Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2020, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Snuff 102 & Eaten Alive

Snuff 102

What can I say about this little Argentinian film, well it's earned it's reputation for being a really really nasty movie. If the stories about the Director being attacked by the audience at a Film Festival, then I can certainly believe it. Basically it's the story of a serial killer torturing and filming his victims whilst a student is talking to professor. It is shot like an industrial music video.

If the BBFC pass this then some drastic changes have been made and it'll mean a free for all on getting films passed.

Eaten Alive

Umberto Lenzi Cannibal Movie which sees Janet Agren hires Robert Kerman to help find her sister who has gone missing in Papua New Guinea after joining a Cult. Usual Italian Cannibal fare here but it's quite entertaining.

I think there's a reason on why this has not received a stronger version on Blu-Ray. Surely seeing that 88 Films and Shameless have done other Italian Cannibal Movies, that this would have been released by now if there wasn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s102.jpg (5.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ea.jpg (15.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th June 2020, 11:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Amazing Colossal Man. 1957.

A military officer survives a nuclear test only to grow into a unstable giant.

For some people who saw this in the 50s and 60s must have been scary, not of the giant but the footage of the nuclear test, for a film of this era it was pretty spectacular on how it was done. Glenn Langan plays Colonel Manning who is caught in the blast during a test and inexplicably grows every day then starts loosing his sanity on life. The effects are decently done as well as the cinematography on making Manning look taller than everyone. It may not be for everyone but i always have enjoyed it. Can anyone refresh my memory was there a sequel to this???

MV5BNjRmODc4ZTQtMzYyNS00ZGI0LWEzNzQtZDM5MzgxMGMxYzBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 9th June 2020, 05:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default War of the Colossal Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Amazing Colossal Man. 1957.

A military officer survives a nuclear test only to grow into a unstable giant.

For some people who saw this in the 50s and 60s must have been scary, not of the giant but the footage of the nuclear test, for a film of this era it was pretty spectacular on how it was done. Glenn Langan plays Colonel Manning who is caught in the blast during a test and inexplicably grows every day then starts loosing his sanity on life. The effects are decently done as well as the cinematography on making Manning look taller than everyone. It may not be for everyone but i always have enjoyed it. Can anyone refresh my memory was there a sequel to this???

Attachment 225123
War of the Colossal Beast….(1958)
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 9th June 2020, 06:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
War of the Colossal Beast….(1958)
Inspector
Old 9th June 2020, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default House On The Edge Of The Park & 10 To Midnight

House On The Edge Of The Park

Ruggero Deodato's take on the home invasion genre where David Hess and Giovanni Lombardo Radice invade a home and terrorize the occupants. In a way this is a well acted film with Hess again showing that he makes a great and convincing psychopath and Radice plays his part well also.

Obviously the Rape scene is the big controversy from this film and it is definitely unsettling to watch and even though there's a big reveal at the end it doesn't make sense that someone would consent to his girlfriend being raped and just stand there watching with his friends whilst she's being cut up. I even thought that she wasn't his Girlfriend after all, maybe a Hooker who knew what was coming but they didn't count on the razor. Maybe I put more thought into it. Oh yeah Riz Ortolani comes though with another haunting soundtrack.

Qudos on Shameless on getting this version released, the extras made it seem like quite a battle.

10 To Midnight

Charles Bronson Police Thriller where he is after a killer who is murdering women who he considers that they think that they are above him, he also phones the women doing sex talk. When Bronson has a suspect, he finds that the suspect has managed to create himself an airtight alibi.

I saw on the 88 Films thread that people were raving about this film and realized that I had it as part of a box set, so I watched it and it is a very enjoyable watch.

Must say saying a completely naked killer chasing a completely naked woman (Who has no survival instincts whatsoever) in the woods is something that you don't usually see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoteotp.jpg (11.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 10tm.jpg (16.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th June 2020, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

I don't think a movie has been done better than this about a teenager as an alienated victim of both his family and society in general.

It's depiction of rebellion hits the right notes without being over the top be it frustrations with a weak father, an over bearing mother and peer pressure from so called friends, not to mention teenage drinking, knife fights and deadly games of chicken in stolen cars.

Nicolas Rey directs this brilliantly letting his young cast excel and there are memorable performances from Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo.

There's one name i've yet to mention and that is of course James Dean who played Jim Stark, the rebellious youth lacking a cause. Dean is for want of a better word, phenomenal. His angry, heartfelt performance would make him a poster boy for young people everywhere, even to this day, and his portrayal of Stark would epitomize his tragically short career and life.

The film itself would get four stars but Dean claims the fifth all to himself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71msYmMdJPL._AC_SY606_.jpg (64.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th June 2020, 04:23 PM
Cult Veteran

His dad is so infuriating, you really feel sorry for Jim! Due a re-watch soon I think.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th June 2020, 06:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

War of the Colossal Beast. 1958.

Glenn Manning "Colossal Man" believed to be dead re-emerges in Mexico, suffering Brain damage, disfigured and hungry, the authorities attempt to catch him and take him back to the States.

This was a good sequel that almost matches the first film, Bert I. Gordon returns to the directors chair only this time a new set of actors are in and the special effects match up with Gordon doing the creation of the make-up. It does have it's moments of being a bit slow and does pick up again with some flash backs when Glenn is asleep. I do find it funny that it was made in black and white only to the end it does go to color for a small brief moment. Enjoyable.

MV5BZTBhNzExNDItOWE5Ni00MzE4LWI2NDktZTBlYjZlOTI3ZTlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 10th June 2020, 07:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
His dad is so infuriating, you really feel sorry for Jim!
His dad is played by Jim Backus...

...who is best remembered for providing the voice of Mr. Magoo

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th June 2020, 07:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
House On The Edge Of The Park

Ruggero Deodato's take on the home invasion genre where David Hess and Giovanni Lombardo Radice invade a home and terrorize the occupants. In a way this is a well acted film with Hess again showing that he makes a great and convincing psychopath and Radice plays his part well also.

Obviously the Rape scene is the big controversy from this film and it is definitely unsettling to watch and even though there's a big reveal at the end it doesn't make sense that someone would consent to his girlfriend being raped and just stand there watching with his friends whilst she's being cut up. I even thought that she wasn't his Girlfriend after all, maybe a Hooker who knew what was coming but they didn't count on the razor. Maybe I put more thought into it. Oh yeah Riz Ortolani comes though with another haunting soundtrack.

Qudos on Shameless on getting this version released, the extras made it seem like quite a battle..
Did Shameless get this through the BBFC unscathed?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!