Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2020, 05:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Murder By Television. 1935.

James Houghland inventor of a new method which Television signals can be sent anywhere, when he refuses to sell his invention he is murdered in a house full of suspects.

Bela Lugosi makes a appearance in a rare non horror role in this murder mystery in a duel role along side Hattie McDonald And Allen Jung as the servants who seem to be on the edge and make a good pair bringing in some comedy moments. The makers did try to make the film more interesting as it does seem like a weak plot but with the acting it makes it more enjoyable even at 53 minutes long it was worth time well spent.

maxresdefault.jpg
Old 28th September 2020, 06:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
While not about Foo Fighters, I would highly recommend the 'Sound City' documentary about the famous music recording studio, directed and presented by Dave Grohl.

I also highly recommend their 'Sonic Highways' TV series doc.
I watched Sonic Highways when it was first broadcast, thought it was superb and have been wanting to own it since then.

I'll check out Sound City – thanks for the recommendation.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Foo Fighters: Guardian Angels (2005) ★★

As an unauthorised documentary without any of the Foo Fighters' music, this needed a unique angle to differentiate it from films made with the band's cooperation and endorsement, such as Foo Fighters: Back and Forth.

Because it has contributions from writers, a musician, Robert Lang, in whose studio the debut album was recorded, and a radio DJ rather than recent contemporaries of the Foo Fighters and former band members, a lot of what is said is opinion and conjecture rather than any definitive details which can't be gleaned from the Wikipedia page. There is a bit of interview footage with Dave Grohl that it looks like something from a press junket because it was recorded when he was at a festival and Alanis Morissette was playing in the background; there is also some other low quality, archive interview footage and audio interviews without much context.

The documentary also looks and sounds cheap, shot in 4:3, with stereo sound and no subtitles, and with fairly unimaginative captions and section breaks. One caption even credits Jordan McLachlan as writing for 'Rythm Magazine', a jarring typo which should have been noticed and corrected before the DVD was released.

I'm glad I only paid £1.99 for this, but still think I was overcharged. Avoid.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 30th September 2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A small Alaskan town which experience darkness for 30 days each night , is over run by vapmpires, the small group of survivors lead by the local sheriff trying to survive .

a tense and gripping vampire film that has some great fire and partial effects. 8.5/10

After being dumped by his girlfriend a wedding singer becomes jaded and bitter but starts to fall in love with a waitress , but she is due too be married. A enjoyable romantic comedy with a great 80s soundtrack . 7.5/10

Jack Walsh ( DeNiro) is bounty Hunter whom is sent to retrieve Jonathan Mardukas a accountant who swindled the mafia out of 50 million , what is suppose to be a midnight run, is anything but easy, he has too deal with the FBI, a rival bounty hunter and the mafia . A great mixture of action and comedy . 9.5/10

Now watching sudden death
Old 28th September 2020, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantom Killer. 1942.

A man known to be a deaf mute is suspected of being a killer and the police and district attorney try to prove he is lying.

A bold remake of the 1930s film called The Sphyx, this version seems to take the darker tone away from the original and tries to add some light humour that can pay off well in some parts and added in at the wrong time. John Hamilton plays the deaf mute while Dick Purcell plays the attorney Clark and Warren Hymer plays Sgt. Corrigan. Joan Woodbury plays the journalist Barbara Mason who may get caught up in it all. This was well acted but tends to slide down and then goes back on track another viewing of this may help me to warm up to it.

phantom.jpg
Old 28th September 2020, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The 9th Guest. 1934.

Eight people are invited to a party in their honour, five men and three women, they are wined and dined then a mysterious voice tells them that before the night is out they will die unless they outwit the 9th guest...death.

This was a nice little murder mystery from the 30s, and good added plot twist as to how the guests were chosen to be there and why someone will go to great lengths to see them all dead, and how manipulation can happen with the guests slowly turning on each other. The acting was played out well, there is no dark atmosphere in this but there is a lot of tension built up as to who the next victim will be. Worth a watch.

9th guest.jpg
Old 29th September 2020, 04:19 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMDJhZjZmNjktN2Q2MS00M2Q5LTgwODctNjNhZDIxM2U0NGMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk5MjAyMjM@._V1_.jpg

A yacht is blown up in the gulf of Mexico sending a fortune and some highly sought after documents to the bottom of the sea. This even causes a mad scramble of treasure hunters from all corners of the planet to rush to get a share of the spoils.

A really fun film so much bad acting the plot is pretty mixed up there is just so much going on people helping each other then stabbing each other in the back then helping each other again it's almost impossible to keep up. The music is bloody terrible the whole way through i'd actually go as far as to say it starts to get pretty annoying. The action is over the top and ridiculous first off is the guy parasailing about the place throwing grenades and stabbing people around the beach and when there is a chase and shootout in a quarry there is a conveniently placed shed with explosives written across the front of it in big giant letters and yes you guessed it a car crashes into it causing cartoon like explosions The end caught me a little off guard its completely ridiculous with more laughing in one scene than a spaghetti western marathon.

Film is a blast honestly it had me laughing my ass off out loud a lot. Stupid FFFFUUUUUUUNNNNNNN

8/10
Old 29th September 2020, 04:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Looks bloody awful
Nordicdusk likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 29th September 2020, 05:10 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Looks bloody awful
It is but it gave me 90 minutes of laughing so thats why it scored so high.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 29th September 2020, 05:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
I really like The Meg. It’s one of my 4 year old’s favourite films and she’s asks to watch it pretty regularly, as 4 year olds tend to do! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Took my son to see this when he was 4, LOVED IT (along with Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom), classic stuff!

Like this? Share it using the links below!