All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2020, 04:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
47 Meters Down: Uncaged (2019)
I enjoyed it too it was like The Decent, but underwater!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12th September 2020, 06:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Mirage (1965)

Mirage..(1965)
Mirage is a heady mix of Alfred Hitchcock meets the Twilight Zone..If you are a fan of Hitchcock style thrillers like Charade and Arabesque,then you should really enjoy this Edward Dmytryk directed mystery movie...Gregory Peck is David Stillwell,an accountant for a major company,one evening his building suffers from a power cut and in the same evening a man jumps from the building committing suicide...From that evening onwards Stillwell cannot remember anything that had happened in his past and seems unable to grasp what is happening to him...Mirage is pretty much ahead of its time with its amnesia driven story line (Momento) and it's mind bending story ( perhaps Christopher Nolan isn't the genius he and the media thinks he is) and to top it off it has a stellar performance from Gregory Peck...Of course it does owe a slight debt to Hitchcock especially North by Northwest,and you could quite easily switch Gregory Peck's character with Cary Grants...The film has flashbacks but you do not realise there flashbacks untill later in the film,as the story un-ravels and Stillwell starts to remember what happened to him...I have to say this was one of the most entertaining thrillers that I have seen in a long while..

Old 12th September 2020, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted then Ron!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th September 2020, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Wrong Turn (2003)

Wrong Turn was the movie that brought the backwoods horror genre kicking and screaming from the grave following it's seventies and early eighties heyday. I've always loved the genre from it's early beginnings with the likes of Deliverance and Race With the Devil through the likes of Tourist Trap and The Hills Have Eyes to later movies such as Southern Comfort, so seeing Wrong Turn on a cinema screen in 2003 brought me great joy.

Spawning five sequels of varying quality from the excellent (Bloody Beginnings) to the annoying (Left for Dead) and paving the way for a host of imitators and refreshing new blood, Wrong Turn remains an effortlessly entertaining backwoods horror film some seventeen years later. The characters are all fairly likable with a decent cast especially Buffy's Eliza Dushku to get behind, whilst a pacy script thrusts us into the action from the off with some startling tension thrown in whilst Stan Winston's excellent FX and make up prove the cherry on top of the cake.
This is a brilliant movie.

I remember doing a double bill at the Cinema with this and FearDotCom. It was the latter I was looking forward to the most but ended up being bitterly disappointed.

Wrong Turn was a film I initially thought, might be decent, I was certainly wrong.
Old 12th September 2020, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BLOODTIDE – From the director of ‘Island of Death’. Those hoping for something as curdled might be disappointed to find a leisurely travelogue with nice photography and a bad monster puppet at the end. ‘Lovecraftian’ in the eyes of some because of a certain level of fishiness, but I really wouldn’t stretch that far. Somehow though, I found myself liking it.

JACK’S BACK – Sometimes I wonder whether my fondness for these things really just stems from the look and feel of late eighties direct to video junk. ‘Jack’s Back’ is solid but not captivating, although it has good stuff going for it – not only the era-specific vibe, but an early turn from James Spader, here playing a gimmicky double role in this tale of potential resurgent Ripperdom. But it plays more like an angsty thriller than the slasher I was half expecting.

THE IMMORTALIZER – Get an empty house, some people who can play sinister doctors and a few bits of rubber and play-doh – you’re minted, you’ve got a horror classic in the can already. Well, you’ve got ‘The Immortalizer’. Perhaps a lot of the budget went on buying ‘Reanimator’ juice, here in abundance. Era-specific charm is once again the key to unlocking this treasure trove, though there may also be good times in store for those who just like desperate cheapness. A couple of crazy crazy things happen, like doesn’t someone get literally stabbed in the back at one point… with a gun? Scratch your head all you like, all it will do in the end is bleed.

PALE BLOOD – I liked this, ‘Pale Blood’ is definitely my thing. It’s from the late eighties / early nineties and I suppose marries a slightly art studenty “MTV rock video neon mist” vamp aesthetic to direct-to-video-meat-and-potatoes-B-movie-type-hackery. Or should I just say that it’s got Wings Hauser shouting at things (including; boiled eggs) and laughing like a maniac whilst meanwhile, across the city, some dude recites Baudelaire in slow motion in a hipster bar… and leave it at that? For those wanting to get specific, it’s about a soul-sick and existentially weary good-guy vampire on the streets of LA who spends a lot of his time looking nauseated and saddened by life and unlife, whereas Wings is a generally awful psycho Van Helsing type who pisses around making video art and being nasty to hookers. Good movie if you still have a couple of Poppy Z Brite paperbacks at the end of your shelf.

THE LIGHTHOUSE – Another good one. By ‘The VVitch’ guy, as a matter of fact. It has Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe as lighthouse keepers stuck on a remote island with nothing much but their own crappy power dynamic to keep them company. Pattinson resents tyrannical Defoe and falls foul of wanktastic hallucinosis involving visions of a mermaid. We witness the battering of a seagull and some things too arcane and confusing to rightly fathom. The atmosphere is one of simmering madness where nothing is revealed with anything like the luminescence of a lighthouse beam… it may sound a bit too easy, but as a monochrome slump into nightmare, it seems genuinely unsettling.
I was bitterly disappointed with Blood Tide. I feel that there is a better movie in there with a better script that includes more kills throughout.

I believe that there were disagreements behind the scenes during the making of the film.
Old 12th September 2020, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Capricorn One

Entertaining movie about a mission to Mars which ends up having to be faked resulting in the crew running for their lives as the agency wants to cover it up. It has a great cast that includes Elliott Gould, James Brolin and Sam Waterson. It also has a great Plane chase as well.

Twins

A secret research project as a secluded Arnold Schwarzenegger looking for his twin Brother played by Danny DeVito. They end up stealing a car belonging to a crime family and end up being chased. Schwarzenegger's first Comedy is not a bad attempt but would get it right with Kindergarten Cop.

Pale Rider

Clint Eastwood plays a Preacher who helps a small Gold Mining Town from ruthless developers. I'm not normally a Western fan but it's the sort of plot I like and it is a good film.

Labyrinth

A classic film in which Jennifer Connelly has to make her way through the titular Labyrinth in order to save her baby brother from The Goblin King David Bowie.

A film that has been threatened with numerous re-makes but thankfully hasn't happened.

I wonder what happened to Nelson Home Video who released this in the UK VHS Rental Market. Guessing it wasn't a big hit for them.

I remember taping it (I believe it was it's TV Premier) when it was on one of the BBC channels over Christmas and watching it numerous times.

Heartbreak Ridge

Clint Eastwood is the decorated Marine with a gruff personality who ends up in charge of the Marine Corp's laziest division. Obviously her gets them into shape whilst butting heads with his superior officer. It's role, Eastwood is born to play and while the training/battle scenes are really good, I ended up skipping through all the scenes where he's trying to win back his ex-wife.

Anaconda: The Hunt For The Blood Orchid

One of those films that is surprisingly entertaining in which some researchers end up in the Indonesian Jungle along with their Guides in order to find a rear plant that is like The Fountain Of Youth.

Oh yeah there is a giant Anaconda that picks them off. Johnny Messner stars and it appears he is in the wrong era, I believe that if he would have been around in the 80's, I believe that he would have appeared in many 80's B-Movie Action Films that lovingly populated our Video Shops.

Trespass

Two Firemen (William Sadler and Bill Paxton) end up with a map that leads from to some stolen Gold however when they attempt to retrieve it, they end up in a battle with Gangsters lead by Ice T. Ice Cube co-stars.

This is one of those films I read about in the Video Rental magazines back in the day but never got round to watching (There always seemed to be something else in the pecking list) but picked up the Blu-Ray yesterday and whilst it's not the greatest, it's not the worst either.

It reminded me too much of Judgment Night (The film staring Emilio Estevez)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg co.jpg (12.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg t.jpg (9.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg pr.jpg (11.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg l.jpg (14.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg hr.jpg (14.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg athftbo.jpg (14.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg tr.jpg (14.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th September 2020, 11:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BLOODTIDE – From the director of ‘Island of Death’. Those hoping for something as curdled might be disappointed to find a leisurely travelogue with nice photography and a bad monster puppet at the end. ‘Lovecraftian’ in the eyes of some because of a certain level of fishiness, but I really wouldn’t stretch that far. Somehow though, I found myself liking it.

JACK’S BACK – Sometimes I wonder whether my fondness for these things really just stems from the look and feel of late eighties direct to video junk. ‘Jack’s Back’ is solid but not captivating, although it has good stuff going for it – not only the era-specific vibe, but an early turn from James Spader, here playing a gimmicky double role in this tale of potential resurgent Ripperdom. But it plays more like an angsty thriller than the slasher I was half expecting.

THE IMMORTALIZER – Get an empty house, some people who can play sinister doctors and a few bits of rubber and play-doh – you’re minted, you’ve got a horror classic in the can already. Well, you’ve got ‘The Immortalizer’. Perhaps a lot of the budget went on buying ‘Reanimator’ juice, here in abundance. Era-specific charm is once again the key to unlocking this treasure trove, though there may also be good times in store for those who just like desperate cheapness. A couple of crazy crazy things happen, like doesn’t someone get literally stabbed in the back at one point… with a gun? Scratch your head all you like, all it will do in the end is bleed.

PALE BLOOD – I liked this, ‘Pale Blood’ is definitely my thing. It’s from the late eighties / early nineties and I suppose marries a slightly art studenty “MTV rock video neon mist” vamp aesthetic to direct-to-video-meat-and-potatoes-B-movie-type-hackery. Or should I just say that it’s got Wings Hauser shouting at things (including; boiled eggs) and laughing like a maniac whilst meanwhile, across the city, some dude recites Baudelaire in slow motion in a hipster bar… and leave it at that? For those wanting to get specific, it’s about a soul-sick and existentially weary good-guy vampire on the streets of LA who spends a lot of his time looking nauseated and saddened by life and unlife, whereas Wings is a generally awful psycho Van Helsing type who pisses around making video art and being nasty to hookers. Good movie if you still have a couple of Poppy Z Brite paperbacks at the end of your shelf.

THE LIGHTHOUSE – Another good one. By ‘The VVitch’ guy, as a matter of fact. It has Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe as lighthouse keepers stuck on a remote island with nothing much but their own crappy power dynamic to keep them company. Pattinson resents tyrannical Defoe and falls foul of wanktastic hallucinosis involving visions of a mermaid. We witness the battering of a seagull and some things too arcane and confusing to rightly fathom. The atmosphere is one of simmering madness where nothing is revealed with anything like the luminescence of a lighthouse beam… it may sound a bit too easy, but as a monochrome slump into nightmare, it seems genuinely unsettling.

As always ....
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th September 2020, 12:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A few year back I was going to watch a film from every year from my birth year and asked for recommendations, if I remember correctly I didn’t do it because something went wrong in my life and was also thinking about taking time out from here as well, and I also got depression, that’s why I didn’t do it, anyhow this week I remembered all about it and thought why don’t I start from this weekend and do it.
So I decided on a film called the power, it was all about a miniature kinda voodoo doll that posses people who come across it.
I enjoyed so I decided to google and learn a little bit more about the film, turns out it wasn’t a 1968 film it was a 1984 film called the power, so that’s why i haven’t posted it on the thread that I was going to do my reviews in.

It’s a 80s low-cost independent horror, very atmospherical and dark tonne With a great sound track that’s helps give that creepiness and atmosphere to it.
There isn’t much action or many deaths but that doesn’t stop you from being drawn in and keeps you interested, it a cheaply made film with a bit of dodgy fx towards the end but that doesn’t stop the charm and appeal it has to it .
Old 13th September 2020, 12:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
A few year back I was going to watch a film from every year from my birth year and asked for recommendations, if I remember correctly I didn’t do it because something went wrong in my life and was also thinking about taking time out from here as well, and I also got depression, that’s why I didn’t do it, anyhow this week I remembered all about it and thought why don’t I start from this weekend and do it.
So I decided on a film called the power, it was all about a miniature kinda voodoo doll that posses people who come across it.
I enjoyed so I decided to google mad learn a little bit more about the film, turns out it wasn’t a 1968 film it was a 1984 film called the power, so that’s why i haven’t posted it on the thread that I was going to do my reviews in.

It’s a 80s low-cost independent horror, very atmospherical and dark tonne With a great sound track that’s helps give that creepiness and atmosphere to it.
There isn’t much action or many deaths but that doesn’t stop you from being drawn in and keeps you interested, it a cheaply made film with a bit of dodgy fx towards the end but that doesn’t stop the charm and appeal it has to it .
Cover me intrigued with this one gag sounds like a decent one.
Old 13th September 2020, 12:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Cover me intrigued with this one gag sounds like a decent one.
Here the trailer for it .

MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!