Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
An old lighthouse keeper, Thomas and his lackey Ephraim take up their post on a remote lighthouse somewhere off the coast of New England for a four week stint of drinking, masturbating and farting.
Drinking masturbating and farting! Haha. Sounds like a great night in!!

I saw The Lighthouse at the cinema and really enjoyed it. Dark and gloomy, like you say, but I enjoyed the two characters interactions too. The old lighthouse keeper trying to make sure the young un didn’t get aspirations above his station, and the young one seemingly just desperate to run the lighthouse and not get left doing all the shitty jobs on his own.

It gave me a bit of a ‘Lord of the Flies’ power struggle vibe, but just between the two of them.

Then theres the mental degradation, which I thought was really well illustrated.

Plus all the wanking, farting and drinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Pee-Wee's Big Adventure last night for the first time and to say I was mentally worn out by the end is an understatement. It's relentless

I bet though, if I had first seen it back in 1985, aged 8, it'd be one of my favourite films ever, but I didn't and it's not!! An interesting curiousity though...

"Tell them Large Marge sent you"

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd September 2020, 05:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I look forward to my next viewing of The Lighthouse certainly. Mainly because of my hatred of shitehawks

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd September 2020, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Is this thread now 'What films are you thinking of seeing?'?
It was meant to be added as a quote to justin101 Comment,
Referring to how the film got a decent rating, but somehow didn’t work out properly and just my comment.
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:01 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched Pee-Wee's Big Adventure last night for the first time and to say I was mentally worn out by the end is an understatement. It's relentless
I made the mistake of watching it while being slightly high - (What can I say? I was young and foolish)

It's certainly a film you know you have seen when it's ended!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 3rd September 2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I made the mistake of watching it while being slightly high
I wonder if that would have improved The Lighthouse.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Seeing a wee blather about Blue Velvet elsewhere on the forum reminded me I’ve got it lying around somewhere on DVD, but I’ve never gotten around to it. Mrs Funster watched it at uni and had told me its good, but having recently (finally) gotten round to watching the original 2 series of Twi Peaks (and that weird recent monkey interview thing) I have to admit I’m now a bit put off by the David Lynch name

I really don’t get the love for Twin Peaks at all. Felt like just a weird soap opera where nothing made sense. Melodramatic. Over acting. Weird, awkward characters. That everyone had their own theme songs that played wherever they had a scene. It was almost like what I imagine The Truman Show would have been like had it been an actual real thing on the tv. Excepting that I do really like the Truman show. Lol.

....I’ll show myself out now

Old 3rd September 2020, 08:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I wonder if that would have improved The Lighthouse.

Demon says yes.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Seeing a wee blather about Blue Velvet elsewhere on the forum reminded me I’ve got it lying around somewhere on DVD, but I’ve never gotten around to it. Mrs Funster watched it at uni and had told me its good, but having recently (finally) gotten round to watching the original 2 series of Twi Peaks (and that weird recent monkey interview thing) I have to admit I’m now a bit put off by the David Lynch name

I really don’t get the love for Twin Peaks at all. Felt like just a weird soap opera where nothing made sense. Melodramatic. Over acting. Weird, awkward characters. That everyone had their own theme songs that played wherever they had a scene. It was almost like what I imagine The Truman Show would have been like had it been an actual real thing on the tv. Excepting that I do really like the Truman show. Lol.

....I’ll show myself out now

I don't really get Twin Peaks either. I've held on to the boxset with the intention of tackling it again one day but it didn't seem anything special.

MuckyFunster likes this.
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

And here it is .... again ....

Burn The Heretics

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!