Old 20th August 2020, 08:22 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
One film that never fails to disappoint me
Fond memories...it used to be aired on Christmas eve back in the eighties....
MrBarlow likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th August 2020, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

VFW. 2019.

A group of veterans defend their bar and a young girl from a deranged drug dealer and his gang.

Why did i wait so long to see this film it was awesome, it may not have the best script but the acting kept it entertaining from some great names that we remembered from the 80s and 90s. It did have a feel of some movies we have seen about places being under seiged but with more blood and very upset angry ex veterans who know how to stand their ground.

The Woman In Black. 1989.

London solicitor Arthur Kipps is tasked to oversee the settle of a estate of a recently deceased woman but becomes entangled in something more sinister.

This is the second time seeing the classic original, It wasn't as dark as the remake but still has a creepy dark atmosphere, Adrian Rawlins plays Arthur Kipps who starts to think the house Eel Marsh maybe hiding more secrets and begins to find them out and i will admit i did jump at one specific scene, thank god i wasn't holding a cup of coffee at the time. Great to have this to my collection.

VFW.jpg womaninblack1989.jpg
Old 20th August 2020, 08:51 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
VFW. 2019.

A group of veterans defend their bar and a young girl from a deranged drug dealer and his gang.

Why did i wait so long to see this film it was awesome, it may not have the best script but the acting kept it entertaining from some great names that we remembered from the 80s and 90s. It did have a feel of some movies we have seen about places being under seiged but with more blood and very upset angry ex veterans who know how to stand their ground.

The Woman In Black. 1989.

London solicitor Arthur Kipps is tasked to oversee the settle of a estate of a recently deceased woman but becomes entangled in something more sinister.

This is the second time seeing the classic original, It wasn't as dark as the remake but still has a creepy dark atmosphere, Adrian Rawlins plays Arthur Kipps who starts to think the house Eel Marsh maybe hiding more secrets and begins to find them out and i will admit i did jump at one specific scene, thank god i wasn't holding a cup of coffee at the time. Great to have this to my collection.

Attachment 227166 Attachment 227167
I was the same with VFW i keep passing it on Netflix until one night i was bored i gave it a go and it was great.
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 20th August 2020, 08:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I was the same with VFW i keep passing it on Netflix until one night i was bored i gave it a go and it was great.
I always thought it wouldn't be for me even though i like the cast and last night stuck it on and had a blast.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 20th August 2020, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A enjoyable 80s slasher with some good kills and that shock ending. A film that proves kids are a evil and nasty bunch of little shits and deserve a gruesome death. 8/10

Tried watching last movie drive in in on shudder but gave up, the host came off as dull and boring and a little bigoted, would just go off moaning about this and that which had nothing to do with the film, just be an American thing.

Is orgy of the living dead anygood?

Last edited by trebor8273; 20th August 2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 20th August 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A enjoyable 80s slasher with some good kills and that shock ending. A film that proves kids are a evil and nasty bunch of little shits and deserve a gruesome death. 8/10

Tried watching last movie driving in on shudder but gave up, the host came off as dull and boring and a little bigoted, would just go off moaning about this and that which had nothing to do with the film, just be an American thing.

Is orgy of the living dead anygood?
I need to rebuy all the sleepaway camps because the ones I’ve got are all slightly trimmed.

And I checked the cuts for human centipede 2
32 scene alterations for 3 minutes of cuts. That’s some cuts, then again I wasn’t exactly expecting the rape barb wire scene to be intact anyway.
Old 21st August 2020, 01:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Catcanaryposter.jpg
THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1939)

Paulette Goddard inherits an isolated old mansion after the reading of a will there. Teaming up with Bob hope they follow clues to a hidden diamond necklace.
Hidden passages and panels, opening book cases, the 'cat' roaming around and Gale Sondergaard talking to the spirits make this a great comedy horror.

MaskofFuManchu.jpg
THE MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932)

A race against time to stop Fu Manchu acquiring the mask and sword of Gengis Khan and a war to wipe out the white race.
Boris Karloff is great as Fu Manchu and the make up looks great, possibly the most sinister looking Fu Manchu on screen.
Trade mark death traps include moving metal spikes and a crocodile pit.
Old 21st August 2020, 02:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

In the Folds of the Flesh (1970)

Last night was the fourth time i've watched In the Folds of the Flesh and i'm still not convinced i understand what it's about.

What i do know is that it's a wonderfully funky and bizarre little gialli featuring both Nazis and vultures so to anyone who enjoys a challenge that plays out like some sort of incoherent fever dream I can't recommend this one highly enough!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiwi_orange_socks-2448944.jpg (54.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st August 2020, 04:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Godzilla 1984 (aka: Godzilla 1985/Return of Godzilla)
Japanese cut, English subs (kraken releasing dvd)

Ok, MASSIVE Godzilla fan when I was younger so have gone mad on collecting as many as possible to re-watch, I have never seen this one though remember the vhs cover well! This is probably one of the best (in my opinion!), very much keeping the grim tone of the original. Godzilla resurfaces 30 years after the original attack, and America, Russia, Japan try & decide diplomatically what to do. This film is gripping, but has more the feel of a cold war thriller than a Godzilla movie! Solid (serious) performances from all & a fast pace, one great movie!

4/5

Have basically got the following lined up:

Godzilla Criterion set (for the prints)
Gdzilla (Madman Australian sets, for the English dubs)
Godzilla (2014) & Godzilla: Kotm (recent remakes) for the wife
Old 21st August 2020, 07:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Peterloo (2018) ★★★★

From the celebrated and acclaimed director Mike Leigh comes a second period piece in four years (after 2014's Mr. Turner). Peterloo allows Leigh to engage in politics with righteous anger, something he's done very well throughout his career, and this anger is always bubbling under the surface, never overpowering the narrative.

Released to mark the 200th anniversary of the Peterloo Massacre (August 16, 1819), the film follows several campaigns: those against the Corn Laws, for mass emancipation and greater rights for all free men.

The film culminates in the titular massacre, but the way it builds towards this event is compelling. The various characters are well developed and it's hard not to be swept up in the fervour of the 'give me liberty or give me death' speeches, having been horrified by the callous magistrates, one of whom recommends hanging as a punishment for a man who, when cold, took a coat from a man who had two coats, a coat, when asked, he gave to the magistrate.

It's a beautiful film to watch with outstanding period design, wonderful landscape shots and clever use of close-up.

Having seen it, I'm surprised it wasn't more successful at industry awards ceremonies, not necessarily for the acting (even though Maxine Peake is one of the many highlights in a great ensemble cast), but for the direction, the film as a whole and for Dick Pope's cinematography, Gary Yershon's score, the art direction, costumes and production design.

Like this? Share it using the links below!