Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2020, 08:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BMTc0MDg2NzMxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjQ3MDU1NjE@._V1_.jpg

After mourners at a funeral are all gunned down all of which are Russian immigrants. The Russian community falls into silence fearing repercussions from a violent gang leader who is using a gang of teens called the little wolves to intimidate people into not talking to the cops. Jack Reed and his partner head up the investigation to get to the bottom of a few missing people linked with the gang. Meanwhile the son of a prominent member of the black community who is running for mayor kills a woman while drunk driving is about to go to jail for a long time but his fathers team try to blackmail the chief of police to save the campaign and keep the news out of the papers.

I have always been a big fan of Brian Dennehy and given the fact these are made for TV movies that doesn't dilute his always great performances. This was a really good cop drama with many recognisable faces present and all giving great performances to the point that you completely forget that its a TV movie. I saw these films years ago when i was a teen i do remember enjoying them then and im looking forward to revisiting a few more of them.

Might not be for everyone but it was a solid cop drama for me.

7/10
Old 28th October 2020, 08:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 228935

After mourners at a funeral are all gunned down all of which are Russian immigrants. The Russian community falls into silence fearing repercussions from a violent gang leader who is using a gang of teens called the little wolves to intimidate people into not talking to the cops. Jack Reed and his partner head up the investigation to get to the bottom of a few missing people linked with the gang. Meanwhile the son of a prominent member of the black community who is running for mayor kills a woman while drunk driving is about to go to jail for a long time but his fathers team try to blackmail the chief of police to save the campaign and keep the news out of the papers.

I have always been a big fan of Brian Dennehy and given the fact these are made for TV movies that doesn't dilute his always great performances. This was a really good cop drama with many recognisable faces present and all giving great performances to the point that you completely forget that its a TV movie. I saw these films years ago when i was a teen i do remember enjoying them then and im looking forward to revisiting a few more of them.

Might not be for everyone but it was a solid cop drama for me.

7/10
Anything with Brian Dennehy in it is guaranteed to be good
Old 29th October 2020, 11:44 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

REPLICANT
Van Damme does Rain Man 😂

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th October 2020, 04:56 PM
Cult Master

41Kt84lGbZL.jpg

Investigating a random drive by in broad light Jack and his partner discover this is not random at all and the victim has a hit out on her. Jack and his wife take her into their home after a second attempt is made on her life. The further they dig the more dangerous this case gets dirty politicians crooked judges maybe this time Jack has stumbled into more than he can handle it may just cost him his job.

These films are as enjoyable as i remember all round great performances from everyone involved and i really like the little touch of humour between Jack and his family. This film was about a real case which makes it even better.

7/10
Old 30th October 2020, 08:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'Southern Comfort', via the Second Sight blu.
One of my absolute favourites from my teens/vhs days, even the cover stirs certain emotions - was one of my late dad's favourites as well and he introduced it to my brother and I back in the vhs rental days.
My emotional attachment aside, this still stands as a great film in my opinion. Reminds me a lot of The Thing - group of men, hostile location, mostly unseen enemy.
I know a lot see it as a Deliverance rip off, but I think it's a better film than Deliverance. Much better.
Bluray looked great, to my untrained eye. In fact, apart from a couple of brief scenes, I thought it looked amazing.
I can't fault the film, so 5/5 from me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201031_083807.jpg (89.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st November 2020, 02:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blast. 1997.

Atlanta aquatic games stadium, a female swimming team is held hostage, Interpol and F.B.I. try to rescue the team while a janitor who was a martial artist tries to take down the terrorists.

The plot of the story sounds like a Steven Seagal film except he isn't it but Linden Ashby is (yeah the guy from Mortal Kombat) who isn't that bad for a lead actor, Rutger Hauer plays Interpol's best man Leo who wants revenge on the terrorist, Tim Thomerson plays the chief of police. Andrew Divoff plays the terrorist Omodo hell bent on creating fear and panic amongst the world. The film does start of a bit slow but does get better even with Albert Pyun as director it is decent for a action movie.

MV5BMTk0NzgyNTk3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTkyMTkxMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 1st November 2020, 03:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

This will very probably be a contrarian viewpoint as everyone else seems to absolutely love this film.

Yeah, it's a great meta concept by Wes Craven but actually quite a dodgy movie. This is a Nightmare On Elm Street sequel where you hardly ever see Freddy and when you do see him, the character re-design looks like complete balls.

The child is annoying as heck and gives a notably poor performance (and you do see much of him). Certainly worth mentioning that John Saxon gives another excellent performance but he can't save it on his own.

Rather frustratingly, elsewhere I've often read people pretty much raving about New Nightmare whilst shitting all over Freddy vs Jason (which I think is far superior to this).
Old 1st November 2020, 04:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

This will very probably be a contrarian viewpoint as everyone else seems to absolutely love this film.

Yeah, it's a great meta concept by Wes Craven but actually quite a dodgy movie. This is a Nightmare On Elm Street sequel where you hardly ever see Freddy and when you do see him, the character re-design looks like complete balls.

The child is annoying as heck and gives a notably poor performance (and you do see much of him). Certainly worth mentioning that John Saxon gives another excellent performance but he can't save it on his own.

Rather frustratingly, elsewhere I've often read people pretty much raving about New Nightmare whilst shitting all over Freddy vs Jason (which I think is far superior to this).
I never warmed to New Nightmare.

For my money, it was a test un for Scream with lots of "film maker angst" thrown into the mix. I like the performances & the new Freddy makeup, but find the film itself very boring.

Give me part 1 & 3 any time.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 1st November 2020, 04:12 PM
Cult Veteran

The Prestige (2006)

It feels strange not watching a horror film, I'm too worn out to review this, but this was the first time I've watched it since 2006 so I pretty much forgot everything that happens, then Christian Bale's character said something to his assistant and it all came flashing back to me. Fantastic film!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st November 2020, 05:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hunt For Red October. 1990.

Marko Ramius is captain of the U.S.S.R. newst submarine Red October, he defies his orders and head to America where the Russians think he is about to declare war. C.I.A. analyst Jack Ryan believes he is going to America to defect while the Russians have sent out another submarine to stop Ramius.

Based on the Tom Clancy novel and set within 1984 during Russians playing war games, this is quite a intense thriller built up with a Captain who is keeping secrets from part his crew and analyst who seems to think the same as the Captain to defect. Sean Connery plays Ramius with his normal speaking voice even though he does speak the Russian native language at the start and Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan who seems to be second guessing in a game of chess. John McTiernan done a decent directing job with this and nice cinematography.

the-hunt-for-red-october.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!