Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2020, 07:16 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

conquest1.jpg

Ilias and Mace go on a boys jolly up across the countryside stealing peoples dinner getting everyone the befriend killed and murdering an army of Wolf men just for kicks.

Im unsure of the story to be honest but there is plenty of naked ladies gore at every turn and a faceless woman that keeps masterbating with two snakes. Why weren't the jolly ups i went on in my younger days like this

It has Fulci written all over it the slightest touch and peoples guts are exploding out of them. Blood guts brains and buckets of puss awesome. Would like to see a blu ray of this parts of the amazon prime version were hard to make out its was either too dark or too blurry.

Just a real fun little adventure

7/10
Old 25th October 2020, 07:38 PM
Cult Addict

I'm pretty sure i've got dvd and it's still blurry as feck, think he borrowed the camera's from Jess Franco as it had lube all over the lenses.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 25th October 2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 25th October 2020, 10:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Evil Dead Trap

Watched this for the first time tonight, after wanting to see it for years. I remember stills & video covers in all the fanzines in the 90's, and lots of reviews in Japanese cinema mags.

A news reporter struggling for content invites viewers to send in tapes she can air. She receives what looks like a snuff film which shows the route to the warehouse where it was filmed. Gathering a team from her station, she sets off to find the location of the murder. Once there, things get REALLY nasty!

Often, Japanese cinema goes in waves, but this is hard to categorise. Fast paced but still very atmospheric, too dark in places but some shots were so beautifully lit they had me thinking of Suspiria. The violence & gore are very extreme, some of the best FX I've seen. It's a solid movie, and something the makers of Saw must have seen.

8/10
Old 25th October 2020, 10:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 228878

Ilias and Mace go on a boys jolly up across the countryside stealing peoples dinner getting everyone the befriend killed and murdering an army of Wolf men just for kicks.

Im unsure of the story to be honest but there is plenty of naked ladies gore at every turn and a faceless woman that keeps masterbating with two snakes. Why weren't the jolly ups i went on in my younger days like this

It has Fulci written all over it the slightest touch and peoples guts are exploding out of them. Blood guts brains and buckets of puss awesome. Would like to see a blu ray of this parts of the amazon prime version were hard to make out its was either too dark or too blurry.

Just a real fun little adventure

7/10
Code Red did a blu, i got one from wowhd a while back for £21. Like everything now, don't know if its still in print.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...e-red-blu-ray/

Diabolik have it
Old 26th October 2020, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'Kolobos', via the Arrow blu. Pretty disappointing, was expecting more I must admit. 'My Little Eye' and 'Dead Set' are the gold standard for this type of thing, and this fell well short. Still, good to see such unknown films get decent releases.
Old 27th October 2020, 02:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Brothers Rico (1957)

Working my way through the Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics sets (Indicator will no doubt release the lot on blu in the end), and currently watching this fast moving gem about someone trying to leave mob life behind him & lead a straight life. Needless to say, every time he thinks he's out, they pull him back in. Today's film makers could learn a lot about pacing from these older films, they move so fast!

If a scene doesn't move the plot forward, take it out of the script! Too many of today's films have lots of standing, staring, thinking which some people think is emotion bit seriously, if your script & your actor is good, emotional complexity doesn't require the luxury of a character study to get it across to the audience.

Solid film, and just one side note: Richard Conte: AMAZING! First became aware of him in The Big Combo, just watched Call Northside 777 & he's the polar opposite. And now he's in The Brothers Rico. Amazing actor, will hopefully be seeing him a lot mre in my noir adventure.
Old 27th October 2020, 03:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Richard Conte: AMAZING! First became aware of him in The Big Combo, just watched Call Northside 777 & he's the polar opposite. And now he's in The Brothers Rico. Amazing actor, will hopefully be seeing him a lot mre in my noir adventure.
Funnily enough i first became aware of Richard Conte back in the 00's when watching Italian Poliziotteschi such as The Violent Professionals, Big Guns and The Boss. It was only after that i discovered his Hollywood work.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 28th October 2020, 01:45 PM
Cult Master

1080.jpg

This was supposed to me my pick for todays unseen horror but it doesn't fit criteria so here we are.

When a stripped is found tied up in a park by undercover cops they are too late to stop her attacker killing her. With their failure to stop the murder they both feel personally invested into solving the case. The female cop enters a stripper competition to try and get a job at the same clubs the murdered girl worked at. A fews nights into the job and she feels attached to the other girls in the club and wants to stop any harm coming to the rest of them but the bodies start to pile up. In this sort of life there are no end of sleazy suspects that hang around the club so finding a suspect will not be easy.

I expected much more from this i get it that it's about strippers but it just felt like a stripper video with the story thrown in at the end just to justify all the dancing. I always appreciate boobs but when it gets in the way of the film itself I'm not a fan. There isn't even a real balance i mean the stripping goes on and on some times two or three scenes together showing the different girls routines and then a ten minute story scene then back to someone stripping even during the final showdown they keep cutting back to strippers.

It could of been great strong acting interesting story great 80s vibe but honestly all the dancing just got boring.
Old 28th October 2020, 01:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 228926

This was supposed to me my pick for todays unseen horror but it doesn't fit criteria so here we are.

When a stripped is found tied up in a park by undercover cops they are too late to stop her attacker killing her. With their failure to stop the murder they both feel personally invested into solving the case. The female cop enters a stripper competition to try and get a job at the same clubs the murdered girl worked at. A fews nights into the job and she feels attached to the other girls in the club and wants to stop any harm coming to the rest of them but the bodies start to pile up. In this sort of life there are no end of sleazy suspects that hang around the club so finding a suspect will not be easy.

I expected much more from this i get it that it's about strippers but it just felt like a stripper video with the story thrown in at the end just to justify all the dancing. I always appreciate boobs but when it gets in the way of the film itself I'm not a fan. There isn't even a real balance i mean the stripping goes on and on some times two or three scenes together showing the different girls routines and then a ten minute story scene then back to someone stripping even during the final showdown they keep cutting back to strippers.

It could of been great strong acting interesting story great 80s vibe but honestly all the dancing just got boring.
I agree. I've no idea how they managed to make this film so boring. It's virtually impossible but somehow they managed it.
Old 28th October 2020, 06:09 PM
Cult Master

Martial_law_1991_poster.jpg

A cop known as Marshal Law teams up with his undercover cop girlfriend to stop a gang of car theives and drug dealers run by Martial Artist Dalton Rhodes. This is far from a routine case when Marshal Law or Sean find out his younger brother is in the gang. Torn between his job and his family Sean struggles to keep his brother out of prison and keep him alive.

Cynthia Rothrock and Chad McQueen bounce off each other on the lead roles really well. The fight scenes are fast paced and when the are fighting side by side it has a real natural rhythm. Aside from the fight scenes there is a good story yes its predicable and clichéd but its still an enjoyable watch. As usual David Carradine is awesome as the bad guy he doesn't even have to do much he just has that glint in his eye and anything can happen at anytime and armed with a one hit punch that can kill a man on the spot the danger is even worse.

Recommended.

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!