All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2020, 10:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
You watched Transylvania 6-5000...now that is sick...
I did fell a bit funny but then seeing Geena Davis like this my temperature did go up a bit more
Old 20th September 2020, 12:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Is it a symptom of Covid watching New York Ripper three time's this year,and again now...I. Do feel queasy....
Lol! I've watched City of the Living Dead thrice in the last fortnight! And NYR is on the stack to be watched! Great taste my friend, I'm low on time in the evenings (work, family etc) so my "to watch" pile grows ever more vast!
Old 20th September 2020, 01:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Lol! I've watched City of the Living Dead thrice in the last fortnight! And NYR is on the stack to be watched! Great taste my friend, I'm low on time in the evenings (work, family etc) so my "to watch" pile grows ever more vast!
Bob from HBTC done it for me last night,I was so hoping that
Dr. Freudstein would finally catch the little vermin and put him and whom ever dubbed the git out of there misery....
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

Old 20th September 2020, 01:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Bob from HBTC done it for me last night,I was so hoping that
Dr. Freudstein would finally catch the little vermin and put him and whom ever dubbed the git out of there misery....
he never does unfortunately no matter how hard you wish
Old 20th September 2020, 05:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

houseby.jpg
Old 20th September 2020, 05:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Pure unadulterated evil, he makes Dennis Nilsen look almost normal....

Old 20th September 2020, 10:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Dire Straits : Alchemy Live (1984) ★★★★½

The way we experience concerts at home has significantly changed over the past 25 years because of technological advances, so the recording of this concert was very limited and, by the standards of a live performance from Madonna, Biffy Clyro, or Foo Fighters in the last couple of years is very pedestrian and orthodox. Additionally, concerts by the biggest artists are much more expensive and immersive experiences nowadays because of the amount of pyrotechnics and displays they tend to incorporate.

All that said, the real star is the music and I've listened to the album countless times since my dad (a former schoolteacher) brought a cassette home of the album which eight people had recorded for him

I'm sure I've seen the concert before, in whole or in part, as the visuals seemed warmly familiar. For me, the standout songs are Romeo & Juliet, Sultans of Swing, Solid Rock, and Going Home (Theme from Local Hero), with the finale being a wonderfully melancholic and jazz inflected variation of the version from the Local Hero soundtrack album.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this and you intend to buy the Blu-ray release for the DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack, HD picture, and to be able to watch it without commercial breaks.
Old 20th September 2020, 10:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) ★★★★★

This film not only incorporates the main title of Hunter S. Thompson's seminal novel, but also, through its cinematography and design, fully embraces the subtitle: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

The rapid tonal shifts, from surreal comedy to horrendous tension, frivolity to nightmarish danger are essential to accurately portray the essence and content of Thompson's text. Based on the interviews and archive footage I've seen and heard with Thompson, Johnny Depp's performance is remarkable, the resemblance is uncanny more with the behaviour and speech than his physiognomy.

It's a remarkable film, a huge accomplishment because it not only brought the book to the screen, but did it in a way which is funny, energetic, uncomfortable, and completely unique.

I'm not surprised it's a film which wasn't a critical or commercial success in 1998 – it's weird and difficult to classify – but it's equally no surprise established a sizeable fan base in the 20+ years since it was released.

I've seen this film many times since I first bought the Criterion Collection DVD and have since bought the Criterion Collection Blu-ray release and now the Arrow Video Blu-ray. Watching it for the first time in several years makes me want to read the book again before I next watch the film.
Old 20th September 2020, 10:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Mystery Men (1999) ★★★½

This is a very well judged superhero spoof film, one with a great cast ((Ben Stiller, William H. Macy, Hank Azaria, Greg Kinnear, Janeane Garofalo, Paul Rubens, Geoffrey Rush, Eddie Izzard, Lena Olin, Clare Forlani, Tom Waits), a very well written and funny screenplay by Neil Cuthbert, and engaging and energetic direction from Kinka Usher.

It neatly pokes fun at superhero tropes, such as the superhero Captain Amazing and his alter ego, Lance Hunt, being identical apart from Hunt wearing glasses and no one suspecting they might be the same person. With the 'gang on a mission' narrative device, it's almost like a spoof on the Avengers films well over a decade before they were made!

I hadn't seen this in about 15 years and had forgotten how much fun it is, so am glad I bought the 88 Films Blu-ray release because it looks and sounds superb.
Old 20th September 2020, 10:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Reborn (2018)

I was told to expect the worst from this low budget horror film but in truth i quite enjoyed it.

Set in and around L.A. it stars Barbara Crampton as a struggling actress going from bit part to bit part all bit ignored by her agent, Rae Dawn Chong, who is more interested in a younger more vibrant (but actually far shitter) actress, whose life becomes more complicated when a girl ( Kayleigh Gilbert) shows up on her doorstep who might have been the stillborn daughter she lost sixteen years earlier. Meanwhile local cop Michael Pare is investigating strange murders involving electricity.

Reborn is acted well enough and i always like Crampton in whatever she does. Certainly the SFX are a bit limited and it isn't remotely scary but it is what it is and that's basically a bargain basement riff on Carrie and Firestarter.

Look out for a cameo by a legendary movie director in the final surprising scene.

Like this? Share it using the links below!