Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2020, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Great film , terrible King adaptation, apart from the characters and the hotel there are many differences from the film and book, in the book there are no twins, the book is a lot more supernatural focused , while in the book Jack is sane and is slowly turned insane, while in the film he's already unhinged, there is no maze in the book, and Jack is blown up in the boiler room and doesn't freeze to death and probably the biggest difference is Wendy whom in the film is a sniffling selfish cow, while in the book she is a much stronger and more likable character . It's still a great movie but not hard to see why King would not be happy. 10/10

Michael Douglas is a man who slowly starts to lose it while trying to make it home too see his daughter , after seeing the selfishness and indifference of those around him he slowly becomes more and more angry . You really shouldn't but you really see where he's coming from and most of us have felt the way he does but haven't taking matters into there own hands the way he does. 8/10

Next up Hellraiser bloodlines.
Great film falling down, went cinema to watch it, can relate to a lot of stuff eg McDonalds stop serving breakfast at exactly 10:30. Nowt worse than jobsworthy people.
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 28th June 2020, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Great film falling down, went cinema to watch it, can relate to a lot of stuff eg McDonalds stop serving breakfast at exactly 10:30. Nowt worse than jobsworthy people.
It's the bit I always remember , especially the scene about burger looking nothing like it's picture.
Old 28th June 2020, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quantum of Solace. 2008.

James Bond embarks on a mystery as he tries to stop a organisation from eliminating a country's valuable resource.

From the Pre-Credits opening scene which lasted 4 and half minutes (shortest one to date...i think) all i can say is i'm glad i don't suffer motion sickness (only watched this once) i forgot how it started. To me this was a mess it seemed all over the place. M played by Judi Dench has had more screen time than any other actor playing the part. Gemma Arterton seems way out of place as embassy clerk Fields who IMO was probably added to be another girl for Bond to bed with and meets the same fate as a previous girl instead she was plastered in oil. Olga Kurylenko plays Camille who seems determined to get revenge for her family and helps Bond to try find answers he wants and in return he helps her.

Mathieu Amalric plays Dominic Greene who has everyone in his pocket really doesn't fit the persona of a bad guy i don't know if it's me or he seems to wimpish. Giancarlo Gianni returns as Mathis who seems to have a tender moment with Bond which was a nice touch will admit. Jefferey Wright also make a appearance as Leiter but felt the role was wasted for the actor and first appearance for Tanner played by Rory Kinnear who is a bit more serious than Michael Kitchen was in the Brosnan era. Again my apologies if you like it and i'm bashing it, personally i think this was the weakest Bond movie out of the franchise.

MV5BMTY5Njg4MTUzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM1MDk5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Mathis: You can't sleep?
Bartender on Virgin Flight: May I fix you a drink, Sir?
Mathis: What are you drinking?
James Bond: I don't know. What am I drinking?
Bartender on Virgin Flight: Three measures of Gordon's Gin, One of Vodka, Half a measure of Kina...
Mathis: Kina Lillet.
Bartender on Virgin Flight: Kina Lillet, which is not Vermouth. Shaken well until it is ice cold and served with a large, thin slice of lemon peel. Six of them.
Mathis: That's impressive.
James Bond: They're good. You should have one.
Old 28th June 2020, 11:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Skyfall. 2012.

After a hard drive is stolen and Bond missing presumed dead, MI6 come under a cyber attack and attacking M mentally, Bond resurfaces and goes after those responsible and M thinking her past has come back to haunt her and with the new chairman of Intelligence and Security Mallory, M's position in MI6 is now challenged.

After the previous film installment that kind of went south Sam Mendes manages to recover the franchise and brings us this action adventure back to the way it should be...more entertaining.

The plot to this is simple and straightforward and never gets dull or boring, Ben Whishaw brings us his way of being the new Quartermaster (Q) who he thinks his days may be outnumbered in espionage while drinking a Earl Grey tea pressumbly . Naomi Harris plays a agent who was taken out of the field for shooting 007 and now secretary called Eve Moneypenny. Ralph Fiennes plays Gareth Mallory who thinks M isn't up to her job and follows protocol but we know who he ends up being called. Daniel Craig is back on form with Dench as they seem to come to quick sarcastic comments and laughs. Javier Bardem's role as Silva was brilliant played out a ex British agent who wants so have his revenge on MI6 and goes after the one he believes betrayed him.

This was a great entry to celebrate the 50 years of James Bond, it doesn't have the amazing car chases but does have plenty gun fire and explosions with the help of the Aston Martin DB5 and a nice "Welcome to Scotland" greeting by Albert Finney. do think at times the climatic fight scene did go on for a bit long but what a way to go for Judi Dench who kept fighting and did say a good sarcastic comment to which she got one back.

MV5BZjA4ODk2NTUtODE3OS00ZDIwLTlmYjEtZTk5ZGU0MWI0OGQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc3MjUzNTI@._V1_.jpg

[Bond stares at the porcelain bulldog statue on M's desk]
James Bond: The whole office goes up in smoke and that bloody thing survives.
M: Your interior decorating tips have always been appreciated, 007.
Old 29th June 2020, 11:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Next up Hellraiser bloodlines.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm one of the very few that actually likes Hellraiser Bloodline! I just like the lore and history of the Le Marchand puzzle box, I think it's a worthy watch even if it has a weak ass ending it still towers above anything after it in the series.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:01 PM
Cult Addict

I wasn't too enamored with Bloodlines at the time but i rewatched it last year and enjoyed it a lot more, like you say it's preferable to the later films.
Boo Radley and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Next up Hellraiser bloodlines.

I think I'm one of the very few that actually likes Hellraiser Bloodline! I just like the lore and history of the Le Marchand puzzle box, I think it's a worthy watch even if it has a weak ass ending it still towers above anything after it in the series.[/QUOTE]

I actually liked it better than 3 and a lot better than most the followed.
Boo Radley and MrBarlow like this.
Old 29th June 2020, 02:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Frankenstein Created Bikers.

You know those, "So bad, it's good" movies? Yeah, this is right up there! Terrible in most aspects but just has something about it. The acting is dire, forget hammy, this is the whole pig wrapped up in bacon and ten minutes in I realized that this is a sequel to a movie called Dear God, NO! But I went with it. Gratuitous nudity is sprinkled in every few frames which is no bad thing if your movie is shite to begin with, copious over the top gore and the dialogue, whilst spouted by the worst actors ever, is hilarious and at times had me and a mate nearly crying! Some of the concepts will drop your jaw, like a woman pushing her aborted foetus back inside her......yeah, that's where we are in this!! I'm not sure if it's a contender to Worst Film Ever or verging on sheer brilliance! (Former...cough!) You will remember it though!
It was only after watching it I realized Dear God, NO! is also on the BD so I need to watch that one next.....Dear God, Help Me!!

Beyond the Door

This Exorcist rip-off was so much better than I hoped. It poses no threat to the king of possession movies but is enjoyable if you are in the right frame of mind and you have to give kudos to those Italians for putting out this piece of blatant plagiarism. The dialogue here is not as bad as the afore mentioned movie but has it's moments....
Little girl; "What was that crazy nickname you gave him last year?"
(Talking about their dad.)
Little boy; "Asshole!"
Little girl; "That's it!"
I really hoped both would die.
It's fun, "crazy" and worth your time.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spectre. 2015.

After receiving a cryptic message from M after her death, Bond goes in search for answers which leads him to someone from his past and a sinister organisation he has been pursuing as well as Mr white who may hold the key to the location he has to go to.

Although this was to be Daniel Craig's last outing as Bond he bever fails at impressing the audience with his unique way to the character he portrayed over almost 10 years. Seeking the organisation and finding it was S.P.E.C.T.R.E. and someone from his past is running the whole show was a nice little twist to the plot. Christoph Waltz plays Franz Oberhauser who later identifies himself as Ernst Stavro Blofeld, the mastermind who created the organisation. Lea Seydoux plays Dr madeline Swann who is related to Mr White and has to try and trust her for answers.

Ralph Fiennes returns as M who has ordered Bond to be grounded for a muck up in Mexico City and oreders Q (Ben Whishaw) to have Bond tracked and keep the 00 agent project active as a new security government project are wanting to take over headed by Max Denbigh who Bond calls C.

At times this felt it seems to go off track and back on again with longer fight scenes even between Craig and Dave Bautista (yes the wrestler) who is like Jaws without the metal teeth, big, tough and says one word of dialogue. The car and plane chase was done well and a boat speed boat chasing a helicopter. At least M knew what C meant for but we were problably thinking of another word to call him. There is some funny comments and jokes that Q found funny with Tanner and Miss Moneypenny knew how to tell a lie. Even some of the reviews online were a bit dissmal about this but i enjoyed it.

MV5BOWQ1MDE1NzgtNTQ4OC00ZjliLTllZDAtN2IyOTVmMTc5YjUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg

[Bond notices the shell of the DB5]
Q : Oh, yes. That old thing is taking quite a bit of time. Mind you, there wasn't much left to work, only a steering wheel. I believe I said, "Bring it back in one piece," not, "Bring back one piece."
[Q laughs at his own joke]
Old 29th June 2020, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Black Moon Rising & The Invisible Man

Black Moon Rising

Starring Tommy Lee Jones, Linda Hamilton and Robert Vaughn, this 1986 film about a thief named Quint who is hired by the Justice Department to steal incriminating tapes from a corrupt corporation. The tapes vanish when Quint hides them in the back of a hydrodynamic powered racing car that is stolen by a hot car ring.

I remember the trailer back in the day but none of my Video Shops ever had it in however the DVD always seemed to be around so I finally purchased it, it's not bad but I have a feeling it was better around 86-87, in 2020 it's a bit meh.

The VHS Rental cover is so 80's

The Invisible Man

Elizabeth Moss is the abused wife who escapes and stays with her Detective friend (Aldis Hodge) and his daughter. However after her husband apparently committed Suicide, she is then stalked by what appears to be an Invisible Man in order to drive her crazy.

As this has just been released on DVD/Blu Ray, I'll not divulge anything more. However this is a brilliant film and I feel intelligently done, however I was surprised to see that it's now an 18 with what appears to be an additional 3 seconds.

Oh yeah, I blooming hate the new 15 and 18 certificate logos especially the 15 as it makes it look like it's a 18 film
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmr.jpg (15.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg tim.jpg (9.0 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!