Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Creed II. 2018.

After making a name for himself, Adonis is now champion and enjoying the success and having a up and coming family, a new challenger for the champion belt comes calling, Viktor Drago the son of Ivan Drago, Rocky refuses to train Adonis as he fears history may be repeated.

This felt like a remake of Rocky III, tough guy walks in beats the champ, the champ recovers and goes for a rematch and goes in tougher, even Rocky is slowly turning into Mickey with his approach of training. The acting was good even Dolph Lundren still looks wooden as the Russian with no heart or soul and still able to take a good punch. I did find the ending very touching as it seems to show everyone mending family bridges and living happily and peacefully which was a good touch to the find.

portada-creed-ii.jpg
Old 2nd September 2020, 03:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dawn of the Dead (Theatrical cut, 1978). If I have to explain the plot, you shouldn't be here.

Romero's PERFECT zombie movie only gets better with age, solid acting & plot, and (by the end) cartoon visuals. Classic seige movie, political protest, thinking person's horror movie. Humans will be studying this way in the future.

And on top of all the seriousness, it's a damn solid action/horror film whete you CARE about the characters.

The Walking Dead, although started sincerely, is just embarressing.

There's only one George Romero, NEVER TO BE BETTERED!
Old 2nd September 2020, 04:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

My last two viewings of Dawn have been the European edit, it's been a while since I've seen the proper version, I'm going to wait for the box set to arrive. I do love the film but I always enjoyed Day better.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd September 2020, 05:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The latest DC Animated Universe blu dropped on the doormat yesterday so I watched it last night;

Deathstroke: Knights and Dragons Solid piece of voice acting from Michael Chiklis. All in all a strong film with a great concept behind it. Very extras lite, just one quite interesting feature on the Deathstroke Character.

Could do with a little more polish (and a few more extras) but a decent, workmanlike offering. Keep well away from little ones though, far too much blood and death, and an added dose of strong language.

I HAVE to give it a 19/10 for being a Deathstroke movie

Monster Magnet
Old 2nd September 2020, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pale Rider. 1985.

A mysterious preacher arrives in a small town and helps protect a prospector and his family from a greedy mining company.

Clint Eadtwood returns as a man with no name who makes his presence known in a fight and gives out advice to people playing with matches. Michael Moriarty plays the prospector hoping to strike it rich with others to find gold and gets pushed about by the thugs, one played by Richard Kiel who gets a sledgehammer to the nuts at one point. This was the first time seeing this and wont be the last, Angela isn't a fan of Eastwood except Heartbreak Ridge and Every which way but loose but this she enjoyed.

Pale_Rider-866654713-large.jpg
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Codename Wolverine (1996, David Jackson)

Antonio Sabato Jr TVM actioner based on a Frederick Forsyth thing. The only reason I watched this was that during unboxing everything pre opening, I came across a box filled with his books and thought "they made a load of Maclean's ones, why didn't they film some of his? I know some were ..." , as both are synonymous in my mind after a lifetime of seeing them on bookshelves. AHEM. Plus tis only 90 minutes.

A teacher picks up the wrong bag whilst on vacation.
The owner is called Adolfo Jones.
He wants his bag back.
Cue one of the more generic things I've ever watched. I can also "see" the words on the page, so to speak. Luckily the Exploito element does kick in in the last 3rd, as facts about this teacher (and his bird!! ) become self evident.
Did I also mention that Ramon Tikaram is a henchman in it??
Remarkably silly at the end.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
The latest DC Animated Universe blu dropped on the doormat yesterday so I watched it last night;

Deathstroke: Knights and Dragons Solid piece of voice acting from Michael Chiklis. All in all a strong film with a great concept behind it. Very extras lite, just one quite interesting feature on the Deathstroke Character.

Could do with a little more polish (and a few more extras) but a decent, workmanlike offering. Keep well away from little ones though, far too much blood and death, and an added dose of strong language.

I HAVE to give it a 19/10 for being a Deathstroke movie
I doubt Deathstroke is as hard as Vic Mackey.
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Apocalypse Now (1979)

The Final Cut. - Clocking in at a good twenty minutes shorter than the Redux version released in 2001, the Final Cut, released and remastered in 2019, at just over three hours is director Francis Ford Coppola's preferred version, although i'm not sure that it's mine.

It took me several viewings of the theatrical version to even begin to appreciate what a masterpiece this film was and the 2001 Redux added so much more to the movie. Whilst it's obvious that Coppola clearly found some scenes redundant i always liked the idea that we were getting the full story allowing us to make up our own minds about events portrayed. Apocalypse Now never seemed like a movie, especially the first two hours, it feels like a 'look at life' in war torn Vietnam, albeit a look at life from the invading American point of view with the horrors and indeed frivolities of war there for all to see. The idea of troops surfing the waves and ogling Playboy Bunnies whilst others were flattening nearby Vietnamese villages just seems so, well, f*cked up, basically.

Having said that this Final Cut with it's 4K remaster is something to behold, even in upscaled dvd mode. Not only can Robert Duvall's Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore love the smell of Napalm in the morning, in 4K he can hear it decimate his 5:1 sound system too.

And as for that 'Wagner death from the sky sequence'...Wow! Just wow!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31144-1571887621905.jpg (37.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:31 PM
Active Cultist

The Hater

It's amazing in 2020 there is still marketing errors like this, when you look to the poster you think this movies is me sort of comedy or similar, but The Hater it's much more, it's a movie so actual that is scary - about how fake news can change the views of people, how can one person easily manipulate others.

It's an amazing thriller, you really just want to strangle the main character in the end of the movie, it will stay with you for a long time. One of the best movies I watched this year. Period
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:58 AM
Cult Veteran

I actually passed over this the other day due to the poster so you might be right that the advertising/marketing for it is a misstep. I might go back to it and give it a chance
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!