teamed up with a motor mouthed Chris Tucker. I remember this being a lot better when it 1st came out. Chan is great as normal, the stunts were great but I'm not sure if Chris Tucker did a good job because his character annoyed me. It's still alright for a watch but I didn't enjoy it as much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssf.jpg (15.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg zfe.jpg (13.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rh.jpg (13.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Undead. 1957.

Two researchers procure the services of a young lady who agrees to be hypnotised and goes back to the middle ages where she is accused of being a witch.

A old 50s B movie from Roger Corman that isn't half bad, second time seeing this and it's a lot better than the first, it does have it's goofs and campy scenes but it's a laugh watching a gravedigger sing a few poems that actually rhyme. Pamela Duncan plays Diane who under hynosis becomes Helene who is accused of being a witch and will soon die. Val Dufour and Maurice Manson play the two researchers who are interested in past life experiences. Throughout the film there is the atmospheric scenery of fog which makes it more perfect to a good horror film and a unexpected ending in which Satan has a evil chuckle and smile.

MV5BN2FhMGE0NWEtNGVmMC00NjdmLTllMWUtNmFkZTc5MWNjZjBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzg1ODEwNQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!