Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179617Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2020, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Latest 6

Flight Of The Navigator

Classic 80's film in which a boy who disappeared for 8 years reappears but hasn't aged, he is taken to a facility where he becomes the navigator of a space ship.

An absolute joy to watch back in the day and frankly still is today.

Definitely Maybe

Ryan Reynolds tells the story of his 3 relationships to his Daughter when she asks about her Mother. Worth a watch if on TV or can find cheap.

Absolute Beginners

A young photographer is hopelessly in love with a gorgeous model (Patsy Kensit). In order to impress her, he gets involved with a pop promoter (Lionel Blair) to try and make it big and wins her love. David Bowie Co-Stars.

Where do I start with this one, well I remember the trailer way back when, I got the DVD and just fished it out, this is one strange film, it feels like it was shot is if it was a stage show and it definitely dated now with all the teen references and the strong racism storyline with a hate group. Love the title song by David Bowie.

Firepower

Chad McQueen and Gary Daniels are 2 Cops who undercover into a lawless zone of Los Angeles to bring down a criminal gang who's lead by Jim Hellwig (Otherwise known as The Ultimate Warrior)

Another great P/M Entertainment Group film with all the usual P/M staples of Gunfights, Explosions and Fight Scenes. Hellwig is really good in his role with his only lines being "Get me out" and "Now"

The Fury

A former CIA agent uses the talents of a young psychic to help retrieve his telekinetic son from terrorists, who want to use his mental powers for evil. Stars Kirk Douglas and Directed by Brian DePalma. Not bad.

Do The Right Thing

1989 Spike Lee film which still resonates today telling the story of a community in Brooklyn during the hottest day of the year and the escalating racial tensions which reaches a crescendo. Really powerful stuff and probably Lee's best film. It was well acted and beautifully shot as in they made it look really hot.

I now realize why Lee should have got a Best Director Oscar for this film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fotn.jpg (15.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dm.jpg (14.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ab.jpg (13.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (12.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg tf.jpg (13.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dtrt.jpg (16.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th August 2020, 11:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
THE RAVEN-Karloff and Lugosi.

Class.

Eureka's presentation is immaculate.
Look for the hidden bonus on the Murders In The Rue Morgue disc.
Old 20th August 2020, 03:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Flash Gordon (1980)

Despite flopping on it's original theatrical release, Mike Hodge's Flash Gordon is a tongue firmly in cheek triumph.

It's big budget madness and a hell of a lot of fun, that is if you basically ignore the plot altogether and just sit back and enjoy the ride for the story is a mess and it makes me wonder how much was edited out pre-release.

The acting swings from the brilliantly sublime (Max Von Sydow as Ming the Merciless) to the clunky and corny (Sam J. Jones as Flash and Melody Anderson as Dale Arden) with dialogue to match in both respects. Brian Blessed's "Gordon's Alive" and much of the chat between Ming and Klytus (The velvety voiced Peter Wyngarde) is joyous yet there's also much that will have you with your head in your hands too. A special mention for Ornella Muti who is a delight as the witty Princess Aura but it's Von Sydow who runs away with the picture.

The special effects also range from the superb to the seemingly drug induced, the same goes for the sumptuous costumes and there's a streak of filth that runs throughout that adults will notice but will more than likely go over the head of younger viewers.

Flash Gordon isn't serious sci-fi but for all it's frivolity there are several tension inducing sequences and some terrific set pieces in and among the candy coated antics that bring a certain uniqueness to proceedings, and despite the obvious flaws it remains a favourite of mine and of many other cult movie fans.
Old 20th August 2020, 04:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Flash Gordon (1980)

Despite flopping on it's original theatrical release, Mike Hodge's Flash Gordon is a tongue firmly in cheek triumph.

It's big budget madness and a hell of a lot of fun, that is if you basically ignore the plot altogether and just sit back and enjoy the ride for the story is a mess and it makes me wonder how much was edited out pre-release.

The acting swings from the brilliantly sublime (Max Von Sydow as Ming the Merciless) to the clunky and corny (Sam J. Jones as Flash and Melody Anderson as Dale Arden) with dialogue to match in both respects. Brian Blessed's "Gordon's Alive" and much of the chat between Ming and Klytus (The velvety voiced Peter Wyngarde) is joyous yet there's also much that will have you with your head in your hands too. A special mention for Ornella Muti who is a delight as the witty Princess Aura but it's Von Sydow who runs away with the picture.

The special effects also range from the superb to the seemingly drug induced, the same goes for the sumptuous costumes and there's a streak of filth that runs throughout that adults will notice but will more than likely go over the head of younger viewers.

Flash Gordon isn't serious sci-fi but for all it's frivolity there are several tension inducing sequences and some terrific set pieces in and among the candy coated antics that bring a certain uniqueness to proceedings, and despite the obvious flaws it remains a favourite of mine and of many other cult movie fans.
One film that never fails to disappoint me
Old 20th August 2020, 06:20 PM
Cult Master

45748aa42a7530b3387bc79b8722e8f8.jpg

A paranoid and jealous woman enlists the help of her friends to break into a storage until belonging to her fiance trying to find his diary to make sure he has no secrets before their wedding day. After the convince the manager to leave them in the end up on the wrong floor at the wrong storage until and the friends end up getting killed by a creature or deranged man. Getting out is going to be a lot harder than getting in.

I like the idea and maybe the first 10 or 15 minutes but the more characters that appeared the worse it got stupid dialogue and stupid scenarios. After watching your best friend getting murdered in front of your eyes and the only reason she was there was because of you then you might just show some emotion but there is nothing whatsoever just its mentioned once and that's it. We get a very suspicious cop a hippy a slimeball guy there with his soon to be ex wife splitting their belongings before the divorce papers go through all very unlikeable with pretty lame motives for being there in the first place. The idea remained good but the execution was bad. I did really like the ending but not enough to safe the rest of the film.

4/10
Old 20th August 2020, 06:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 227163

A paranoid and jealous woman enlists the help of her friends to break into a storage until belonging to her fiance trying to find his diary to make sure he has no secrets before their wedding day. After the convince the manager to leave them in the end up on the wrong floor at the wrong storage until and the friends end up getting killed by a creature or deranged man. Getting out is going to be a lot harder than getting in.

I like the idea and maybe the first 10 or 15 minutes but the more characters that appeared the worse it got stupid dialogue and stupid scenarios. After watching your best friend getting murdered in front of your eyes and the only reason she was there was because of you then you might just show some emotion but there is nothing whatsoever just its mentioned once and that's it. We get a very suspicious cop a hippy a slimeball guy there with his soon to be ex wife splitting their belongings before the divorce papers go through all very unlikeable with pretty lame motives for being there in the first place. The idea remained good but the execution was bad. I did really like the ending but not enough to safe the rest of the film.

4/10
I thought it was disappointing too. Promised much but delivered little.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 20th August 2020, 06:51 PM
Cult Master

MV5BY2QwODA2OTQtNDFkNS00MzY5LTljNTAtZmIwNjk3NmY5NDJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTc0MjEyODU@._V1_.jpg

Five friends return to one of their family homes for thanksgiving but two rednecks living on their land gatecrash the party and things start going downhill from there when people start to die.

This film sucks balls holy shit right from the opening theme song i should of just turned it off but im trying my best to give films more of a chance sometimes with newer films it works out and i discover a gem this is not one of them. The characters will drive you crazy everyone of them is an absolute f***wit. After seeing her boyfriends dead body she starts acting all rambo and tooling herself up with an arsenal of weapons only to discover all the cartridges are empty and there goes that pointless idea and we rapidly move on like it never happened. One of the main female characters has the most stupid scream i have ever heard in a film. Then we have one of the oddest most awkward gay guy making a move on a straight guy scenes i have ever seen in my life

When they say that horror can influence people to murder in real life well its true shit films like this make me want to go on a rampage

The ending gave me explosive diarrhea

What a load of horrible b*ll*x and a waste of time and the type of film that gives horror and especially newer horror a bad name / 10
Old 20th August 2020, 07:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Rabid (2019) ★★★★

Remaking/reimagining a David Cronenberg film which many people rate highly and consider something of a great in the body horror subgenre was a big gamble so it's to the Soska sisters' credit that the film feels both fresh and interesting.

Laura Vandervoort gives a compelling, multilayered performance as a young woman trying to find her way in the fashion world, and she conveys Rose's strength, fragility, ambition, and a past tragedy superbly. The film wouldn't have worked if Rose was bland and unrelatable so it is fortunate that the screenplay gives the actors so much to work withz she is and brought to life by such a talented actor.

If you have seen the trailer or the poster, you should have the impression that the CGI special effects make-up would impress and they don't disappoint – the film looks great, both stylish and suitably bloody.

Although it may not be as strong a film as their brilliant American Mary, I really enjoyed it and am in the mood to watch Cronenberg's Rabid and then give this another viewing.
Old 20th August 2020, 07:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (1972) ★★★★

This Umberto Lenzi film is undoubtedly a second-tier giallo – it's not Deep Red, Blood and Black Lace, or Tenebrae – but it's a brilliantly crafted and well performed film which deserves to be well placed on any list of essential gialli.

It's been many years since I saw this last, watching the Shriek Show/Media Blasters DVD around a decade ago. This remastered Blu-ray release from 88 Films is very impressive and, with the long gaps between viewings, it was like watching it for the first time again. I'll probably watch the disc a few more times this week to listen to the commentary and see how the Italian audio track sounds.
Old 20th August 2020, 08:03 PM
Cult Master

Slumberpartymassacre2.jpg

Courtney constantly has nightmares about a rock n roll killer and his guitar with drill replacing the neck for killin drilling and rockin n rollin. But when Courtney and her band go for a party in one of the band members rich daddies houses he is soon out of her nightmares and into her reality.

The first 55 minutes are a bit slow mostly made up of the band playing the girls getting drunk and dancing in feathers and taking their tops off and Courtney dreaming and freaking out while everyone just thinks shes a crazy bitch. Suddenly everything is crammed into the last 20 minutes where its just rock n roll music and rock n roll puns drills and gore.

Overall its a good bit of fun and it knows thats exactly what it is. The killer is over the top with his big quiff leather jacket leather pants and sliver covered leather cowboy boots and not forgetting is over sized big bright red guitar and jumbo drill and he is having a blast. Definitely not one to be taken serious and its hard to criticise it because its not trying to be anything its not just tongue in cheek fun. I will just say that it spent a little too long building up to the action and then its just madness at a lightning pace. I would of preferred a little more time with the killing instead of killing everyone in the space of five minutes.

7/10

Too much slumber party not enough massacre

Like this? Share it using the links below!