Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2020, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Owners (Julius Berg)

Arya Stark needs to choose her friends more carefully.
Home invasion flick. Reasonable up to a point.
Not as disturbing as it thinks it is.
Fun casting though for all that.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th September 2020, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

El Topo (1970)

I was really enjoying this crazy movie until it suddenly felt too long. It's split into 3 acts, in the first El Topo is teaching his 7 year old (and very naked) son that it's time to abandon childish things and become a man, in the second act he unceremoniously dumps his child for a woman and they go on a quest to prove his strength and skills by killing the fabled '4 greatest gunmen' in the desert. Finally, and this is when it started to feel like a 2 hour film, our man in black awakens in a cave surrounded by a disabled posse, he vows to liberate them by digging a tunnel, but what follows is 30-40 minutes of mimes and skits.

I think the 2nd act was the most successful for me and I couldn't help but think of Roland Deschain on his quest for the tower.

Even though I feel that this is the most celebrated of all Jodorowsky films, it's my least favourite so far (out of Fando Y Lis, The Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre) but I think I'll be giving it another chance in the future, I'll go for the English dub that time.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th September 2020, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
What is the best current Bluray version of this film, picture/sound quality more important than extras as preference, and not UHD/4K .... please.
There is a new (normal) BluRay by Studio Canal that came out 2 weeks ago that uses the new 4k remaster. As far as I know it has 0 extras.
zeroid likes this.

Old 9th September 2020, 07:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994) ★★★

Without any the eerie atmosphere of the original Phantasm and with A. Michael Baldwin credited but barely featuring, this has a new central relationship with a new protagonist with ice cream vendor Reggie joined by a prepubescent psychopath called Tim.

Instead of the surrealism and unsettling, anxiety dream weirdness which made the first Phantasm such a cult classic, this alternates between jumps, laughs, and suspense.

What really doesn't work is Reggie turning into a full on sex pest, desperately coming onto any female with a pulse, both in his dreams and waking moments.

Of course, the silver spheres have their moments and they don't disappoint thanks to some excellent practical effects and become even more interesting because of scenes involving goblin/zombie brains and some form of mass intelligence or hive mind.

As with the other Phantasm films, this looks great because of the lighting, framing, locations, sets and the cinematography. It's directed with energy, humour, and always seems visually interesting even when the film is almost narratively incoherent.

Though not the greatest film ever made in the fantasy or horror genres, it's a film which is never dull and has plenty to give it rewatch value.
Mojo, Justin101, Demoncrat and 7 others like this.
Old 10th September 2020, 07:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

funhouse-movie-poster-1981-1020227458.jpg
THE FUNHOUSE (1981)

Although almost a bloodless slasher movie, this is a good film and very suspenseful. The showdown with the 'monster' at the end is great stuff. The movie also has a good music score.
I love horror movies with funfairs and wax museum figures and they don't make enough of them.

nm-quad.jpg
THE NEW MUTANTS (2018/2020)

Finally this movie is out. I don't care what anyone says, I thought this film was bloody good.
Although an X-Men spin off, don't go expecting those sort of superhero antics.
The mutants are kept in a so called hospital while their powers are studied and are helped to keep them from being dangerous.. Or so they think!
The film is actually quite dialogue heavy as the mutants try to understand who they are and what is actually going on. Yes, their powers go on show but only briefly throughout and more so at the end. There is some comic book accurate stuff on show here, most notable is Illyana Rasputin (Magik) who looks like she just stepped out of the X-men pages.
So, my son and I had the whole screen to ourselves which was awesome.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994) ★★★

Without any the eerie atmosphere of the original Phantasm and with A. Michael Baldwin credited but barely featuring, this has a new central relationship with a new protagonist with ice cream vendor Reggie joined by a prepubescent psychopath called Tim.

Instead of the surrealism and unsettling, anxiety dream weirdness which made the first Phantasm such a cult classic, this alternates between jumps, laughs, and suspense.

What really doesn't work is Reggie turning into a full on sex pest, desperately coming onto any female with a pulse, both in his dreams and waking moments.

Of course, the silver spheres have their moments and they don't disappoint thanks to some excellent practical effects and become even more interesting because of scenes involving goblin/zombie brains and some form of mass intelligence or hive mind.

As with the other Phantasm films, this looks great because of the lighting, framing, locations, sets and the cinematography. It's directed with energy, humour, and always seems visually interesting even when the film is almost narratively incoherent.

Though not the greatest film ever made in the fantasy or horror genres, it's a film which is never dull and has plenty to give it rewatch value.

I remember laughing a lot at this one, mainly due to the cut price Grace Jones tee hee

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th September 2020, 09:18 AM
Cult Veteran

I remember enjoying Phantasm 3 more than part 2, but I did think that Reg's sex pest arc was a bit much

However, I enjoyed part 4 much more! I think the 5th one was OK too

Old 11th September 2020, 12:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I remember enjoying Phantasm 3 more than part 2, but I did think that Reg's sex pest arc was a bit much

However, I enjoyed part 4 much more! I think the 5th one was OK too
Phantasm III took me a bit to warm up to prefer
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th September 2020, 12:52 PM
Cult Addict

I've only seen Phantasm 3 once, when it came out and it's always been my least favourite one, i need to re watch it at some point and see what i make of it now.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 11th September 2020, 12:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I've only seen Phantasm 3 once, when it came out and it's always been my least favourite one, i need to re watch it at some point and see what i make of it now.
When I watched the box set in March I enjoyed them nice trip down the teen years memory but unfortunatly the other half didnt appreciate them.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!