Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2020, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

RED 2 (2013)

Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Mary Louise Parker, Helen Mirren and Brian Cox return with more Retired: Extremely Dangerous antics.

This time involving a nuclear bomb constructed from red mercury and an extremely dangerous physicist played with much glee by Anthony Hopkins. Add contract killer(Lee Byung-hun) and Catherine Zeta Jones' Russian agent into the mix and you've got a crazy, humerous, fast paced, action heavy sequel that whilst perhaps not as good as the original film is still a fine couple of hours of fun
Old 6th August 2020, 04:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Awesome! One of my all time greatest movies.
Which version? 3 hour cut?
Directors cut, wasn't that keen on three hour version
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 6th August 2020, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Unknown (2011)

Euro thriller starring Liam Neeson as a... no, really the outcome to this movie is just bonkers verging on the preposterous but thankfully getting there is a fun Hitchcockian style mystery involving some cool and occasionally gripping action sequences and good uses of Berlin locations.

This is the first of four action thrillers Neeson made with Spanish director Jaume Collet-Serra and is by far the most ridiculous. Entertaining but ridiculous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 178313.jpg (55.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th August 2020, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Omen IV: The Awakening (Jorge Montasi, Dominique Othenin-Giraud)

What was this? Some Chris Morris style spoof?? From the sledgehammer subtlety of the opening to the hysterical "fairground" scene to the ending , I thoroughly enjoyed this, just not in the way the makers intended.
Resembling any 90's second tier genre film you can name, this is the story you've been aching to see, the devil has a daughter etc whoooooooooo exciting stuff. She is easily the ugliest child I've seen on screen since Phenomena. Of course now, you sit in horrified fascination wondering if she was abused during the production. Michael Lerner thankfully turns up to do some acting. One of the directors later brought us Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal.
Watching the two "Damned" films after was a masterclass in comparison.
Review to follow!!! Once I stop the laughing. HONEST.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th August 2020, 11:08 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Over the last couple of days, I've watched two versions of Miracles, the 1989 Jackie Chan-directed film put out on Blu-ray by 88 Films.

I first watched the longest cut of the film, Mr Canton and Lady Rose, with the Cantonese audio track and couldn't figure out why so much of it seemed familiar. It's a superbly directed film with great camera movement, editing, period design, and incorporating elements of melodrama, action, comedy, and romance into a story which is not just coherent, but engaging and a lot of fun.

After watching the shorter cut last night with the English dub, a way which didn't work for me at all and felt wrong, I discovered the reason why the film didn't seem fresh and new – I bought the Hong Kong Legends DVD in 2013 and watched it a couple of times that year!
Old 7th August 2020, 04:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)

Not seen this in a long time and oh boy has it dated, especially Shane Black's dialogue which is cringe worthy and childish.

The whole thing is ridiculously far fetched - Sam Jackson should have died at least four times and the final killing of the bad guy as Geena Davis picks up a gun from a blazing fire and shoots him... i don't know, it all seemed very dumb.

I do still like this, in a fun way but it's certainly lowered in my estimations following this viewing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51K5moHpP0L._AC_SY450_.jpg (23.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 7th August 2020, 05:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Last Shift (2014)

Rookie police officer Jessica Loren (Juliana Harkavy) is given the unenviable last shift at a police station before it is closed down. Ordered not to leave as she waits for a hazmat team to arrive to collect the final cases of crime scene evidence, strange events start to occur and Jessica realizes she might not be alone in the seemingly deserted police station.

This remains on second viewing a good low budget horror with a cool slow burning build up and creepy scares. The film makers make great Lewton-esq use of light and shadows and it's what is hidden in the shadows that might give you one or two eerie surprises.

Last Shift is the kind of film all low budget movie makers should aspire to and shows what can be achieved with limited sets and a small cast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg last-shift-poster.jpg (95.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 7th August 2020, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted D!!!

Village Of The Damned (1960, Wolf Rilla)

Initially watching this with the comm, I eventually turned THAT off as he was pissing me off. Restarting the film, I just sat back and enjoyed it. The eerie opening scenes. Norman Vaughn as the local bobby! Wondering how pissed Sanders was at points. The totally MALE viewpoint. Barbara Shelley.
Must watch The Innocents again!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V.jpg (106.7 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th August 2020, 08:07 AM
Cult Acolyte

ED WOOD
Johnny Depp stars in this wonderful love letter to Ed and his films.
All the actors here are wonderfully cast, the recreation of scenes from his movies are pitch perfect and all filmed in glorious black and white.
Special mention of course, must go to Martin Landau as a washed up, drug addled Bela Lugosi.
Touching, funny and hugely entertaining.

BEST FRIENDS
Two guys ( one just back from Vietnam ) embark on a road trip with their girlfriends. However, when it soon becomes clear that both have different views on how they want to live their lives, it all points towards tragedy for all.
I’m not really a fan of these buddy / road trip movies, but I enjoyed this one. The characters are well rounded ( if not all of them likeable ) and it’s nicely directed.
Another little seen minor gem from Vinegar Syndrome.
Old 8th August 2020, 09:34 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Over the last couple of days, I've watched two versions of Miracles, the 1989 Jackie Chan-directed film put out on Blu-ray by 88 Films.

I first watched the longest cut of the film, Mr Canton and Lady Rose, with the Cantonese audio track and couldn't figure out why so much of it seemed familiar. It's a superbly directed film with great camera movement, editing, period design, and incorporating elements of melodrama, action, comedy, and romance into a story which is not just coherent, but engaging and a lot of fun.

After watching the shorter cut last night with the English dub, a way which didn't work for me at all and felt wrong, I discovered the reason why the film didn't seem fresh and new – I bought the Hong Kong Legends DVD in 2013 and watched it a couple of times that year!
I think that Mr Canton and Lady Rose is my favourite Jackie Chan film now. I still love the likes of Project A and Police Story 2 but there was something special about this one.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!