LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2020, 10:37 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I think that Mr Canton and Lady Rose is my favourite Jackie Chan film now. I still love the likes of Project A and Police Story 2 but there was something special about this one.
It's a brilliant film with a beautiful story and a charming performance from Jackie Chan. Like I said, it shows his range as an actor and his skill as a director. I might have been a bit harsh only giving it four stars.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 8th August 2020, 05:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Expendables 2 (2012)

An actual scene from the film -

Trench (Arnold Schwarzenegger): "I’ll be back!"

Church (Bruce Willis): "You’ve been back enough, this time, I’ll be back"

*Church leaves*

Trench: "Yippie-ki-yay..."

*Booker (Chuck Norris) Appears, and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly theme starts playing

Trench: "who’s next, Rambo?"

Fantastic movie, fantastic cast and shit really does blow up!
Old 8th August 2020, 11:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

For Your Eyes Only (1981)

One of the lesser Bond films in my opinion which for better or worse doesn't feel like the usual globe trotting money no object typical Bond action adventure. Perhaps the producers decided the only way to follow up the huge spectacular epic that was Moonraker (1979), a film that was a phenomenal success financially, was pretty much impossible so they decided to scale things down somewhat.

That doesn't mean For Your Eyes Only isn't any good. It is but it is lacking something. For one it lacks a credible Bond villain. Julian Glover is okay but his smuggling operation is certainly small scale compared to Bond villains prior - perhaps it was a mistake to kill off Blofeld in an ill advised but quite exciting opening helicopter sequence as he would have made for a better villain.

In truth the film is about twenty minutes too long and my mind (as it always did) starts to wander during a lengthy underwater sequence just after the hour mark - before that the film had been an intriguing little ride with some great action sequences, the most memorable being the hillside car chase where Bond and gorgeous Carole Bouquet are at the wheel of a yellow Citroen - but the final assault on the clifftop hang out of Glover is nicely staged with a tense ascent up the cliffs for Bond.

Oddly enough for a Roger Moore Bond movie the Bond girls and un-erotic fumblings are kept to a minimum, Bond even turns down sex with Lynn-Holly Johnson at one point (a good thing as he appeared to be twice her age) and Carole Bouquet who co-stars is more akin to the likes of License to Kill's Pam Bouvier with her business before pleasure ideals rather than the typical 'Oh James' swoony types occasionally cast opposite Moore. Moore himself is fine. Probably not his best work in the role but he's capable enough.

What i found oddly bewildering was the lack of use of Monty Norman's classic signature tune, instead opting for uninspired 80's pop during the best action sequences. Had these excellently done sequences boasted the soaring theme then the film as a whole would have felt more exhilarating.

As far as grittier Bond films go this is certainly no License to Kill (1989) but for the most part it is pretty decent although on the grand scale of things it probably gets a little lost in OO7 history sandwiched between the incomparable Moonraker and the under appreciated but certainly grander Octopussy (1983).
Old 9th August 2020, 04:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching prison films lately for some reason.

Glass house 1972 excellent prison film exactly how I like em.

Bad boys shaun penn, another great gem.

Short eyes really enjoyed this a tale of 2 sides.

Tv version of scum, tbh first time I’ve ever seen tv version, film version more or the same a few minor differences here and there but not much, film version more brutal tho.

Any other recommendation in this type of style ? .

Last edited by gag; 9th August 2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 9th August 2020, 05:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Been watching prison films lately for some reason.

Glass house 1972 excellent prison film exactly how I like em.

Bad boys shaun penn, another great gem.

Short eyes really enjoyed this a tale of 2 sides.

Tv version of scum, tbh first time I’ve ever seen tv version, film version more or the same a few minor differences here and there but not much, film version more brutal tho.

Any other recommendation in this type of style ? .
Papillon, Dog pound (American style Scum version) Midnight Express, Kiss Of The Spider Woman, may be worth a watch for you gag.
gag likes this.
Old 9th August 2020, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anyone that has Shudder and is thinking about watching Host, that’s been getting a lot of praise lately, here’s a list of things more enjoyable to spend the 56 minute running time doing:

1) Watching paint dry
2) Spooning your own eyes out
3) Trying to convince a flat earther that the earth is round
4) Arguing about whether Near Dark is better than The Lost Boys
5) Literally anything else!

In other words, it’s a bag of shite and definitely not worthy of the reviews it’s been getting! 1/5
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th August 2020, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Anyone that has Shudder and is thinking about watching Host, that’s been getting a lot of praise lately, here’s a list of things more enjoyable to spend the 56 minute running time doing:

1) Watching paint dry
2) Spooning your own eyes out
3) Trying to convince a flat earther that the earth is round
4) Arguing about whether Near Dark is better than The Lost Boys
5) Literally anything else!

In other words, it’s a bag of shite and definitely not worthy of the reviews it’s been getting! 1/5
Totally agree what a pile of old shite, do people have such poor taste now that they enjoy any old crap?
Old 9th August 2020, 06:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

Children Should'nt Play With DeadThings.(1972).
There is no doubt about it,CSPWDT is strange even for the early 1970s...Bob Clark (although the credits say Benjamin) gives us quite a bizarre black comedy about a troupe of actors,lead by theatre director Alan ( played ridiculously over the top by Alan Ormsby,in fact quite a few of the cast seem to keep there own first name.) who take his cast to a deserted island, which conviently has a graveyard... The only thing more over the top than Ormsby performance is his stripey trousers complete with day glow orange shirt,and his Colonel Sanders moustache and goatee, fashion faux pas apart,I always thought this was one of the better zombie movies that was not filmed by Romero,this and Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue seemed to add a new twist to the zombie lore...In this case Alan evokes the dead by reading from a grimoire ( a kind of Book of the dead) all the gang need is a corpse, and after a practical joke involving two camp actors dressed as zombies,they decide to use Orville Dunworth (Seth Sklarey),a corpse they had dug up earlier... It can be fairly camp at time's,I mean marrying a zombie ( Probably the first same sex marriage on screen) is not what we usually get from Romero...All in all its a bizarre take on a now very familiar theme,and it fits in well with Bob Clark other odd zombie film Deathdream*(also known as*Dead of Night).Truly bonkers,with a great poster,but how the MPPA only gave this a PG rating at the time is beyond me...

Old 9th August 2020, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Papillon, Dog pound (American style Scum version) Midnight Express, Kiss Of The Spider Woman, may be worth a watch for you gag.
Thanks I’ve heard about dog pound before, so just bought it off eBay blu ray £3.50 pp inc.
Old 9th August 2020, 08:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Tenebrae

A writer arrives in Rome to promote his latest book, only to find that someone is using it as inspiration for gruesome killings. Twists, turns & much bloodshed follows.

Argento classic, in my opinion, fast paced, great cast, great soundtrack. Endlessly watchable!

Like this? Share it using the links below!