Old 28th July 2020, 06:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

All three are great.
He's getting on a bit now though.

A fourth outing would be titled... TAKEN:THE PISS

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th July 2020, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Annabelle Comes Home. 2019.

When the Warrens bring home the Annabelle Doll and lock her in the case, they think the evil is contained and leave for another case, their daughter Judy is looked after by a babysitter who's friend comes over and opens the case unleashing the evil.

After just watching this with Angela all she kept saying was "have we seen this before"? It feels like another horror movie that has been remade but with more modern suspense that's slowly built up. Vera Farminga and Patrick Wilson are only in it at the start and the end, and seems to be a babysitter's nightmare except the kids don't play up but other stuff in the house does. There is one or two little jump scares nicely added, but it does seem to be the weakest entry into The Conjuring Universe along with The Curse of La Llorona.

MV5BYTBjNjMxZmMtOWQ2MS00ZTM0LTk4YTQtYTMxYWY1M2ExMTY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQW1hZGV0aXNj._V1_SY351_SX624_AL_.jpg
Old 28th July 2020, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Taken 2 (2012)

As i've reviewed this decent follow up film to the classic 2008 action spectacular on these pages before, i thought i'd leave you with a fascinating snippet of info.

Maggie Grace who plays Neeson's daughter Kim, you know 18 year old virginal Kim who needs chaperoning with her new boyfriend and is currently taking her driving lessons, that Kim... well Maggie Grace was 28 years old when she filmed this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 555dafde0423bd4e7a8b4567.jpg (95.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 28th July 2020, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Innocent Blood. 1992.

Marie who is a vampire lives by a set of rules about feeding, when she feeds off a mob boss and fails to kill him he rises and starts creating a family of mob vampire clan, Marie teams up with a detective who wants to take down the mob boss once and for all.

From John Landis this was a quirky enjoyable and funny take on the vampire genre that doesn't take itself seriously as vampires seem to cast a reflection in mirrors and a bullet to the head kills them. With Landis and his horrors expect plenty of blood gore and splatter with Steve Johnson at the helm providing all the special effects and some good minor cameo roles from stars and directors. Every character must be a Dracula fan as in different households there is a Dracula movie on.

c7RcoSiKAm4K0MNbtgqeQZjp0Pe.jpg
Old 29th July 2020, 10:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

lf.jpg
BANANAS (1971)

After meeting political activist Nancy, Woody gets involved in a revolution in San Marcos and becomes the president of the country.
Good fun. The scene where Woody want's to buy a girlie mag in a shop with women around is great.

night-of-the-demon.jpg
NIGHT OF THE DEMON (1957)

Still remember the first time I ever saw this movie. It was on the BBC2 horror double bill in 1980. What a great night. I had never seen any of the movies before.
Still love the scene where Dana Andrews is in the hotel and there is a presence around the corridors. Really creepy. Excellent!

885cd786b5835a5a5246eed6949e89a3.jpg
Old 29th July 2020, 11:29 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mansion of the Living Dead (1982)

A simply plotted classic from the Jess Franco stable in which four hot girls go on holiday to a posh hotel on the Canary Islands and discover the nearby monastery has a deadly secret.

Although never acknowledged as such this appears to be a rehash of Amando de Ossorio's Blind Dead series. The skeletal monks look almost identical to the ones in Tombs of the Blind Dead although one or two also appear to have had their faces coated in porridge rather than being skeletons (Although not credited it seemed to me that Franco himself dubbed the lead monks voice).

The first half of the film is horror lite as we get to know the four girls including the magnificent Candy Costa (Lina Romay) and Mabel Escaño who have a lot of 'fun' together both in their rooms and on the beach - there is a brilliant sequence on the beach where a meat cleaver is thrown from a hotel balcony into the midst of the sun bathing girls and provokes the brilliant reaction of "Who wouldn't want to murder four hotties like us?".

The second half is where the action ups a gear and we discover a woman chained up in the hotel, sex slave to the seedy manager and the zombie monks appear. Although lacking gore there is a very lengthy rape sequence as Escaño is gang raped by the undead monks, it's all pretty seedy if not overtly graphic.

The film looks great, the island is a fine location and the hotel although swish has weirdly spooky corridors, with the darkness at odds with the bright sunlight outside which in turn creates quite an eerie atmosphere.

Mansion of the Living Dead isn't perhaps top level Franco but i find there's much to enjoy here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La_mansi_n_de_los_muertos_vivientes-765927006-large.jpg (36.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th July 2020, 12:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Wish Severin would put it out on Blu Ray.
One of my favourite Franco epics.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th July 2020, 03:18 PM
Cult Rookie

Crossroads to Crime (1960)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crossroads.jpg (91.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th July 2020, 04:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Was it any good then RGB???

Barton Fink

Revisited this little charmer. A playwright is called to Hollywood when his work receives plaudits. Lumbered with a "wrestling picture", he finds he is blocked by sheer unpreparedness. Littered with decent performances, this was a joy to peruse again. Goodman excels as his "neighbour". Recommended highly!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BF.jpg (98.1 KB, 2 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th July 2020, 05:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Offspring. 2009.

A group of cannibals attack a unexpected family in their backwoods house and kidnap their infant baby, a local sheriff who is on their trail to end the madness that has plagued the area since 1858.

I haven't read the book by Jack Ketchum so i can't comment on what the changes would be/are to the film, however this was a delightful little number to watch, the premise plot is a bit like The Hills have Eyes but without the radiation and a lone young male character able to grow some testicles and fend off the bad guys. Some of the film is basically set at night so best watched it the dark so no one strains their eyes and plenty gore added in.

MV5BMjA1OTk3MTM5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTczMjIwMg@@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!