Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2020, 02:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Fifth Cord (1971) ★★★★½

Released the year after Dario Argento's groundbreaking The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, this checks all the boxes for the giallo template: a mysterious killer on the loose; black leather gloves; J&B whisky; an informal detective; mistaken identity.

With a brilliant lead performance from Franco Nero, who superbly plays the barely-functioning alcoholic journalist who is on the case (and then on the trail) of the mass murderer taunting the authorities and threatening people around Rome with a murder every Tuesday, this is a very special film.

Based on a novel by David McDonald Devine, this is a brilliantly written and engrossing giallo, a film with a very good story and characters (although he's a journalist rather than a PI, Andrea Bild isn't too dissimilar to detectives like The Long Goodbye's Philip Marlowe), and stunning cinematography by Vittorio Storaro – this is probably the most intelligently designed and filmed giallo I've ever seen, and that includes those by Dario Argento. As well as the superb visuals, this has a brilliantly moody and suspenseful soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. It's a film where Luigi Bazzoni, the director who would go on to make the brilliant Footprints on the Moon, is a master of mise-en-scène – this is a film which could be part of a film studies syllabus at university and is one I don't think I fully appreciated what I saw it a decade ago.

It's another film which I'll put to one side and rewatch with the other language track; I watched it this time with the Italian track and want to see what it's like with the English audio.
Mojo, Demoncrat, zeroid and 8 others like this.
Old 4th October 2020, 07:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Uwantme2kill him

I enjoyed this based on a true story, how much I don’t know.

Teanager John becomes friends with several people online, he falls in love with one but she can’t be friends because she on the witness protection act, her boyfriend finds out and threatens to kill John, she then dies but he convinced her boyfriend killed her, she wanted John to be friends with her brother because he gets bullied and is lonely, john wants to kill her boyfriend but another women who works for mi5 warns him he dangerous and to stay away From him, and wants him to concentrate on killing his friend because his stepdad a terrorist and his friend is planning a school massacre,

SPOILER:

——————

Turns out none of it was true and his friend was the one being all these different people and he wanted to be friends with John, and was lonely and wanted to commit suicide and that’s why he got John to kill him .
He survives because John eventually phones a ambulance .

I actually liked this very well made the style and tonne made you feel for the characters and you could feel the tension at times, recommended .

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 4th October 2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Old 5th October 2020, 06:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

My Bloody Valentine commentary (dull) & cast reunion panel (zzzzzzz.......)

Think I'll stick to the great movie!
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th October 2020, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Tried to watch Magnolia after many years. Didn't like it then, and now it's even worse! A self indulgant attempt at "clever" which just folds under the weight of it's own ego.

Loved Boogie Nights & There Will Be Blood but seriously, Magnolia is awful beyond words. Avoid, lots of "actors" trying to get awards by playing flawed people instead of perfection.
Avoid.

1/10
Old 7th October 2020, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Caller (1987, Arthur Allan Siedelman)

Two hander with Malcolm McDowell and Madolyn Smith. An odd wee beast. A crime seems to have been committed, but whom by?? Recommended??? Hmmm.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th October 2020, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Has anyone seen this? Happy Halloween, Scooby Doo!

And is it any good? Amazon reviewers seem to love it but i don't really trust them. Apparently Elvira's in it and it also crosses into D.C. territory too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81B-LSiKbYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (94.2 KB, 3 views)
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 7th October 2020, 10:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Has anyone seen this? Happy Halloween, Scooby Doo!

And is it any good? Amazon reviewers seem to love it but i don't really trust them. Apparently Elvira's in it and it also crosses into D.C. territory too.
I got it to watch for my list so may watch it tomorrow and i will let you know how it is
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th October 2020, 05:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Happy Halloween Scooby-Doo. 2020.

Mystery Inc are in Crystal Cove celebrating Halloween, when toxic ooze spills onto a pumpkin patch which turns them monstrous, they find help with Bill Nye, Elvira and a unlikely foe with Dr. Johnathan Crane aka Scarecrow who escaped from Arkham Asylum.

This was in fact decent and being a Scooby-Doo fan growing up I gave this a bash, the last full length feature movies did go down hill a little bit but you don't watch it you never know if you like it or not, Frank Welker returns as Fred/Scooby and Mathew Lillard as Shaggy with Cassandra Peterson and Bill Nye and Dwight Schultz as Scarecrow. Fun and enjoyable for all, worth a watch.

halloween-scooby-doo.jpg
Old 9th October 2020, 12:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hate Crime (2012, Jason Cullen Bressack)

Well, I finallly got to see it. A home invasion in the middle of a celebration? Hmmm, where have I seen that before now?
No, originality isn't the thing in spades here ..... though shying away from just that laaaast shred of all out unpleasantness, it's easily the most horrible film I've watched since that Mummy thingy. Maybe I am finally getting too old for these things? Ahem.
Great double bill with Megan Is Missing imho.
Next .... a Carry On (honest! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HC.jpg (32.0 KB, 2 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th October 2020, 08:57 PM
Active Cultist

That poster, the nazi arm band was added on Microsoft Paint?

On topic:

I watched the remake ages ago, and of course it's a cult classic. But this one it's very entertaining, the special effects are well done, and the story its engaging, and ofc it's always a pleasure to see Mr. Price in a movie.

This one is a little boring, spends the 1st 40 minutes almost doing exactly the same from the 1st movie so you can easily jump forward and watched the last 25m, I will say the Fly on this one it's not great, that head will haunt me for life

Next: Curse of the Fly (bought a boxset with the 5 movies maybe 4 years ago in a cex shop, forgot about until yesterday when I was re organizing my shelves.. )

Like this? Share it using the links below!