Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'Underwater'.
I thought 'just go with it, enjoy it for what it is'...but, I couldn't. The type of film that really pisses me off - decent budget, some really good actors, but a terrible plot, that 'borrows' from all the usual suspects. Just lazy, seen it all before, crap.
1/5.
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Hell..

The Legend Of Hell House..(1973).
Well I had every intention of watching the Blu Ray of Ghostbusters ( who you gonna call?Ray Parker Jnr must be rolling around on a bed of money since that got released...blimey I was still at school when that came out cripes), any who I got side tracked forgot what I was going to watch and ended up watching something very similar to Ghostbusters,but with added ectoplasm...I'll start by saying while I do love Robert Wise's The Haunting (1963),especially Robert Johnson's stiff upper lipped Dr Markway and Russ Tamblyns cool hip cat,I have always much preferred John Hough's The Legend of Hell House a lot more...I think this has a lot to do with Roddy McDowell's geeky looking Ben Fischer character, and his milk bottle glasses... and while Clive Refill is no Richard Johnson,he does have a bloody great machine that can suck the ghostly energy out of the Belasco House (so not that different to Ghostbusters after all)...And let's not forget Pamela Franklin as the highly strung cat hating spiritualist...Of course compared to today's unstoppable tide of ghost movie's its all fairly tame stuff,but its quirky and has that feeling of impending doom (we're doomed) and has a fairly unsettling conclusion as Belasco is finally revealed at the end,although it does remind me of the Wizard of Oz reveal...

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 3rd November 2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House of Mystery. 1934.

A ancient curse is put onto a man who was adventurer who killed a monkey and seems tormented by a killer ape in a old house.

One of the old dark house movies that at 60 odd minutes didnt peak my expectations but kept me interested to a degree and kept me quiet . The film didn't drag on as the acting was entertaining with some little comedic moments, it's always a laugh to see a old house with some sort of weird killer on the loose and the build up to the finale that we know what will happen half way through.

House-of-mystery-movie-poster-md.jpg
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A movie that flopped big time and nearly killed Dan Aykroyds career.

He he plays a uptight and repressed literary professor, who ends up protecting four hookers because of some weird sense of chivalry, from the evil mom , so he takes on the alter ego of Doctor Detroit a partial robotic ,superfly pimp.

Aykroyds performance of the doctor has to be seen to be believed. There are plot holes the size of a truck , it gets more and more silly as the film goes on, but it was a lot of fun. 6.5/10

Up tonight.

Last edited by trebor8273; 3rd November 2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:43 PM
Ex-member

Default Monty Python

I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail recently. It was a pleasing watch and it definitely had me cracking up!
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'Underwater'.
I thought 'just go with it, enjoy it for what it is'...but, I couldn't. The type of film that really pisses me off - decent budget, some really good actors, but a terrible plot, that 'borrows' from all the usual suspects. Just lazy, seen it all before, crap.
1/5.
Completely agree! Watched with the wife & we were just confused. Nothing is explained, just straight into the "story", and then it felt as if it was missing a load of scenes which link the plot.
Was also hoping for some Cthulhu-type monsters but they did the whole "murky" thing & neglected to show anything properly.

Avoid!
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukantokin View Post
I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail recently. It was a pleasing watch and it definitely had me cracking up!
Love this film and life of Brian never fail to make me chuckle.
Rank high up there amongst greatest comedies of all time.
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th November 2020, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fist of Honor. 1993.

A debt collector and boxer gets caught up in a feud between two rival mafia families and tries to find out who set him up.

This isn't a blockbuster success, even having Flash Gordon in the tile lead who is a street brawler boxer and heavy man who when challenged...he fights, them fighting words. Abe Vigoda and Harry Guardino play the heads of the families in truce until one breaks the truce and wants everything. It does have the typical American accent trying to do part Italian hard men. The plot does go a bit weak along the way and then gets a bit better but the fight scenes do make up for it in some ways.

51edvfrwgNL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Old 4th November 2020, 09:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Johnny Guitar (1954)

What a film!
Honestly, it's so good. First of all, it looks amazing, glorious colours, great sets & Joan Crawford! Secondly, some of those scenes were so tense. It's perfectly directed and acted. The first and final acts had me on the edge of my seat. I loved this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th November 2020, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Haunting. 1999.

A study in insomnia becomes a study of fear when a professor asks people to join him in a reclusive mansion that may be haunted.

Aside from having a good star cast from Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Lili Tyler and Owen Wilson, this film has no hold over the original, the original was more darker and suspenseful that toyed with the brain as was the house actually haunted where this is a haunted house with a daft twist at the end. Only reason I watched it is because Angie loves this better than the original and because I put her through some movies during Octoberfest. Will give the premium BD release some good credit though, the picture quality is better and more colourful and the sound is way better, it does have a eerie gothic type background score.

ckvah-JCP1FBWTK1R-Full-Image_GalleryCover-en-US-1599829879989._UY500_UX667_RI_V359a0a358a6b2d3b8.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!