Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Harry and Lloyd are two best friends , they set out to return a woman's briefcase whom Lloyd has fallen in love with, little do they know that it was a ransom drop and they are in danger , but fortunately for them and unfortunately for the bad guys they are both as dumb as a rock. A hilariously piece a bad taste comedy. 8/10

This time our two dim witted heroes set out to find Harry's daughter when they find out Harry needs a new kidney. A few funny scenes but not a patch on the first . 6.5/10

I wasn't expecting much from this, thought it would be another pointless remake but found it highly enjoyable with it doing something different and not making Chucky the vessel for a serial killer , here Chucky is a malfunction robotic toy that can learn and also control any electronic device via Wi-Fi .

Some imaginative kills . Might of just been me but I kinda felt sorry for Chucky. 8.5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 21st June 2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 21st June 2020, 10:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

From Russia With Love. 1963.

James Bond travels to Istanbul to retrieve a piece of equipment Lektor from a Russian Consulate, unaware it's a trap set up by a organisation S.P.E.C.T.R.E and help Tatiana Romanov who is recruited by ex-KGB member who now has formed a small group called SMERSH with a killer called Grant who is on Bond's trail.

Sir Sean Connery is Bond in his second outing as the British spy teamed up with British Intelligence Chief Ali Kerim Bey played by Pedro Armendariz who believes it is a trap and still goes along with the plan to get the Lektor back to England. Robert Shaw plays the ruthless Donald Grant, even though he has little talking in it his menacing look makes him scary enough not to talk. Daniela Bianchi plays the beautiful Russian Romanov who can get the Lektor and defect to England and Lotte Lenya plays the Russian agent Klebb who works within S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

This one i have seen a lot of times and never seems to age...except Connery's hair line seems a bit thin on top, thank the guy who created the Toupee. This one seems to have more action and adventure which helps build up the character that Connery portrays and some nice location shoots even though some of the background looks like a green screen was used but you go with what the budget is and more funny oneliners are in this and a nice belly dancer.

MV5BMTQ1MzIxMjcwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzYyNTg4._V1_.jpg

Tatiana: Horrible, horrible woman.
James Bond: Yes, she had her kicks.
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Goldfinger. 1964.

James Bond investigates a gold magnate who plans to contaminate the gold reserve in Fort Knox.

This one seems to take a serious turn on the franchise using radiation on a known building in Fort Knox to make someone else's gold value rise, Gert Frobe (The greedy baron in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) plays another greedy man who wants everything he sees especially gold as the main villain Auric Goldfinger , who has the henchman Oddjob with a bowler hat.

Honor Blackman plays one of the female leads who is a pilot in Goldfinger's flight squadron who will use the planes in the attack at Fort Knox, you can't forget Shirley Eaton's character Jill's death with her body covered in paint and her sister's revenge who is a lousy shot.

This one introduces to the amazing Aston Martin that im sure we all want a ejecter seat in our for the annoying passenger and Desmond Llewelyn who starts making more appearances as Q and Bernard Lee as M, with Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny. There is more action in this and adventure with some drama mixed it and a nice good game of golf blended in, Shirley Bassey amazing voice sung the main song.

MV5BMTQ2MzE0OTU3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQxNTgzNA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

Q: Now this one I'm particularly keen about. You see the gear lever here? Now, if you take the top off, you will find a little red button. Whatever you do, don't touch it.
James Bond: Yeah, why not?
Q: Because you'll release this section of the roof, and engage and then fire the passenger ejector seat. Whish!
James Bond: Ejector seat? You're joking!
Q: I never joke about my work, 007.
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

blood_and_roses.jpg
BLOOD AND ROSES (1960)

Roger Vadim's version of 'Camilla' is a haunting picture. Some very nice gothic framing, vampire legends and a heart breaking music score as Carmilla is seemingly taken over by the spirit of Millarca Karnstein, who's crypt is unearthed after an explosion in an old castle.

Old 22nd June 2020, 05:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Æon Flux (2005)

Aeon Flux quite simply is a mess.

It's okay watching Charlize Theron in her many acrobatic action sequences, especially the sniper led finale which is quite exciting but the fact the film has no real story line to invest in as well as inane dialogue and zero character development means the movie is instantly forgettable and a bit of a chore to sit through.

Best scene - Charlize catches a fly... with her eye lid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aeon_flux_poster.jpg (27.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd June 2020, 06:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thunderball. 1965.

James Bond is on the trail to the Bahamas to find two nuclear missiles stolen by S.P.E.C.T.R.E. to which the trail leads him to a man called Largo.

The fourth and probably best shot Bond adventure which was remade as Never Say Never Again, this one beats that one by a long shot and the start of the franchise with nuclear weapons hold the world hostage and hope everyone pays or it's adios mustachios.

Adolfo Celi plays Largo (S.P.E.C.T.R.E. member number 2 brilliantly, even though his left eye is covered he has the menacing look and no guilty conscience at what he does or what he will do. Claudine Auger plays the sultry Domino who seems to captivate's Bond eyes and Rik Van Nutter plays C.I.A. Operative Felix Leiter.

This was was perfectly shot with some nice underwater scenes and a nice fight that may have been a challenge to do at that time and seemed to be on a larger budget as well as Bond getting a jet pack at the start , even though i was never keen on this i have warmed up to it a lot over the years.

Thunderball_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg

[Placing Fiona's body in a chair after she is shot on the dance floor]
James Bond: Do you mind if my friend sits this one out? She's just dead.
Old 22nd June 2020, 06:54 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Æon Flux (2005)

Aeon Flux quite simply is a mess.

It's okay watching Charlize Theron in her many acrobatic action sequences, especially the sniper led finale which is quite exciting but the fact the film has no real story line to invest in as well as inane dialogue and zero character development means the movie is instantly forgettable and a bit of a chore to sit through.

Best scene - Charlize catches a fly... with her eye lid.
Any film where the bad guy is called Trevor faces a struggle to be taken seriously.
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Harry and Lloyd are two best friends , they set out to return a woman's briefcase whom Lloyd has fallen in love with, little do they know that it was a ransom drop and they are in danger , but fortunately for them and unfortunately for the bad guys they are both as dumb as a rock. A hilariously piece a bad taste comedy. 8/10

This time our two dim witted heroes set out to find Harry's daughter when they find out Harry needs a new kidney. A few funny scenes but not a patch on the first . 6.5/10

I wasn't expecting much from this, thought it would be another pointless remake but found it highly enjoyable with it doing something different and not making Chucky the vessel for a serial killer , here Chucky is a malfunction robotic toy that can learn and also control any electronic device via Wi-Fi .

Some imaginative kills . Might of just been me but I kinda felt sorry for Chucky. 8.5/10
Didn't fancy Dumb And Dumberer then lol

Completely agree with you regarding Child's Play, it was a thoroughly enjoyable movie and the better of the toy related films that I saw at the Cinema on that day.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Dragons Forever, Pieces & Blinded By The Light

Dragons Forever

Jackie Chan film in which he's a Lawyer who helps a Fishery owner fight a Chemical company regarding polluting the water. Sammo Hung & Yuen Biao co-star. Good action scenes but I'm sure there was either a bet or an inside joke on how many times they could insert the theme song in the film. It kinda took me out of it after a while.

Pieces

Really fun gory Spanish flick in which a serial killer is killing off female College Students and amputating various body parts in order to create a new body. Some really nice chainsaw killings if you are into that sort of thing however the final scene in the film was completely ridiculous.

Blinded By The Light

British Drama in which a Muslim teen in the 80's discovers the music of Bruce Springsteen which helps him navigate teenage life in Luton. The film covers racism and family issues whilst having a thumping soundtrack of some great 80's songs and off course the music of Bruce (The Born To Run sequence is a scene I can watch over and over again) This film is well worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg df.jpg (19.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg p.jpg (14.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bbtl.jpg (13.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

You Only Live Twice. 1967.

James Bond travels to Japan to find and stop a culprit who is stealing space ships and prevent war breaking out.

This one for me has always been entertaining and exciting as it takes the plot away from sunny beaches and blue ocean to Japan and Bond teaming up with the Japanese Secret Service headed by Tiger played by Tetsuro Tamba) and Charles Gey in a small role who would later star in Diamonds are Forever.

As well as having Sir Sean Connery in what was to be his last appearance as Bond, Donald Pleasence does steal the show as the villain Ernst Stavro Blofeld, his presence is amazing as he seems to not alter his voice but can be seen menacing with his eye stair as he holds a gun at Bond. The set is amazing as the bad guy lair is built in a volcano thanks to production designer Ken Adam and photographed by Freddie Young who captures it perfectly as well as a good Ariel shot of Bond in his Little Nellie. it does always amaze how Roald Dahl was brought in to do the screen play and managed to captivate a perfect story.

You_Only_Live_Twice_Poster.jpg

Helga Brandt: [Bond is captured by Helga Brandt] I've got you now.
James Bond: Well, enjoy yourself.
[Brandt slaps him]

Like this? Share it using the links below!