Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2020, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'll Take Your Dead (2018)

I'm not going to go into plot details because any would be spoilers but will simply say I'll Take Your Dead is a movie that became more intense and electrifying as time went on with a final half hour that was incredibly gripping.

I'll Take Your Dead is a superbly acted film from start to finish, particularly by Ava Preston as young Gloria, and i was totally drawn in by the believable characters and superb script.

The story is straightforward yet highly original and continuously gains momentum as it traverses a dark road that leads the viewer into at first a personal human drama played out in true Noir style before culminating in what can only be described as full on horror.

A standout from the vast majority of turgid so called fright flicks hitting our screens, Blumhouse this is not.

The best modern horror film i've seen in a long time. Highly recommended.
Old 26th July 2020, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Gloria Bell (2018)

It almost feels wrong to watch two excellent 'new to me' movies back to back.

Gloria Bell centers round a superb performance from Julianne Moore as a divorcee spending her days in her mundane office job and her nights on the dance floor of an L.A. disco where she meets John Turturro (If anyone was made for this role it's Turturro) and begins an unexpected romance.

It's not a movie with high drama, instead focusing on realistic characters and the complications of a new relationship on fifty something adults, looking at the joys of life and also the humiliations and failures.

Moore is fantastic, everything we see is through Gloria's eyes as we witness her joy and her heartbreak and everything in between as she experiences the trials and tribulations of normal life whilst attempting to find meaning and companionship. Plus it was so good to see a middle aged woman / man as an actual person rather than simply a maternal or side character.

Gloria Bell is a charming and mature film. I loved it.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 26th July 2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 26th July 2020, 05:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I'm not going to go into plot details because any would be spoilers but will simply say I'll Take Your Dead is a movie that became more intense and electrifying as time went on with a final half hour that was incredibly gripping.

I'll Take Your Dead is a superbly acted film from start to finish, particularly by Ava Preston as young Gloria, and i was totally drawn in by the believable characters and superb script.

The story is straightforward yet highly original and continuously gains momentum as it traverses a dark road that leads the viewer into at first a personal human drama played out in true Noir style before culminating in what can only be described as full on horror.

A standout from the vast majority of turgid so called fright flicks hitting our screens, Blumhouse this is not.

I posted this review on Letterboxd too and the father of actress Ava Preston commented on the post saying she was thrilled to read my review and thanking me for my support.

Lovely to receive feedback like that.

Terrific young actor and a terrific film.
Old 26th July 2020, 06:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

THE BOURNE IDENTITY (2002)

Cracking action/spy thriller with some really really good action sequences and a good espionage plot. Really showcased Matt Damon as a legitimate action star. Doug Liman's direction is really good too.

THE BOURNE SUPREMACY (2004)

Tries to improve on the first by failing. The plot is almost non existent and the film tries to make up for this with incomprehensible action scenes where it's virtually impossible to actually see what the chuff is going on. Paul Greengrass needs to invest in either a steadi-cam or some sort of stablizer. Totally meh all round.

SALT (2010)

Angelina Jolie's gaunt features do a passable impression of Jennifer Garner in Alias minus all the crying. To be fair, Salt is a decent enough action thriller with some pretty good action scenes and an interesting plot, even if the films feels like it's missing about 45 minutes. Sadly left on a cliffhanger that doesn't seem likely to ever be resolved.

MAN ON THE LEDGE (2012)

Generic at best heist thriller with an insanely good cast putting in about as much effort as Bruce Willis has in the last 10 years. The only stand out is Ed Harris who appears to understand the absurdity of the film and amps up his role to panto villain status. A bit crap.

FOUR BROTHERS (2005)

Pretty good urban/modern update of The Sons of Katie Elder see's a mishmash of adopted brothers out to solve the murder of their adoptive mother during a detroit winter. Good action and direction from the late John Singleton. Has a great 70s vibe to it too. Good film.

MINORITY REPORT (2002)

Spielberg and Phillip K Dick should work and it does for the most part but the film feels way too artificial for a Spielberg movie. The washed out, grungy look of the film does at times make it relatively difficult to see whats going on. Cruise is on fine form as is Max Von Sydow, Colin Farrell may aswell not have been in the movie. Decent sci-fi but I'd expect better from Spielberg.

MALLRATS (1995)

Possibly my favourite Kevin Smith film. Hadn't seen it maybe 10 years and all the lines and quotes came flooding back to me and made me laugh out load. Not going to say much more but its awesome.

THE OLD GUARD (2020)

It's basically Highlander. It's ok, nothing special but worth a look...I guess.
Old 26th July 2020, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Noted D!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th July 2020, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Running Scared (1980)

Ken Wahl and Judge Reinhold fall foul of nasty types Bradford Dilman and John Saxon whilst travelling home from a tour of duty.
An oddity. JR plays a shit kicker with a penchant for "borrowing" army equipment for a start. Don't remember this one from the vhs days.
To be honest, the thing that shocked me most was Pat Hingle's hair.

Codename: Wild Geese (1984)

Here endeth my trawl through Collins' film career. Yet again there is a void where a lead performance should be. Violent enough shenanigans certainly, but it did not have the sheer chutzpah of Commando Leopard etc. Ho hum.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 27th July 2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 26th July 2020, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House IV (1992)

I don't normally put films off but I sorta snapped with this one. Something about a pizza with a face tipped the balance ..... next, which sadly turned out to be ......

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo (Sam Firstenberg)

Even for a Cannon flick, this was pretty dire. Her from Ninja III: The Domination pops up in this updated version of The Duke Wore Jeans for da hip hop kids. Man, it's wack though . I hate musicals. I laugh at the weird ones certainly, but overexposure to Julie Andrews as a child has left me scarred.
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT!!!!!!

[B]
Old 26th July 2020, 09:39 PM
Cult Veteran

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

One of those films where I was dubious about the hype, and I think you either 'get it' or you don't, as soon as the opening scene (see below) was finished I knew I got it. It has laugh out loud hilarity and incredible, emotional pathos in spades without feeling tonally all over the place. So close to being a 5 star movie but unfortunately Rebel Wilson made me knock half a star off because she was pretty annoying.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th July 2020, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Jojo Rabbit (2019)

One of those films where I was dubious about the hype, and I think you either 'get it' or you don't, as soon as the opening scene (see below) was finished I knew I got it. It has laugh out loud hilarity and incredible, emotional pathos in spades without feeling tonally all over the place. So close to being a 5 star movie but unfortunately Rebel Wilson made me knock half a star off because she was pretty annoying.

Isn't she always?
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th July 2020, 10:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Isn't she always?
I think she's great as 'Fat Amy' in the Pitch Perfect films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!