LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2010, 06:19 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Right.....I just seen A Serbian Film
This movie is seriously messed up, gotta give it to the director as he has balls.
Its not quite as in your face as say Guinea Pig or August Underground but it is still shocking in one or two scenes. I have heard a lot of people say this movie is the most disturbing film they have seen. I would not go that far but it has its moments. Especially towards the end. Those of you who have not heard anything it contains the following:

* new born baby been raped (altho the baby is quite fake looking and if he did not pull his pants down you would have no idea what he was going because of the camera angle)

* woman who's teeth been pulled out as a penis shoved down her throat till she suffocates

* guy having sex with a woman while he been made to hit her and then chop her head off

* guy having anal sex with 2 people lying faced down covered faces and then he finds out he has raped his wife and young son.

Now I dont know what to make of it but one things for sure, London's Frightfest will be the only place to see this uncut in the UK as witg the sexual violence and scene with a young girl watching as guy gets sucked off would make them cut it. Not so sure if they would cut or ban it, Be interesting to see what happens.

Everyone needs to see this though. Ending is kinda too.
Sounds great!
Old 12th July 2010, 07:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
Had a visit to Tesco today and they were giving demos of the new 3D TVs. Has anyone had a try yet? I was rather impressed with the 3D effect through the shutter glasses. However if you move your vision away from the screen and look at something else, the shuttering effect kinda made me feel a little sick! After a few minutes watching, I took the specs off and carried on shopping and feel well and truely nauseous! Hmm, didn't feel like this at the cinema, so I am not sure if I will get used to the shutter glasses. Oh and each lense takes a CR2032 button battery that apparantly runs down real quick! Hmmmm wadda ya all think??

I'm yet to be convinced by 3D at the cinema, let alone at home! I haven't seen a single film in 2D where I thought "That film looks too flat -- if only it were made in 3D".

When my plasma need replacing I imagine it will be replaced by one with 3D technology but it won't be used as, just like you, the stereoscopic format gives me eyestrain and has, and on more than one occasion, led to a migraine.
Old 12th July 2010, 07:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Sounds great!

yup

edited it as my spelling was a bit off ha ha

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 12th July 2010, 08:31 PM
Active Cultist

Brooklyn's Finest. Good performance by Richard Gere. Ok NYC cop story.
Old 12th July 2010, 09:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just finished Satan's Blood - fairly intruiging but my interest was flagging a bit in the middle section. The ending was effective turned things around and was the best part of the film for my money. Worth the 2 quid I paid for it in any case...
Old 12th July 2010, 10:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched Satans Blood tonight too, had some good moments. Well worth £1.99.

I also watched Paris Je T'aime which I thought was wonderful, loved all 16 shorts but my fav was most probably the Coen Brothers one

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 12th July 2010, 10:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

last night i watched the first of a two part movie, MESRINE: KILLER INSTINCT, it was an outstanding gangster film and had an amazing performance by Vincent Cassel, highly recommended...
Old 13th July 2010, 09:12 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched the two Mesrine films back to back a while ago after seeing the first one at the cinema (the local arthouse one, not a multiplex).

Recently, I've seen films including:
Micmacs which is a wonderful comedy/fantasy by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and, whilst it's not his best work, is still eminently watchable.

Donnie Darko really makes you wonder what happened to Richard Kelly’s career as he was a genius in the making with this movie.

Chloe, which is a really interesting erotic thriller with Julianne Moore, Liam Neeson and Amanda Seyfried

Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff -- a terrific documentary about one of the unsung heroes of modern cinema.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:44 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Just finished Satan's Blood - fairly intruiging but my interest was flagging a bit in the middle section. The ending was effective turned things around and was the best part of the film for my money. Worth the 2 quid I paid for it in any case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I watched Satans Blood tonight too, had some good moments. Well worth £1.99.
I love Satan's Blood. An essential slice of eurosleaze, that mixes the sexual side and the horror aspects perfectly.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I think I probably posted some of these in the wrong thread, so I'll re-post here and add a couple...

Sherlock Holmes (2009) - Robert Downey Jr is Holmes and Jude Law is Watson in Guy Ritchie's lavish re-imagining of the Holmes character. Holmes and Watson are on the trail of a group of occultists who have evil plans afoot. Obviously, they save the day and all is not lost.

As extravagant as this was, I felt it lacked...something. There was no real depth to the characters and the script spent too much time on the sub-plot of Watson's romance with Mary (that Holmes is trying to ruin). It just felt awkward and Downey Jr was too obviously trying to mimic Basil Rathbone in some of his mannerisms. Still, not unenjoyable, I just felt it could have been better. At least it shows that Ritchie is capable of making films outside the cockney gangster genre.

The Firm (2009) - Nick Love remakes the Oldman film and puts his own spin on it. It's basically Bex's story, the leader of a violent London football 'firm' and how he is idolised by a younger member of the group. Things quickly turn sour as the violence escalates and things get out of hand. Nicely done with some good observations on life in the 80's. Worth a look - and thankfully here's a Love film that doesn't star Mockney Danny Dyer.

Giallo (2009) - Dario...stop. Please, just stop. Enough already. This was truly awful, even worse than the Third Mother. And why does everyone have big noses? And what's Brody doing in this? FFS he was in the oscar winning, The Pianist - and goes from that to this...and in this he just shuffles about non-commitedly, not making any sense and rubbing his chin thoughtfully (more like trying to work out the f*cking script).

The Italian courts should place an injunction on Argento preventing him from going anywhere near filmmaking equipment. The man has gone from genius to z-movie hack.

Aaaaarggh! My eyes! I can't take anymore!!!!! Someone make Argento stop!!

Changeling (2009) - Angeline Jolie is Christine Collins, a single mother living in Los Angeles in the 20's. When her son, Walter, goes missing, she obviously asks the police to find her missing son. 5 months later, with the police coming under increasing pressure to deliver, and with charges of corruption levelled against them, they produce a child. But it's not her son - even though the police insist it is. When she persists with the claim that it's not her son, they have her committed. A local reverend and broadcaster (John Malkovich), who is also committed to exposing police corruption in the city, intervenes. Gradually, as events unfold, the police are shown to have orchestrated this terrible affair of givng her someone else's son and when a serial killer of children is captured, things reach an explosive peak. Even more shocking is that this is based on a true story! Unbelievable! A surprisingly good turn form Jolie here who actually puts in some acting and pulls it off remarkably well, showing that she is capable of a fine performance when she chooses to put in the work. Brilliantly realised by director Clint Eastwood this is a superb film and well worth a look - I rented this on Blu-ray and I'm glad I gave it a watch.

Out From the Clouds (1955) - Another fine offering from Brit studio Ealing which takes a look at life in a London airport. At its heart there's a love story between two passengers who meet each other whilst waiting for flights to separate destinations. The film really does capture the randomness of meeting people whilst travelling. I had to laugh at the airport (which was shot on location, I believe) which consisted of a few desks to buy tickets and a complete lack of security screening. How times have changed. Although it did manage to squeeze in a tiny plot about drug smuggling, so Ealing certainly were a little ahead of their time on that score. A wonderful little film, but probably not up there with the likes of The Lavender Hill Mob or The Man in the White Suit, but it's a gem nevertheless. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

'Can't get a drink out of hours? Now I know we're in England!'

Like this? Share it using the links below!