Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2020, 06:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sherlock Holmes Faces Death. 1943.

Dr.Watson volunteered his services at a convalescent house during WWII, when murders start to happen he summons Holmes to investigate where the staff and patients are under investigation.

This is one of the good numbers of Holmes movies with Rathbone and Bruce as the duo that was intriguing to watch that even i was on the edge of my seat to see who the culprit was and how Holmes was able to deduce the how the murders were done. Dennis Hoey appears as Inspector Lestrade who Holmes seems to make fun of and have a laugh with. It does have the spooky manor in the middle of nowhere with a few nice lightning shots that gives the area it's dark gloomy look.

Faces death.jpg
Old 29th September 2020, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's easily one of my favourites is that one
MrBarlow likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th September 2020, 07:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
It's easily one of my favourites is that one
TBH I never really appreciated Sherlock Holmes movies but now i'm loving them
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sherlock Holmes In Terror By Night. 1946.

When the Star of Rhodesia diamond is stolen on a train from London to Edinburgh and the son of the owner is murdered, Sherlock Holmes believes the culprit is one of his fellow passengers.

This one I have seen a few times and it's a lot better than the first viewing, Instead of being in a house the story sets on a train filled with more people and more of a challenge for Holmes as to who the murderer is and more places for the culprit to hide but can't evade the master detective,to the eventual plot twist climax, even at 60 minutes long it is at a steady pace where it never gets boring just more enjoyable.

terror by.jpg
Old 29th September 2020, 09:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
TBH I never really appreciated Sherlock Holmes movies but now i'm loving them
Have you seen the series with Jeremy Brett?

That's what got me into Holmes, then the more recent Sherlock as well. Even if it is wildly different to classic Sherlock Holmes it's still highly entertaining.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen the series with Jeremy Brett?

That's what got me into Holmes, then the more recent Sherlock as well. Even if it is wildly different to classic Sherlock Holmes it's still highly entertaining.
Seen some of his episodes and really enjoyed them, it's only been past year i took a fascination to the Holmes books and films.
Old 29th September 2020, 10:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Elementary > Sherlock.
Old 29th September 2020, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Seen some of his episodes and really enjoyed them, it's only been past year i took a fascination to the Holmes books and films.
You can usually get the box set for around twenty quid in Amazon's Black Friday deals. Well worth it.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 29th September 2020, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanks for that will certainly have a look for them
Old 29th September 2020, 10:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Flawless (2007) ★★★½

An interesting, though unspectacular, heist movie which is notable for a fine performance from Michael Caine and a fairly engaging and suspenseful plot.

I don't think it will ever be put on the same level as Rififi, The Killing, or The League of Gentlemen, which it explicitly references by including it in an early (and crucial) scene. Because of the narrative device – it's told in flashback by Laura (Demi Moore), I never felt that she was in any danger, thus removing that opportunity for suspense from the film altogether.

That said, it's a film I enjoyed watching and trying to decode before events were explained to the audience, and only time will tell as to how it stands up to repeated viewings when I know the how and why of the central mystery.

The commentary by director Michael Radford is good because he is an engaging speaker and is surprisingly honest about the film, not shying away from the budgetary limitations on such things as make-up for the old Laura (it's obvious Demi Moore is wearing thick make-up!) or the wig which Moore wears for most of the film changing shape.

He talks about locations and people, lighting and sets, providing a a lot of detail about the shoot and those he worked with, including Demi Moore's unintelligible handwriting, Michael Caine's professionalism, and Ashton Kutcher (Demi Moore's husband at the time) being surprisingly grown-up and easy to get on with.

Like this? Share it using the links below!