Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2020, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Can't say I'm a fan of the spin-offs, I gave the 1st 2 a shot but didn't like them.

I especially didn't like the fact that Jim and Michelle had a baby and it was mentioned casually during Band Camp.

American Baby would have made a great addition to the Theatrical releases.
I saw one and part of one and couldn’t take to them either so never bothered with them.
troggi likes this.
Old 7th September 2020, 08:11 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
No worries, just don’t ask if such a film any good because I’ll just watch it and give a fake review to either make you watch a shitty film or put you off watching a decent film

I watched rest of the film I don’t know why I just wasn’t feeling it, but saying that it was a good and decent film that makes a refreshing change from all the same old same old that being churned out for the past few yrs or so, and it also ties in with what happening in the world these days with all the fake news and shows how if you’ve got the know how you can manipulate people etc and the problems it can cause eg .....Here a snippet from Wikipedia on the page about the film

Whilst fictional, the film does relate to ongoing real-life situations such as the use of social media to psychologically manipulate users and navigate public opinion through fake news. It is a representation of how online-propelled hatred can lead to severe consequences and real-life casualties. Three weeks after the filming was completed, Paweł Adamowicz, city mayor of Gdańsk and a liberal politician frequently targeted by online haters, was stabbed to death during a live broadcast charity event.

If these are the Consequences of fake news and hatred its actually quite frightening tbh.

Also the film is classed as a sequel to the directors previous film in 2011 suicide room .

Ps just spotted this HBO to make a series based on the film the hater,
https://www.filmneweurope.com/news/p...-komasa-s-film
That is exactly why I enjoyed the movie so much, on nowadays with all this fake news non sense & etc it's crazy - I have Suicide Room on my list already, and didn't know about the tv show, thanks for the heads up
troggi likes this.
Old 7th September 2020, 07:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Isolation (2005)

An extremely claustrophobic Irish chiller which is a farm yard version of The Thing.

John Lynch is brilliant as a struggling cattle farmer who faces an eco nightmare after volunteering his cattle herd to scientists to perform artificial insemination experiments on. What follows is an understated yet highly sustained experiment in slow burn terror as the film becomes a powerfully atmospheric exercise in musty rural decay as well as a terrifying and unrelenting horror film. The superbly realized gloopy gory FX belie the films low budget.

The sequence where Lynch ends up face down in a slurry pit after discovering a body just below the surface really sums this uncompromising movie up.
Old 7th September 2020, 08:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Stepfather. Terry O'Quinn is a man obsessed with having the perfect idealised family - and he moves from single mother to single mother, marrying them and then slaughtering the entire family and moving on when the reality fails to live up to the fantasy. The lovely Jill Schoelen is Stephanie, the teenage girl who senses something dark and dangerous behind her new stepfather's cheery Father Knows Best facade. This mid 80s thriller is still a classic chiller!
Old 7th September 2020, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Day Of The Warrior (1996, Andy Sidaris)

Lotsa new faces and no remote control madness for once, but it's still business as usual in Molokai. Booooooooooooooooooooooooobs. And some gunplay. That's all you care about anyway, so queue right up folks!!
The plot this time is null and void compared to the ... musical numbers ... this time.

Now to rewatch them all in order.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th September 2020, 09:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Isolation (2005)

An extremely claustrophobic Irish chiller which is a farm yard version of The Thing.

John Lynch is brilliant as a struggling cattle farmer who faces an eco nightmare after volunteering his cattle herd to scientists to perform artificial insemination experiments on. What follows is an understated yet highly sustained experiment in slow burn terror as the film becomes a powerfully atmospheric exercise in musty rural decay as well as a terrifying and unrelenting horror film. The superbly realized gloopy gory FX belie the films low budget.

The sequence where Lynch ends up face down in a slurry pit after discovering a body just below the surface really sums this uncompromising movie up.
I'll have to watch this again. Picked it up for about 3 quid last year off your recommendation Dem. To be honest i thought it a bit naff but it may have been the circumstances under which i was trying to watch it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
troggi likes this.
Old 7th September 2020, 11:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have just finished watching "today's droppings" (on the doormat, silly, y' don't think I'd sit watchin' a turd, do ya?)

"Superman: Man of Tomorrow"

You all know by now that I'm a sucker for the DC Animated Universe. It won't be a surprise to find out that I'd been sucked in by this latest offering. The main feature is great, more of that iconic style of animation that I love. As for the extras:
  • Minifig: better quality than it looks in the photo
  • Featurette on Lobo
  • Featurette on Martian Manhunter
  • Previews of upcoming and existing DCAU features
  • Two episodes of "Superman: The Animated Adventures (featuring Lobo)
What can I say? 12.5/10 for the minifig, 27/10 for the fillum, and another 27/10 for the extra features ("Batman: Soul of the Dragon looks so cool)!

Monster Magnet
Old 8th September 2020, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran

Has anyone been to the Cinema lately? I quite want to go and see Tenet but I'm also a bit nervous about it...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th September 2020, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Has anyone been to the Cinema lately? I quite want to go and see Tenet but I'm also a bit nervous about it...
I'm sure it'll be full of pricks who remove their masks the second they enter the screen and start shouting into their phones immediately. Or as they say, business as usual.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:15 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm sure it'll be full of pricks who remove their masks the second they enter the screen and start shouting into their phones immediately. Or as they say, business as usual.
Yeah I kind of feel that way too. It's a shame, there are a couple of movies on at the moment I'd like to see but I'll probably just end up waiting. I think that the last time I went to the cinema was for The Rise of Skywalker so I could probably do with a better last memory

(it might have been Little Women I honestly can't remember...)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!