Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2020, 01:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Arnold. 1973.

Upon his death, Arnold marries his mistress and leaves clues on tapes and death traps for those who only cared for his money.

This was a nice little murder mystery from the grave with some comedy, horror and suspense blended in, right from the start you can sense the comedy of a woman marrying a corpse except the deceased had made other plans to see who was greedy and who wasn't interested in his wealth. Roddy McDowell and Elsa Lanchester play the siblings to the deceased Arnold. Shani Wallis plays the former Lady and widow and Stella Stevens plays the new buxom wife and every man's desire. From start to finish this decent played out and never got dull or boring.

MV5BYmE0NDI4MGItM2Q0ZS00MTJiLWI2MDEtYTJiNDQ5MTEzNjYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 11th June 2020, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

1973 is fast becoming my second favourite tbh. Noted MrB!!!

Empty Metal (2018, Adam Khaill/ Bayley Sweitzer)

An odd wee thing this.
Whilst I could say the cloest comparison would be Fish Story, even that would be not quite fit this bill.
A fun flick to watch in these times. Soup and avant garde noise and telepathy, you know, that old story .
Arch AF, bordering on pretension at times, but gee tis pretty and that. Better than Bliss and all!!

Becky

Someone gave the King Of Queens Mein Kampf to read it seems.
A very silly, badly plotted "thriller" which has a massively black joke at the heart of it. See it and tell me you don't agree?
Besides that it's spiffingly violent. Wooooh female identified parent etc.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th June 2020, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Norliss Tapes. 1973.

A investigative reporter is drawn into a case where a artist has made a pact to back to life after his death to create a demon statue and kills people using their blood as clay.

This was meant to be a pilot episode that the series was never picked up and is now a stand alone movie and was interesting concept of zombie, vampire and voodoo mixed in. Roy Thinnes plays David Norliss the reporter who is drawn into a mystery when Ellen Cort (Angie Dickinson) is attacked at home by her deceased husband and nobody believes her, when a young girl dies mysteriously the Sheriff begins to doubt his beliefs. This wasn't a slow burner and fairly enjoyable.

MV5BMTYzMzUwNDE0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAyNjYzMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 11th June 2020, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not just the net, I've put a film on around midday, you then get side tracked by things like your partner, pets taking dog for a walk, going shop, internet, people on phone or txts, teatime and other things that by end of the day I haven't even finished the film.
Old 11th June 2020, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Burial Ground

Cthulhu, I'm bored. So I thought, what's the one film I absolutely hate but love in equal amounts. Refusing to sit through The Ruling Class or The Saragossa Maunscript, I try and keep the long ones for the weekend etc, I stuck this one on. Tis the Shriek Show dvd. I bought it because the trailer on their ZFE had more gore in it that the 69 min version I once rented on vhs

A riot. You want them all to die, merely through their insistance upon themselves. PETER BARK. "You're turning into a great little model ..." ....it keeeps on giving this one. The horrible realisation that this is the world we're living in, what with it's tenous link to actual imperical reality.
Didn't Vipco release this as The Zombie Dead?
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 11th June 2020, 08:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Well i have to admit, I haven't watched a horror film for a good couple of months, kinda burnt out on them so taking a big break I have however watched a ton of films...

Taking advantage of Disney+

Thor
Captain America The First Avenger
Avengers Assemble
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians Of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age Of Ultron
Ant-Man
Captain America Civil War
Dr. Strange
Guardians Of The Galaxy 2
Thor Ragnarok

Also watched

Guns Akimbo
Interstellar
Attack The Block
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Back To The Future
&
Fear Is The Key (1973)
Old 11th June 2020, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Airplane & Street Smart

Airplane

Classic 80's slapstick Comedy in which a confidence drained pilot has to land a plane. 1st time I've seen this and it is funny however some jokes wouldn't be included now (The Boy in the cockpit isn't funny in any era)

Street Smart

Christopher Reeve is a Magazine Writer who fakes a story about a pimp, it becomes a popular article however as luck will have it, a District Attorney and the man he is prosecuting (Morgan Freeman playing a pimp) believe the story is about Freeman so it ends up that Reeve is having to defend himself against prosecution due to him having to provide his notes and to stop Freeman from forcing him to provide an alibi.

This is a 1987 Cannon Film released by Warner Home Video and whilst it's no an Action Packed Movie, it holds your attention. I went on Amazon looking to buy Switching Channels and for a few extra quid, I was to get that and this in a triple pack from Spain (No idea what the 3rd film is)

There are a few films released from Warner Home Video from the 80's that haven't seen a UK release, this one, Wisdom and Tough Guys Don't Dance spring to mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (14.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sm.jpg (13.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th June 2020, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Martin. 1977.

A young believes he is a 84 year old vampire, travels to Pennsylvania to live with his older cousin who promises to rid him of his evil curse.

George A. Romero's very much underrated vampire movie with a difference as Martin does not have fangs and power of the mind to seduce women but merely drugs them and uses blades to open a vein. it is played out with some psychological drama with horror as part of the story is told in flashbacks or suppressed memories that eventually come to light. The acting is on top notch from John Amplas who plays the young Martin and Lincoln Mazzel as the over bearing cousin who believes Martin to be Nosferatu, from start to finish it never gets boring.

MV5BNmM1ZTJiOTItNGMzYy00OTM4LWI2OGYtOWE0ZWRkNjMzYmQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk0Nzc5OTY@._V1_.jpg
Old 11th June 2020, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Not just the net, I've put a film on around midday, you then get side tracked by things like your partner, pets taking dog for a walk, going shop, internet, people on phone or txts, teatime and other things that by end of the day I haven't even finished the film.
I'd definitely be sidetracked if my pet was taking the dog for a walk.
Old 12th June 2020, 12:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Necromancy. 1972. (aka The Witching).

A young couple travel to a small town called Lilith, unaware its a coven for witches who want to sacrifice the female newcomer.

Orson Welles plays town leader Mr Cato who also practices the darks arts of Witchcraft, Tarot and Voodoo and tries to resurrect his deceased son and needs a pure soul. Pamela Franklin and Micheal Ontkean are the new arrivals who seem to think the new move will be a big step. The plot may seem a bit thin and weak but when you have Franklin and Welles in a film you tend to forget about the plot that's mixed with psychological games and a dark atmosphere. Maybe best viewed in the right frame of mind and no distractions.

MV5BOTAwZWJkZmEtY2FlNC00MTdjLTlmY2UtZDkxZDQ3NTdmNDdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgzODE3NDk@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!