Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179625Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2020, 05:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019)

Listening to Satyricon's Fuel For Hatred at full blast driving along the motorway today was a hell of a lot more fun than this Fast and Furious parody could ever be.
Old 5th November 2020, 06:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I loved it personally ...

Milk Money (1994, Richard Benjamin)

Hollywood. They have some funny ideas, mainly cocaine based I've found. Like this one ....
Melanie Griffith is a prozzie. Some high schoolers "adopt" her
McDowell is her Cockernee pimp.
Ed Harris is the parent of one the kids.
Utter mush. But I laughed. At points.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th November 2020, 07:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I loved it personally ...

Milk Money (1994, Richard Benjamin)

Hollywood. They have some funny ideas, mainly cocaine based I've found. Like this one ....
Melanie Griffith is a prozzie. Some high schoolers "adopt" her
McDowell is her Cockernee pimp.
Ed Harris is the parent of one the kids.
Utter mush. But I laughed. At points.
I'd prefer to watch Mel in Milk Money any day over Hobbs and Shaw.

Not sure how they messed it up so badly because i love them in the main franchise.
Old 5th November 2020, 08:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'd prefer to watch Mel in Milk Money any day over Hobbs and Shaw.

Not sure how they messed it up so badly because i love them in the main franchise.
Think it had to do with Mr Johnson going off on his own and not having proper backing from Vin Diesel and having a way too much creative control
Old 5th November 2020, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Killer Crocodile. 1989.

When toxic waste is being dumped at a tropical resort, a group of environmentalist arrive to stop it, they are being hunted by a giant crocodile.

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, Yeah Italian Jaws rip off (i'm sure i heard the first notes of the John Williams score from Jaws aswell), the acting is what you would expect low budget cheese fest even with some good POV shots and some what a bit of bad dubbing mixed in. The croc itself was designed decently enough even though it ain't believable to be real but we did have plenty decent blood baths and good make-up effects, certainly worth a rewatch.

killer.jpg
Old 5th November 2020, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Street Fighter. 1994.

Col. Guile and other heroes take on dictator General Bison and reclaim Shadaloo City.

This is the first time seeing this since the VHS era and found it enjoyable, even to this day it's still enjoyable, it did get a bad reputation around the school for being crap, it does have a decent story and plot to it. Van Damme does throw a few kicks and punches then unleashes his style in the finale. Raul Julia plays another good bad guy like he did in The Rookie, even though he was limited to do more due to his illness but his appearance is still good mixed with comedy that still stands out, at least we get to see Kylie in pigtails and a nice tight vest.

StreetFighterMoviePoster.jpg
Old 5th November 2020, 11:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fiend (1980, Don Dohler)

Suburban mayhem from Mr Nightbeast. Is this the last gasp of regional US horror ? The squalling ST would suggest so ....
A neighbour's suspicion is raised when the next in a series of local murders literally lands on his doorstep. Somewhat more structurally sound, it's still rather stagey and mannered in time honoured fashion. Fun if it was a tad hard to make out the finale due to the faded nature of my old vhs ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th November 2020, 10:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Skullduggery (1983, Ota Richter)

Well, it's got a theme song for a start.
The hilarious "historical" prologue just sets up the madness to follow.
Cut to modern day and wouldn't you know it, they are playing those gateway RPGs! Satan must be close to hand prithee
After a visit to a fortune teller ends badly, we end up in hospital (as the female lead is a nurse haha) for shenanigans. A hoot. Not one I remember seeing at the time, which is a shame as it's a lot of fun, the supporting cast is full of oddball characters etc.
REWATCH!!

[B]
Old 6th November 2020, 12:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Street Fighter. 1994.

Col. Guile and other heroes take on dictator General Bison and reclaim Shadaloo City.

This is the first time seeing this since the VHS era and found it enjoyable, even to this day it's still enjoyable, it did get a bad reputation around the school for being crap, it does have a decent story and plot to it. Van Damme does throw a few kicks and punches then unleashes his style in the finale. Raul Julia plays another good bad guy like he did in The Rookie, even though he was limited to do more due to his illness but his appearance is still good mixed with comedy that still stands out, at least we get to see Kylie in pigtails and a nice tight vest.

Attachment 229227
Steven E. deSouza original script only followed seven characters from the game. He felt too many more would make it scattershot.

After some budgeting issues, deSouza learnt that Capcom would only increase funding if he included more characters. He protested, but was overruled.

I'd say hindsight is a bitch, but Capcom made a lot of money out of this film.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 6th November 2020, 04:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Interview with the Vampire (1994)

What a sublime final scene Neil Jordan gives Interview with the Vampire It's a perfect example of how to use a song - Guns N' Roses performing Symphony for the Devil - to close a movie. It's up there with The Devil's Rejects and Freebird for me with the beautiful free flowing camera movement out of the car around the Golden Gate Bridge and finally over the city as dawn breaks.

A perfect way to end a near perfect movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!