Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2010, 07:48 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
I went to see Toy Story 3 with a mate today. It was as good, no scrap that - it was BETTER than the hype. Simply amazing from start to finish. And trust me you will feel your heart-stings pulling. Pixar has done it again!
Agree with you 100% there Iluv, its a fantastic film. Possibly pixars best?

Did you go 3D?
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Srpski Film: I was high on the hype for this one, so maybe my thoughts are slightly biased to the fact that I was expecting too much. Or not.

I found the first half to drag enormously, as though you are provided with some kind of character development, which is almost laughable in a movie like this. But whilst the second half is a welcome break from the monotomy, it's predictabilty leads only to disappointment. Whilst it's mildly better than some of the similar genre fair, I couldn't help feeling non-plussed by this one. It trys to be cleverer than it is, and is nowhere near as shocking as some of the hype has led to believe.

Good points? The cinematography is pretty damn decent for such a low budget indy flick, plus I was surprisingly into the various musical pieces used throughout. Definitely a film to watch without buying into the hype first, so at least then you can try and form an untarnished opinion.

Long story short: A lot of c*nting around for such little pay-off.
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I loved Toy Story 3 and it's amazing how Pixar can almost make you cry about animated toys! I saw it in plain old 2-D and don't see how it could have been any better in stereoscopic. Pixar's best? I'm not sure as they seem to go from great movie to great movie and I don't think that they have ever made anything that wasn't superb. Even A Bug's Life, which some people don't rate, is, in my opinion, a top rate movie.
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:09 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Due to work I have seen TS 3 in both 2d and 3d and I have to say there's not much difference. The 3d looks a bit sharper and has depth to it. It's not like things are flying out of the screen or anything like that.
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:17 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

I saw it in 3D and it certainly wasn't a gimmicky 3D film with things coming out at you all the time. So seeing it in 2D wouldn't really matter with this film. Mind you I did get to see Toy Stroy (1) in 3D.

As for it being the best - that's a tough call. I couldn't pick which of the three TS films I prefer, though these are Pixars best, IMO. It's incredible how emotional the film was especially (SPOILER!) the scene with the old dog, the first time we see Andy, the scene in the furnace and the finale (end of SPOILERS) but that's probably because we can still connect with the sadness of growing up and the passing of time. It didn't help that I could connect with Andy moving away - going to uni not too long ago.

Did everyone see the opening Pixar short too? That was excellent.
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Srpski Film: nowhere near as shocking as some of the hype has led to believe.
i think hype ruins a lot but i cant think of anything that ive seen as shocking as the two of the scenes in the film, maybe it affects me more cuz i have kids or maybe im turning into a pussy in my old age but them two scenes will haunt me for a long time to come.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

train with thora birch - 6/10 some good gore but story was a bit naff
Old 24th July 2010, 11:09 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Srpski Film: I was high on the hype for this one, so maybe my thoughts are slightly biased to the fact that I was expecting too much. Or not.

I found the first half to drag enormously, as though you are provided with some kind of character development, which is almost laughable in a movie like this. But whilst the second half is a welcome break from the monotomy, it's predictabilty leads only to disappointment. Whilst it's mildly better than some of the similar genre fair, I couldn't help feeling non-plussed by this one. It trys to be cleverer than it is, and is nowhere near as shocking as some of the hype has led to believe.

Good points? The cinematography is pretty damn decent for such a low budget indy flick, plus I was surprisingly into the various musical pieces used throughout. Definitely a film to watch without buying into the hype first, so at least then you can try and form an untarnished opinion.

Long story short: A lot of c*nting around for such little pay-off.
This is exactly my view on the film I couldn't have put it better my self (in fact i didn't)
Old 24th July 2010, 01:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

after watching the abomination that was THE BOUNTY HUNTER, i decided to root out my copy of MIDNIGHT RUN, and the similarities are so obvious, but as usual the original is far superior with DeNiro owning every line of dialogue and Charles Grodin being brilliantly offbeat...
Old 24th July 2010, 01:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think Joe Pantoliano is terrific in Midnight Run and his exchanges with Robert De Niro are absolutely terrific.

Anyway, I watched Paranormal Activity last night and was amazed that it worked so well on a second viewing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!