All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2020, 02:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The House that Jack Built (2018)

Lars Von Trier's most accessible film for a while is a fun black comedy and basically Von Trier's take on Dante's journey into hell with nods to American Psycho and Corman's The Masque of the Red Death.

Matt Dillon gives a good performance as a serial killer relating his deeds to an unseen person played by Bruno Ganz but from about twenty minutes in i'd decided it was either a cop or the Devil himself and it soon became apparent it wasn't a cop.

Whilst i laughed quite a few times during the two and a half hours run time i never found it repulsive as some audiences have, just blackly comical. And whilst an engaging watch it was never particularly gripping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house_that_jack_built_ver10_xlg.jpg (97.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th August 2020, 03:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

God Told Me To (Larry Cohen, 1976)

A detective investigates a series of seemingly motiveless crimes. What he discovers ... isn't in his handbook to say the least. Keep your eyes peeled for Andy Kaufman!
I'm very fond of this one, it's not perfect (the lead is WOODEN AF) but it's not going to get remade any time soon!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G.jpg (42.5 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th August 2020, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Return of Dracula. 1958.

Dracula leaves his native home, murders a passenger on the train and takes his identity and lives with the victim's family.

This was a decent atmospheric 50s take on the Dracula genre that i didn't have much hopes for but turned out to be a pleasant viewing, Frances Lederer plays the count who is looking for some fresh meat and a new bride to share his love with in the form of Norma Eberhardt. With a immigration officer on his heels and his strange behavior in questions can make it quite tense. Lederer said he hated making this movie as it was rushed into production, but he made the character his own and was able to pull it off with the menacing eye stare.

MV5BMzViNWM5OWYtYzY2My00M2JhLTgwY2MtZjRlYTBmNmY4MzVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 15th August 2020, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Was a Teenage Werewolf. 1957.

A scientist uses a teenager for a guinea pig for a serum that turns him into a werewolf.

A classic of a kind, to be a teenager in the 50s the effects were probably superb and scary to some, filmed on a budget that grossed out back then still makes this film enjoyable now. Michael Landon plays the temperamental teen Tony whois selected for a serum and hypnotherapy which has a disastrous results and goes on a rampage. Some of these films nowadays the acting seems daft laughable but this does have a cast that seem to take everything serious and make it enjoyable.

MV5BOGJiNjdlY2QtNTA3OC00Mzk5LWEyZDItNjUxN2NiMTU4ZjE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE2NzA0Ng@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 15th August 2020, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blood Games (1990, Tanya Rosenberg)

A female baseball team fall foul of some rednecks. A laugh riot.
Them townsfolk sure ain't the brightest sparks etc. Led by a man whose idea of parenting would get him on the register nowadays, these dumb clucks have a hard job staying upright (due to a diet of murican beer and popcorn) anyhow!

The Child (1977, Robert Voskanian)

A revisit of an old favourite. When a new "governess" is hired, all hell breaks loose in the Nordon household. You see little Rosalie has ... some unusual friends to say the least. If you haven't seen this, I'll say no more. An oddity certainly!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th August 2020, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Dragons Forever (1988) ★★★½

Starring three superstars of Hong Kong action cinema: Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, and Jackie Chan, and directed by Sammo Hung, Dragons Forever is a wonderful piece of chop-socky with an interesting storyline and some brilliant action sequences involving the 'three brothers', unusually cast against type, on top form.

Although I didn't like the occasional use of slow motion during fight scenes, I love the sequence when Jackie Chan ends up wearing a white vest and black trousers with more than a passing resemblance to Bruce Lee. Generally, a highly entertaining and enjoyable movie which I'm very glad I own.
That song got annoying after a while
Old 15th August 2020, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Possession. 1981.

Mark returns from a business trip and is told by his wife Anna that she wants a divorce. Understanding that he was in a happy marriage, Mark begins to follow Anna believing that infidelity is involved with a man called Heinrich, he uncovers something else.

This is my first time seeing the full uncut version and this was like a total bad road trip of suspense, drama and horror mashed into one film with motion sickness added in. Sam Neil and Isabelle Adjani play the leads although Adjani has two roles in the film which she plays perfectly, one a housewife in a unhappy relationship and the other a school teacher looking to find happiness.

The film is very surreal in showing the breakdown of a mental health state from both sides with the female lead showing one in a tunnel in public while the male lead has one inside four walls of a flat and at times there is a lot of sympathy for their son Bob who is stuck in the middle. The cinematography plays a big part in this with Mark in the rocking chair going back and forth while the camera zooms in and out casing his take on loosing his sanity along with good make up effects of the alien that harbors over them both and a dark side that everyone has that can come out unexpectedly. This will leave you wondering what you have watched and will make you watch again.

Attachment 226980
Was this the film where they got the VHS cover muddled up?
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 15th August 2020, 10:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aye, the UK one was "reversed" somewhat. Crazed flick. REWATCH!!!!

[B]
Old 15th August 2020, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Latest 6

From Russia With Love

Bond Film where he tries to retrieve a De-Coder but SPECTRE have a seemingly well thought out plan. I did not think much to this. I thought that there was too much Bond along with the Russian Spy SPECTRE sent. Also I thought that SPECTRE should have been focused more. One of the more boring Bond films I've watched.

Maximum Force

Absolutely entertaining P/M Entertainment Group Movie in which Sam Jones teams up with other rogue cops in order to bring down the city's leading Crime Boss. John Saxon and Mickey Rooney Star in this loosely similar plot to Gangster Squad. Jones in these kind of roles is very good.

Charlie's Angels (2000)

Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu are the crime fighting heroines who get into some rather interesting situations. I remember being disappointed when I first saw this and I rebought it a few weeks ago (It was cheap in CEX) as I wanted to give it another go and whilst it was better than before, I felt that it was a series of set pieces loosely put together plot wise.

Octopussy

Quite enjoyable Bond Film in which he travels to India to work out why Art Forgeries are occurring, whilst there he encounters a rogue Russian General and a very rich Socialite. Some really got fight scenes especially with some of the weapons (Beds Of Nails, Hot Coals...etc) and some henchman with gimmicks (Circus Knife Throwing Brothers) which are always entertaining.

Edge Of The Axe

Saw this as it seems that everyone else on the forum as and my God ABSLOUTELY BORING. Seriously if any film need plenty of blood, gore and nudity, it was this one.

Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle

The girls are back and this time they are out to retrieve a stolen Witness Relocation list. Demi Moore Co-Stars, I enjoyed this one a lot, a really fun film with a thumping soundtrack.

BTW, I gave up on the recent re-make after about 3o minutes, so awful with dodgy CGI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frwl.jpg (13.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg mf.jpg (14.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ca.jpg (14.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg o.jpg (15.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg eota.jpg (14.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg caft.jpg (13.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th August 2020, 12:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
God Told Me To (Larry Cohen, 1976)

A detective investigates a series of seemingly motiveless crimes. What he discovers ... isn't in his handbook to say the least. Keep your eyes peeled for Andy Kaufman!
I'm very fond of this one, it's not perfect (the lead is WOODEN AF) but it's not going to get remade any time soon!!!
I remember having a pre cert vhs of this under the title Demon!

Just got the Blue Underground br (had the dvd for ages), quality film, I still don't quite understand it but it's very unsettling!
Great choice!

Watching Cat & the Canary (Bob Hope)-Pure old creaky house gold!!!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!