Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179427Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2020, 04:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Better laterish than never in my book, enjoy, Curse is an odd wee thing, Great double bill with Invasion

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th October 2020, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Steve Carrell plays an ego-centric magician who looses everything but makes a comeback along with his partner Steve Buscemi and Assistant Olivia Wilde. Jim Carrey also stars as a completely insane rival. One of those 15 rated Comedy Movies that Warner brothers have been releasing, it is also one that is overlooked and under-rated. It is rather enjoyable.

Beethoven

Classic Family Film in which a rather large St. Bernard is taken in by a grumpy/reluctant Charles Grodin and his family. Dean Jones plays an evil Vet who has a sideline in Animal Experiments. This film also has before they were famous roles for David Duchovny, Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Jim Carrey plays the title role who has to find the Mascot of the Miami Dolphins which has been stolen. Courtney Cox co-stars. I bought this in the January Sales back in 1996 (I think) for 6.99 (Which was a bargain back then) and I loved it, whilst still good in places, I found Ventura to be a rather annoying juvenile character.

Love Actually

Modern Classic Xmas Film which follows several storylines on the run up to Xmas in London. Saw this film many times at the Cinema, it's still great but didn't really need the Martin Freeman or Keira Knightly storylines.

Beethoven's 2nd

Beethoven finds a mate and ends up fathering Puppies. The owner of the mother of the Puppies wants to sell them but Charles Grodin's family ends up looking after them. I found this to be better than the 1st film, unfortunately this series fell into Straight To Video/DVD Hell after this.

Bloodsport

One of my earliest VHS purchases and one of my favorite films of all time sees Jean Claude-Van Damme enter a Martial Arts Tournament. Great film, great fight scenes and a under-rated soundtrack. It also has the bonus of Oscar Winning Actor Forest Whitiker in it.

This needs a Blu-Ray release with tons of extras, hopefully 88 or Arrow do it but knowing my luck, it'll be part of the HMV Premium Collection where it'll only have the trailer and poster.

Crank 2: High Voltage

Jason Statham returns and this time his Heart is stolen and replaced by a mechanical one that needs to be constantly charged. A rather crazy film which is still a decent watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibw.jpg (13.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (14.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg avpd.jpg (13.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg b2nd.jpg (13.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bs.jpg (13.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c2hv.jpg (13.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg la.jpg (14.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th October 2020, 01:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Beyond (Shameless blu)

The late, great (and I must emphasise GREAT) Lucio's masterpiece, dreamlike, terrifying & full of pace and action.
Strange comparison but it's like his Suspiria.

Watched the Shameless disc, really don't like the artwork & the disc was upside down (ie: playable side facing up) when I opened it! The print is ok & the extras (commentaries etc) good, but just makes me want to watch the film over & over.

The Citizen Kane of Italian Horror Cinema!

10/10
Old 11th October 2020, 07:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ernest Scared Stupid. 1991.

Ernest P. Worrell's descendants buried a hideous troll under a tree in the town of Briarville, years later Ernest accidentally releases the troll and has to find a way to destroy it.

I will admit, the Ernest movies will never be academy award winning movies, as they seem daft, stupid but then they appeal to my sense of humour, Jim Varney stars as the sanitation worker Ernest who unleashes a terror and with the help of the local kids and hermit lady played by Eartha Kitt tries to put a stop to it. The costumes designs for the trolls look daft but look at the title they are guaranteed to make you laugh.

did_21473_270.jpeg
Old 15th October 2020, 05:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tbh I’ve only seen about 2 films in over a month at the moment, just been busy and playing gone days and some missions are pissing me off cos I’m struggling to do them , and fact it’s a foooking huge game as well, I’ve played around 20 plus and still not even half way through .
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:31 PM
Cult Addict

I've given up on quite a few games because they are too long these days, yeah you get you're moneys worth if you're hardcore, but i've got the attention span of a Gnat.

Still haven't finished the first Red dead redemption even though i was enjoying the game, pretty sure it kept telling you you had to find some guy and do something.

I remember doing that and it turned around and said now do this and i was like **** this shit, i didn't sign up for that.

Also never finished Mass effect 2.

Lately i've played Conan and No man's sky and got to a point where i'm a good way in and just bailed out through a mix of fatigue and existential tedium.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 15th October 2020, 09:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I've given up on quite a few games because they are too long these days, yeah you get you're moneys worth if you're hardcore, but i've got the attention span of a Gnat.

Still haven't finished the first Red dead redemption even though i was enjoying the game, pretty sure it kept telling you you had to find some guy and do something.

I remember doing that and it turned around and said now do this and i was like **** this shit, i didn't sign up for that.

Also never finished Mass effect 2.

Lately i've played Conan and No man's sky and got to a point where i'm a good way in and just bailed out through a mix of fatigue and existential tedium.
They could shorten it and still be a long game, just a lot of it more or less exactly the same just different part of the map.
Go here and do so and so
Then come back and go so and so and do exactly same thing, but repetitive at times but still otherwise a good and decent game.
Old 15th October 2020, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cyborg Cop 2 (1994, Sam Firstenberg)

David Bradleys his way through this mayhem fest the best he can. A sworn foe is let loose with bits added on, as is the way of this world haha, so it's up to Jack Ryan (COUGH) to defeat his nemesis with whatever comes to hand.
Glorious and camp and violent all at the same time, I cannot wait for the 3rd to come into my orbit (fingers crossed it's set in space )

RECOMMENDED.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th October 2020, 09:36 PM
Active Cultist

Imagine The Thing with a global warming message and you have Thaw, nice low budget movie, probably spend all the money to hire Val Kilmer to have 5 minutes on the screen. Nice gore & effects. Recommend.

P.S. My other half is making me watch the Twilight Saga, but I got a sweet deal, after this she needs to watch the complete franchise of the Friday 13th
Old 15th October 2020, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post

Imagine The Thing with a global warming message and you have Thaw, nice low budget movie, probably spend all the money to hire Val Kilmer to have 5 minutes on the screen. Nice gore & effects. Recommend.

P.S. My other half is making me watch the Twilight Saga, but I got a sweet deal, after this she needs to watch the complete franchise of the Friday 13th

you can't grumble at that sweet deal
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!