LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th June 2020, 11:41 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Can i give infractions for not liking Friday the 13th movies?

Only if I can too!
Old 20th June 2020, 11:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

They-Came-From-Beyond-Space-wallpaper.jpg
THEY CAME FROM BEYOND SPACE (1967)

While investigating a strange formation meteor shower, a group of scientists have their bodies taken over by a mysterious force. Later, humans that appear to die of a plague are transported to the moon..

Amicus movie originally released on a double bill with another Amicus film 'The Terrornauts' (1967).
Low budget film which although spends most of the movie Earth bound, there is some nice model work by SFX legend Les Bowie.
Enjoyable sci fi and by no means a terrible movie that most critics would have you believe.
Old 20th June 2020, 12:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Only if I can too!
Deal!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 20th June 2020, 03:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Winter Kills (1979, William Richert)

Obssessed by films of this year as I am, some can be fun, some just cause my jaw to drop and then there's The Visitor . The reason I mention that one, is that topping his performance in TV is John Huston in red underpants.
An insane, if flatly told, conspiracy "thriller" that has a cast to die for but also the cheapest "explosion" I've ever witnessed on screen. Lawdy it's bonkers if quite dull. Lawdy.
Next!!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th June 2020, 04:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Justice League (2017) ★★★

It's impossible not to make comparisons between this and The Avengers, the Marvel equivalent of DC's 'Superhero All-Star' movie, a match where DC comes second best to the MCU franchise. Part of the reason is that Marvel spend much more time developing the characters as by the time the first Avengers film was released, all of the main characters (Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America) had their own origin films before the first Avengers film.

By contrast, this was first the first outing for Flash, a character I hadn't seen much of before – a tiny role in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I was also unfamiliar with Cyborg, as I can't remember the sequence featuring him in Batman v Superman, so he is a character about whom I knew nothing prior to watching this

It had been years since I saw Man of Steel, about seven months since I saw Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and I couldn't really remember exactly what happened in those films, so I feel like to rewatch those, Wonder Woman and then give this another watch.

As for the film itself, the action sequences are very well handled and I like most of the cast, particularly Gal Gadot, and Ezra Miller, whose portrayals of Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, and Barry Allen/The Flash , respectively, are very good. At the other end of the spectrum is Ben Affleck, who just looks bored of proceedings. Where the film suffers most is in the storytelling because without the origin stories for The Flash and Victor Stone/Cyborg told in separate films, the script is left tell their stories and introduce the antagonist, Steppenwolf. The sheer amount of heavy lifting needed for this results in a film which spends too much of the film, practically all the first half, being bogged down in character development when it should be delivering exciting action sequences. It's a film which could have benefited from being 30 minutes longer.

The villain's name is somewhat unfortunate because every time I heard 'Steppenwolf', I started humming the opening of 'Born to Be Wild', something which completely took me out of the film! I enjoyed Justice League more than Batman v Superman, with a lot of the fun coming from the bickering between some of the characters. It's a film I definitely want to watch again, which is fortunate because I bought the 4K Ultra HD release as a 'blind buy' but it's not one which will cause Kevin Feige and other executives at Marvel Studios sleepless nights.

Old 20th June 2020, 05:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Curse Of La Llorona

A rather tired blend of Case 39 and any James Wan film. ANY.
AVOID.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th June 2020, 05:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Killer Crocodile (Fabrizio de Angelis, 1990)

An absolutely entertaining piece of fun. As is the sequel. So much so, I'm going to watch them both again tonight.
As Jaws knock offs go, it's a keeper ... if only for the romantic serenading near the start
RECOMMENDED.

[B]
Old 20th June 2020, 05:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default SEVERED ARM (1973)

Well severed arm, starts with,well a severed arm,looped off and thrown to the floor in some dingy morgue.Still the arm then travels via the American postal service to Geoff, who not surprisingly was not expecting a severed arm from Amazon anytime soon.We soon find out via good old flashback that a group of men,went pot holing into some abandoned mine,only to get trapped by a land slide after only about ten minutes in the mine... Two weeks later,are intrepid heroes have all grown trendy hipster beards,and have already decided cannibalism is there only way to survive this ordeal .But who is the one to donate a limb for our guys to snack on,well Ted gets the short straw and donates his arm to the picnic...But as luck would have it, well not for Ted, they get rescued just as they manage to lob off his limb with a pen knife...Mean while a one armed figure wielding an axe is creeping about in the dark, looking to get revenge...and start severing a few limbs...Low budget goodness that only comes from 1970s American drive in trash... Actually this is really watchable piece of nonsense that looks like and feels like a TV movie from the halcyon days of one's off TV specials..It also has a really quirky electronic score by Phillan Bishop that adds to the atmosphere...If your a fan of oddball slashers and 1970s facial hair this is for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3216476d91eb13b7bebad3c68eb46eca.jpg (94.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 20th June 2020, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Killer Klowns From Outer Space & Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

Killer Clowns come from outer space and cause mayhem in a small town. Very cheesy B-Movie with dodgy acting but it's fun, nothing to take seriously, sometimes that's what you just want.

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

David Bowie is sent to a Japanese P.O.W Camp where Tom Conti has struck up a sort of friendship with some of the guards including Takeshi Katano. A well acted film where Conti is more of the lead role but Bowie does have a decent amount of screen time. Well worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kkfos.jpg (15.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mcml.jpg (14.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st June 2020, 10:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

apache.jpg
APACHE DRUMS (1951)

A small town is besieged by Mescalero Apache and the town retreats to the church in the hopes the Calvary will arrive in the morning..

Val Lewton's last production. You can see Val's RKO style in certain moments.
The tall sinister canyon walls and music, the drum beats outside the church, jump scare moments as Apache pop up and jump through the high windows.
Good film which quite happily sits along side with Val's horror movies.

Like this? Share it using the links below!