Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179043Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2020, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I was all up for watching Artemis Fowl until the reviews started trickling in, getting beyond bad critiques Currently hovering around 1 star on Letterboxd!
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th June 2020, 07:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I was all up for watching Artemis Fowl until the reviews started trickling in, getting beyond bad critiques Currently hovering around 1 star on Letterboxd!
Everyone involved should feel deeply ashamed, it's rare for the critics and public to totally agree.

Even for free i feel ripped off, Disney should give everyone who's seen it a free year of Disney plus.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 13th June 2020, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The House of Exorcism. 1973.

A American tourist stays the night in a Spanish Villa and believes she is caught in a nightmare.

Elke Sommer takes the lead role as the tourist who finds herself lost in the side streets after seeing a portrait and looking at a man who resembles the demon of the picture. Telly Savalas appears as the stranger who brings out the evil of all men with his charm and very dark sinister motives but it's always a pleasure to see him in any film. Unfortunately this was the edited version of Bava's masterpiece of "Lisa and the Devil" with the alternate ending which includes a jump on the bandwagon Exorcist finale which seems laughable and seems to be shot quickly, with the gothic atmosphere and dark tone to the film does make the build up appealing to the end.

MV5BOTQyMDkyYjgtMjNlMy00MjgwLWFiMzQtZDkxY2U3ODhkMjUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th June 2020, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Barb Wire (1996)

Seeing as Casablanca is my favourite movie of all time you'd be forgiven for thinking i'd hate this sci-fi dystopian future (It's the year 2017) comic book in all but name remake.

But i don't, in fact i really like Barb Wire.

Pamela Anderson is a large part of why i love this film. Throughout the nineties she was pretty much the ultimate rock chick and she performs that role to the maximum in Barb Wire. Sporting a series of leather and pvc fetish style outfits that barely hide her ample charms throughout, this role was practically made for her. The owner of a flash nightclub in the grungy city of Steel Harbor (The last free city)(Where Die Cheerleader regularly perform it seems) she drips with a seedy sexuality, even if her role in the film is more asexual as no one comes close to being romantically involved with her, but she uses her sexuality for her own mainly monetary gains moonlighting as a bounty hunter when it suits her and is as tough and cynical as they come. The opening minutes where she performs a sexy strip sequence at a rival club before stylishly murdering a loud mouthed punter with a stiletto heel sums her up to a tee.

It's not just Anderson, the support cast are great. When i say great i'm not talking Claude Rains and Ingrid Bergman great, but B-movie sci-fi trash great. The bald Udo Keir is a lot of fun as Barb's loyal nightclub manager as is Xander Berkeley in the role of Claude Rains' police chief. Steve Railsback makes for a deliciously fun Nazi-esq Colonel, and Temeura Morrison is good if a little underused in the gender switched role that Bergman played as Rick's former lover in Casablanca. It's a pity that Victoria Rowell (In the Victor Laszlo role) is almost a footnote in proceedings but Clint Howard's cameo as a crooked bail bondsman makes up for it.

The movie looks great and has a crunching soundtrack which is let down only by Anderson's hubby at the time, Tommy Lee, and his Godawful Planet Boom (Why couldn't they have used a Motley Crue song i ask?). The story itself is, well you probably know the story, but sci-fi macguffins like bio-weapon plans and retinal scan avoidance contact lenses enter in also as the movie builds to a terrific action packed forty minute finale involving armoured vans and cranes high above the city harbor. It's an exciting third act in which Anderson performed quite a lot of the stunt work herself, which surprisingly comes across as realistic and refreshingly CGI free for the most.

I'm not going to pretend Barb Wire is a good movie and those that don't like still won't like it twenty five years down the line, but it's a fun movie and you can tell the cast know it's just meant to be fun rather than a serious remake of one of the most renowned films of all time. Basically Barb Wire is to Casablanca what Showgirls is to All About Eve.
This was my 1st 15 rated film I saw at the Cinema, it was a MGM and Executive Decision was out the following week.
Old 13th June 2020, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Good ten years since I last saw this one. Jim Carrey plays Stanley Ipkiss a loveable loser who after finding a mask becomes a wacky superhero and gets unwittingly involved in the affairs of a local mobster and falls in love with the mobsters girlfriend , Cameron Diaz in a early role. It's all very looney tunes with its violence and the Masks powers. The real star of the show is Carrey's energetic performance without out it the film would of not been half as good. The Dog was also excellent . 7.5/10

Now watching greatest werewolf movie ever.

Last edited by trebor8273; 13th June 2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 13th June 2020, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's had a couple of delays when it was supposed to be at the Cinema
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 13th June 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
It's had a couple of delays when it was supposed to be at the Cinema
Think they it was always poo and kept trying to fix it but you can't polish a turd.
Justin101 likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 13th June 2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 13th June 2020, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Driving Miss Daisy, Richard Jewell & The Untouchables

Driving Miss Daisy

Morgan Freeman is hired by Dan Ackroyd to drive his strong willed mother Jessica Tandy around. After a battle of wills, the eventually become friends. A decent film, I was expecting more issues regarding racism however that's not a major issue. Another bonus was, I was expecting a 2 hour to 2hr30 minute film so having a film under 100 minutes was fine with me.

Richard Jewell

Clint Eastwood directed film which tells the true story of the man who found a bomb during the Atlanta Olympics but is placed under immediate suspicion.

This is in the similar vain as Sully and this came and went at Cinemas with the minimum of fuss and this a impulse purchase for me. Granted I was second guessing myself afterwards so I put it on as a background movie whilst I was on my Laptop, however this was a very riveting movie with a great performance by Paul Walter Hauser as Richard Jewell and Sam Rockwell as his Lawyer. John Hamm, Kathy Bates and Olivia Wilde also co-star. If you are on the fence regarding this one, watch it, I don't think You'll be disappointed.

The Untouchables

Classic Gangster film in which Kevin Costner plays Elliott Ness who tries to bring down Robert DeNiro's Al Capone. Sean Connery and Andy Garcia assist Costner.

This is a really good movie, great performances and DeNiro has a serious villain is always a delight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dmd.jpg (14.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rj.jpg (12.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tu.jpg (13.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th June 2020, 10:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I, Tonya (2017) ★★★★

Quote:
Competitive ice skater Tonya Harding rises amongst the ranks at the U. S. Figure Skating Championships, but her future in the sport is thrown into doubt when her ex-husband intervenes.
A thoroughly enjoyable and fascinating film with some laugh-out-loud moments. I was only vaguely aware of Nancy Kerrigan and 'the incident' which made Tonya Harding famous beyond the world of figure skating, so this was informative in telling the story about Harding's career and her strained relationships with her mother and ex-husband.

In telling the story of the attack on Nancy Kerrigan and the FBI investigation into finding who did it and who knew about it, the saying about truth being stranger than fiction comes to mind because there is an assortment of idiots and screw ups who wouldn't be out of place in a Coen brothers comedy!

Margot Robbie is terrific in the title role, Alison Janney typically brilliant as her demanding/abusive mother and, as Harding's husband (and ex-husband), Sebastien Stan is nearly unrecognisable.

This is very well written and innovatively directed with a variety of aspect ratios and aesthetic touches to make the interviews visually interesting. It's available to watch on Netflix and comes highly recommended from me.

Old 13th June 2020, 10:13 PM
Active Cultist

This is the kind of movies Arrow should be putting out there.. not Pitch Black..

I loved every minute of this movie, the piano soundtrack, the little twisted in the end, the atrocious acting - it's a little slow on the begin but when the knife starts the stabbing it doesn't stop

Like this? Share it using the links below!