Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179035Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2020, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Unlikely, but to some one who hasn't seen even the cut version might appear quite nasty. Depends origin of release???? nicolas can you expand ta???

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th June 2020, 08:01 PM
Cult Addict

Just looked on Melon farmers apparently House at the edge of the park is still cut by 43 seconds, which is less than i thought, mostly to the razor scene.
Demoncrat likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th June 2020, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Unlikely, but to some one who hasn't seen even the cut version might appear quite nasty. Depends origin of release???? nicolas can you expand ta???
This is regarding The Vipco Release in 2002 which I did buy:

It was finally passed for video release in 2002 after a staggering 11 minutes 43secs of cuts which mostly removed the rape and assault scenes and heavily edited the razor-slashing of Cindy, the opening murder scene, and shots of Tony's head being slammed against a table.

The version I watched was the Shameless Release but I did have the American Version. Regarding the Shameless one, on the extras, I'm pretty sure that they had to battle to get the scenes in. Granted I haven't watched the extras for a long time but I'm pretty sure they mentioned Salo and/or other films which had similar scenes. There was a feature where a University Lecturer was giving a talk.

For the record, I believe that the Vipco version made the Rape scene a lot worse because all you saw were the faces and left it to the imagination.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 10th June 2020, 09:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Last nights horror double bill..

Most-Dangerous-Game.jpg
THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (1932)

Great horror. The castle of Zaroff looks excellent and very atmospheric.
Zaroffs trophy room is also suitably horrific. The jungle sets for King Kong were used in this movie.

The-Curse-of-Frankenstein-1957-poster.jpg
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)

Hammer's cracking first Frankenstein movie. Great acting, music score and full of gothic atmosphere. Just awesome!
Old 10th June 2020, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Crocodile Dundee, A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood & 21 Bridges

Crocodile Dundee

Iconic 1986 Movie in which a New York Newspaper Reporter travels to The Australian Outback to do a feature on Mick "Crocodile" Dundee regarding him surviving a Crocodile attack. He then shows her around The Outback and then it's his turn to be the fish out of water as he is then taken back to New York.

I was really young and just getting my bearings regarding my film knowledge when this came out for Rental so I was unaware of how much a big deal this movie was and how big of a Box Office success it was. Then again in hindsight, the fact that my Mum was so keen to rent it (And she wasn't a keen Film fan) should have been a giveaway on how much of a phenomenon it was and I can certainly see way, it's a really fun film with likeable characters even though I'm sure that what Paul Hogan is really like cranked up.

Also The VHS Rental cover is one of those that gives me fond memories of 80's Video Rental releases. Also the fact it advertised Peggy Sue Got Married, When The Wind Blows, Space Camp and Short Circuit gives me those nostalgic memories as well.

A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood

Tom Hanks plays Fred Rodgers, a beloved Children's TV personality who is interviewed by Matthew Rhys and is able to help show the Reporter the meaning of kindness, forgiveness...etc. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this Movie but it's not one I can see watching for a long time or just forwarding to the best bits.

21 Bridges

Chadwick Boseman is the Policeman along with Sienna Miller on the hunt for 2 Cop killers on the run in Manhattan. It a brisk 95 minutes it's more of a fast past movie which stays on point and doesn't dwell on personal lives and any other side storylines and I must say there is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. This is a good watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd.jpg (15.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg abditn.jpg (10.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 21b.jpg (10.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th June 2020, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
This is regarding The Vipco Release in 2002 which I did buy:

It was finally passed for video release in 2002 after a staggering 11 minutes 43secs of cuts which mostly removed the rape and assault scenes and heavily edited the razor-slashing of Cindy, the opening murder scene, and shots of Tony's head being slammed against a table.

The version I watched was the Shameless Release but I did have the American Version. Regarding the Shameless one, on the extras, I'm pretty sure that they had to battle to get the scenes in. Granted I haven't watched the extras for a long time but I'm pretty sure they mentioned Salo and/or other films which had similar scenes. There was a feature where a University Lecturer was giving a talk.

For the record, I believe that the Vipco version made the Rape scene a lot worse because all you saw were the faces and left it to the imagination.
Oh, I've got the US release as well, a sick and disturbing treat after the kids version we got handed to us by THEM. Appalling way to treat adults.
nicholasrope likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th June 2020, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Last nights horror double bill..

Attachment 225166
THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (1932)

Great horror. The castle of Zaroff looks excellent and very atmospheric.
Zaroffs trophy room is also suitably horrific. The jungle sets for King Kong were used in this movie.

Attachment 225167
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957)

Hammer's cracking first Frankenstein movie. Great acting, music score and full of gothic atmosphere. Just awesome!

Dave Boy likes this.

[B]
Old 10th June 2020, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghost fever. 1986.

Two police officers are sent to enforce a eviction notice on a house, only downside it's reputed to be haunted and the eviction does not go according to plan.

Sherman Hemsley ( The Jefferson) comes away from T.V shows to mainstream film for this comedy horror (which he helped fund and nearly broke him financially). Here he plays Buford who knows the place is haunted and partner Benny doesn't believe him or any ghost tales. Along the way they meet two sisters and a psychic medium who tries to calm the ghosts one of them Jethro (Sherman Hemsley). this was old school comedy horror and Sherman trying his best to make the laughs go on. 80s cheesy films are always the best.

MV5BMTM0MDAwMTQ3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTk3MTA5._V1_.jpg
Old 10th June 2020, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Burial Ground

Cthulhu, I'm bored. So I thought, what's the one film I absolutely hate but love in equal amounts. Refusing to sit through The Ruling Class or The Saragossa Maunscript, I try and keep the long ones for the weekend etc, I stuck this one on. Tis the Shriek Show dvd. I bought it because the trailer on their ZFE had more gore in it that the 69 min version I once rented on vhs

A riot. You want them all to die, merely through their insistance upon themselves. PETER BARK. "You're turning into a great little model ..." ....it keeeps on giving this one. The horrible realisation that this is the world we're living in, what with it's tenous link to actual imperical reality.

[B]
Old 10th June 2020, 10:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Ghost fever. 1986.

Two police officers are sent to enforce a eviction notice on a house, only downside it's reputed to be haunted and the eviction does not go according to plan.

Sherman Hemsley ( The Jefferson) comes away from T.V shows to mainstream film for this comedy horror (which he helped fund and nearly broke him financially). Here he plays Buford who knows the place is haunted and partner Benny doesn't believe him or any ghost tales. Along the way they meet two sisters and a psychic medium who tries to calm the ghosts one of them Jethro (Sherman Hemsley). this was old school comedy horror and Sherman trying his best to make the laughs go on. 80s cheesy films are always the best.

Attachment 225171
SOLD AF
MrBarlow likes this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!