Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2020, 10:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'd definitely be sidetracked if my pet was taking the dog for a walk.
Surprising what you can train your cats to do, after all apes ruled the world in the 70s.
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 12th June 2020, 04:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

c35d1fa3-de4c-4a3c-b87a-f8641c05cb89.jpg
THE SECRET OF BLOOD ISLAND (1965)

British secret agent Barbara Shelley parachutes down near a Japanese prisoner of war camp after her plane is hit.
The prisoners hide her among them in the camp while deciding what to do.
Suspicious that the prisoners are hiding her, the Japanese begin to torture them..

Very rare Hammer Film.
Somewhat similar of course to The Camp On Blood island. The Japanese are cruel in their treatment of the prisoners and there is a lot of whipping going on and screams from Barbara Shelley when they get hold of her.
This time shot in colour, it's a good film making full use of Black Park for the prison camp and a recognisable cast of course from Hammer's movie catalogue.
Old 12th June 2020, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cat Creature. 1973.

When a rich man dies and some of his collections are stolen, one being a Egyptian amulet, a string of mysterious deaths occur involving a cat.

Another T.V made movie from the 70s that does seem quite predictable on who the Egyptian Queen is but still fun to watch. After a old attorney dies when a theif breaks in Lt. Marco (Stuart Whitman) teams up with a University Professor Roger Edmons (David Hedison) to find the amulet and it's meaning. It's not a edge of your seat bone chilling film with jumps and scares so don't expect to be hiding behind a cushion, John Carradine, Meredith Baxter and Gale Sondergaard join the cast.

MV5BNTUwOGMwNzYtN2E0ZC00MTg2LTlkYjEtOTg1NzUyYjA2MzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_.jpg
Old 12th June 2020, 06:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Dollars Trilogy + Once Upon a Time in the West, (which to the Western is what 2001 is to Science Fiction, absolute perfection!).
Old 12th June 2020, 06:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Robin hood

What Disney's Robin Hood has in its favour,over certain other adaptations,is that it does not feature a irritating song by Bryan Addams, although it does have Roger Miller as a folk singing cockarel. Other such notable voice acting comes from Peter Ustinov as Prince John,and the wonderful Terry Thomas as Sir Hiss, playing a snake of course. Phil Harris voices Little John,who sounds and looks remarkably like Baloo from a certain Jungle Book. Robin Hood is voiced by Brian Bedford,who was a theatre actor mainly, the only thing I remember him for was James Garner's rival in the excellent Grad Prix. Like most Disney movies from that period,it pretty much has abit of everything,some songs, and as usual the classic Disney look, with some tremendous art, especially Prince John's castle as they prepare the gallows for Friar Tuck. It was animated by the same team who did Jungle Book,so it's no coincidence it has the same feel as that classic..Just another wonderful piece of escapism,for kids and adults alike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vwd393199LARGE.jpg (105.3 KB, 1 views)

Old 12th June 2020, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's not as bad as you might think with how the reviews made out to be, it certainly more enjoyable than birds of prey. Sonic ends up on earth and soon comes to the attention of Doctor Robotnik , played by Jim Carey who gives a performance that's online with his earlier roles , Mask, Ace Ventura etc. 6.7/10

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 14th June 2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12th June 2020, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wow why did it take me so long to watch this, two young magicians( wolverine and Batman) become bitter rivals and keep trying to one up each other after a accident that causes the death of Jackmans wife. It all comes to a head when Jackman dies performing his latest trick and Bale is arrested for his murder.

The film starts with the death and is told in flashbacks from both magicians dairys.

Absolutely brilliant but a film you have to pay attention too. Brilliant cast that as well as the two leads includes

Michael Cain
Scarlett Johansson
Andy Serkis
And David Bowie as Nikola Tesla

9.5/10
Old 12th June 2020, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

What became of Jack and Jill. 1972.

A young slacker tries to induce a heart attack on his elderly grandmother to collect her inheritance by make her believe a youth supremacist group is out to get the elderly for mass genocide.

I wouldn't say this was stylish gritty British horror but mere thriller/ psychological flick that was funded by Amicus and seemed to fallen off the radar (thanks to the powers of the internet and YouTube where i found it). Paul Nicholas (Just Good Friends) plays 20 something John a lay about who wants the inheritance and tries to get rid of "sweet oled granny (Mona Washbourne) with the help of his girlfriend Jill (Vanessa Howard). It is a bit of a slow burner and does seem to pick up then back to being slow. Not one to watch over and over again.

MV5BYmYyMmZjMzktNzE3MC00ZjA3LTg3ZjMtOTQ5Mjk0NmQ3NDE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgzODE3NDk@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 12th June 2020, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Legal Eagles & The Big Racket

Legal Eagles

1986 Courtroom Comedy starring Robert Redford as a A.D.A. who ends up assisting Debra Winger's Defense Attorney in helping Daryl Hannah who is accused of Art Theft.

Directed by Ivan Reitman, it was a film I remember seeing in the Video Rental magazines but never watched. However I found it on the Sony Classic Movie channel, so I gave it a go and it's a decent time filler.

The Big Racket

Italian Crime Thriller in which a Detective is desperately trying to bring down a Crime syndicate that is using violent methods in running a Protection Racket.

I remember when I picked this up because I had started my 1st real job and received one of my earlier pay days (Believe it was either the 2nd or 3rd) and as it was monthly pay for full time hours, I had a lot more spare money so I didn't have to choose what I really wanted or by more stringent with my DVD and CD purchases. Basically if I wanted it, I bought it.

As it was one of my earlier paydays, I just went on a spending spree and picked this up for 17.99 from MVC (Yes they were expensive back then) and I was certainly not disappointed by this film. It is awesome, you get so involved in this because you want the bad guys to get what they deserve and you are rooting for the good guys.

Highly recommended
Attached Images
File Type: jpg le.jpg (13.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg tbr.jpg (9.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 12th June 2020, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
What became of Jack and Jill. 1972.

A young slacker tries to induce a heart attack on his elderly grandmother to collect her inheritance by make her believe a youth supremacist group is out to get the elderly for mass genocide.

I wouldn't say this was stylish gritty British horror but mere thriller/ psychological flick that was funded by Amicus and seemed to fallen off the radar (thanks to the powers of the internet and YouTube where i found it). Paul Nicholas (Just Good Friends) plays 20 something John a lay about who wants the inheritance and tries to get rid of "sweet oled granny (Mona Washbourne) with the help of his girlfriend Jill (Vanessa Howard). It is a bit of a slow burner and does seem to pick up then back to being slow. Not one to watch over and over again.

Attachment 225222
I really want this released by BFI or Network. I really want to see it and own it. It's one of the few movies from the Ten Years of Terror book i don't own.

Like this? Share it using the links below!