Cult Addict

Viewings over the past month and a bit
Screenshot_20200706_221051_com.letterboxd.letterboxd.jpg

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 6th July 2020, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Little Shop Of Horrors, What We Did On Our Holiday & Licence To Kill

Little Shop Of Horrors

A entertaining film with Steve Martin stealing the show as the sadistic Dentist even though Bill Murray certainly runs him close as the pain loving patient.

I'm pretty sure that I heard that there was a possible remake in the works, if that was true, I do wonder if they will remove the domestic violence aspect.

What We Did On Our Holiday

David Tennant and Rosamund Pike take their kids on a family vacation to Scotland for Billy Connelly's Birthday, when they arrive they meet up with Ben Miller's family and the kids keep on exacerbating the adults by blurting out family secrets and picking apart any answers to any questions they ask and they do this with youthful innocence.

This is one of my favorite Comedy movies ever, it is so funny, great acting from everybody especially the faces the adults pull when the children land them in it are sublime and the scene where the children explain to Tennant, Pike and Miller what happened on the beach is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Saw this film at the cinema one day and Gone Girl the next and it was certainly weird seeing Rosamund Pike in 2 different type of roles/

Can't recommend this highly enough.

Licence To Kill

Timothy Dalton is back as James Bond who goes rogue to avenge the attack on his friend. It had a good start but I felt it lost it's way near the end.

One thing I didn't get is that Bond seemed ok that he was shot at by is then former employers, I thought that it might have been brought up later on.

Also Timothy Dalton doesn't strike me as an Action hero, for me he's more brains than brawn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lsoh.jpg (15.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg wwdooh.jpg (13.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ltk.jpg (13.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 7th July 2020, 11:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

It_Came_From_Beneath_The_Sea_poster.jpg
IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955)

Ray Harryhausen joins forces with producer Charles Schneer and together they cause mayhem with a giant Octopus, destroying The Golden Gate Bridge in the finale.

twitch_of_death_nerve_poster_04.jpg
BAY OF BLOOD (1971)

Had not watched this movie in absolutely ages.
Good to see this one again and the deaths still look good.
The movie where everyone kills everyone ha ha!
Old 7th July 2020, 03:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oldboy (2003) ★★★★★

Oldboy is one of those films that blew me away the first time I saw it, a film that got its hooks in the early and didn't let go. The brilliant story, audacious visuals, brilliant performances, and the ending which left me wanting to watch it again, immediately afterwards has made it a firm favourite of mine and a film I've bought several times since I first bought a DVD back in 2004.

There was a time, probably 2006, when I watched it with the three commentary tracks and that's something I want to do again because of how much time has elapsed and how much information I've probably forgotten.

Choi Min-sik gives a performance for the ages as Oh Dae-su, a businessman who is kidnapped from outside a phone box and kept prisoner for 15 years before being released without any explanation about why he is incarcerated or who is behind his imprisonment.

Bizarrely released from inside a suitcase on a rooftop, he befriends a young woman who works in a sushi restaurant, a location where he goes to eat something alive, chewing his way through most of a live squid before passing out, awaking in the sushi chef's apartment, then embarking on a mission to discover who kept it locked up for 15 years, killing his wife and framing him for the murder, and the reason for such an elaborate and curious punishment.

I suppose I was fortunate that this was the second film by Park Chan-wook I saw and bought it because I'd seen Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, a film I recorded when it was televised late one night on Channel 4 and stunned me with its audacious plotting and extreme violence. I don't think it's essential to watch his 'vengeance Trilogy" In chronological order, but it can't hurt either!

Even though no viewing of this film will be like the first – it's the same with anything which has a major reveal in the third act – there's not just one thing about this which makes it such a great film and one I have seen countless times and have recently bought for the fifth time. It's a combination of the intense performances, compelling story, and visual flair which makes it such a masterpiece and a film I'll probably never tire of watching.
Old 7th July 2020, 03:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

2b5f3a1ba1f0ec552eeca674ea2231d1--vintage-movie-posters-film-posters.jpg herculesunchained.jpg
HERCULES (1958) HERCULES UNCHAINED (1959)

Excellent casting of Steve Reeves in his two Hercules movies.
HERCULES sees the hero meet with Princess Iole (Sylva Koscina), and before long he joins Jason on the ship Argo to find the Golden Fleece.
HERCULES UNCHAINED takes place a few months after the first movie.
Hercules, Princess Iole and Ulysses leave the Argo and travel to Thebes.
While trying to sort out a quarrel between two brothers as the ruler of Thebes, Hercules looses his memory and falls in to the clutches of Queen Omphale..
Enjoyable, colourful and action packed sword and Sandal movies.

Old 7th July 2020, 03:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Usual question, Dave. Are those available on dvd?

You could have fifty Steve Reeves types dressed in thongs and i'd only notice Sylva Koscina.
Old 7th July 2020, 06:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

There are various DVDs of both titles. Unfortunately they are along the public domain Alpha video type releases and so picture quality and ratio are lacking.
There are some nice widescreen versions on youtube but no idea where they are taken from.

Yeah.. Sylva Koscina. "sigh"
Old 7th July 2020, 06:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Mermaid: Lake of the Dead (2018) ★★★

Quote:
An evil Mermaid falls in love with Marina's fiancé Roman and aims to keep him away from Marina in her Kingdom of Death under water. The Mermaid is a young woman who drowned a few centuries ago. Marina only has one week to overcome her fear of the dark water, to remain human in the deathly fight with the monsters and not to become one herself.
This reminded me a lot of Ring, but that's not necessarily a negative. The titular Mermaid is more of a revenge spirit, a being which is not confined to water so there are some scenes with a decent amount of suspense and some reasonably effective jump scares.

There is quite a lot of the film which feels generic and there are some familiar tropes. As I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, the visual effects and underwater photography was surprisingly convincing.

All in all, it's a very passable genre film. The DVD cost £3.49 from HMV – average isn't always a pejorative!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Mermaid.jpg (95.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 7th July 2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 7th July 2020, 08:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
There are various DVDs of both titles. Unfortunately they are along the public domain Alpha video type releases and so picture quality and ratio are lacking.
There are some nice widescreen versions on youtube but no idea where they are taken from.

Yeah.. Sylva Koscina. "sigh"
Did you watch them on Youtube?
Old 7th July 2020, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Forever Lulu (2006)

Patrick Swayze and Melanie Griffith star in this drama about two former lovers who end up on a road trip together searching for their son who Lulu (Griffith) gave up sixteen years ago, and Swayze never even knew he had a son.

One of those movies that turned out totally different to what i was expecting. I was thinking this would be along the lines of other Melanie Griffith road movies Crazy in Alabama (1999) and Another Day in Paradise (1998), you know, drugs, violence, sex, more violence, that sort of thing, however Forever Lulu is a totally different beast showing a vulnerable woman dealing with mental illness and regret over losing her son all those years ago during the course of a road trip.

Whilst parts of the film don't work as well as they could i found the last reels to be beautifully poignant, heartfelt and finally uplifting. Both Griffith and Swayze are good as is Penelope Ann Miller in the thankless role of Swayze's left behind current wife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forever_Lulu-610877547-large.jpg (66.6 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!