Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2020, 06:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Insidious: The Last Key (2018)

Why do i keep tormenting myself with shit like this?

Survival of the Dead (2009)

George A Romero's final zombie film arrived when the world was awash with zombie movies and unfortunately it really doesn't stand out from the crowd.

Obviously low budget following the huge flop that was Diary of the Dead, this has the feel of a low budget direct to dvd movie and for the first part is quite slick and satisfying, but during the second half Romero takes us into Hatfield and McCoys and zombies western territory and the whole thing becomes decidedly less interesting.

The effects are poor, in fact the CGI is very poor and the zombies themselves, well at times i couldn't tell the living from the dead, especially in the case of the two sisters.

The first time i watched Survival of the Dead i really liked it but time has not been kind to it unfortunately
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InsidiousTheLastKey.jpg (85.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 51yNi+aSUnL._AC_.jpg (26.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th November 2020, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Insidious: The Last Key (2018)

Why do i keep tormenting myself with shit like this?

Survival of the Dead (2009)

George A Romero's final zombie film arrived when the world was awash with zombie movies and unfortunately it really doesn't stand out from the crowd.

Obviously low budget following the huge flop that was Diary of the Dead, this has the feel of a low budget direct to dvd movie and for the first part is quite slick and satisfying, but during the second half Romero takes us into Hatfield and McCoys and zombies western territory and the whole thing becomes decidedly less interesting.

The effects are poor, in fact the CGI is very poor and the zombies themselves, well at times i couldn't tell the living from the dead, especially in the case of the two sisters.

The first time i watched Survival of the Dead i really liked it but time has not been kind to it unfortunately

I turned it off halfway through the first time I watched it D (SOTD)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th November 2020, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Killer Crocodile. 1989.

When toxic waste is being dumped at a tropical resort, a group of environmentalist arrive to stop it, they are being hunted by a giant crocodile.

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, Yeah Italian Jaws rip off (i'm sure i heard the first notes of the John Williams score from Jaws aswell), the acting is what you would expect low budget cheese fest even with some good POV shots and some what a bit of bad dubbing mixed in. The croc itself was designed decently enough even though it ain't believable to be real but we did have plenty decent blood baths and good make-up effects, certainly worth a rewatch.

Attachment 229225
I've been looking at this one, do you know if the 2nd one is any good?
Old 9th November 2020, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Street Fighter. 1994.

Col. Guile and other heroes take on dictator General Bison and reclaim Shadaloo City.

This is the first time seeing this since the VHS era and found it enjoyable, even to this day it's still enjoyable, it did get a bad reputation around the school for being crap, it does have a decent story and plot to it. Van Damme does throw a few kicks and punches then unleashes his style in the finale. Raul Julia plays another good bad guy like he did in The Rookie, even though he was limited to do more due to his illness but his appearance is still good mixed with comedy that still stands out, at least we get to see Kylie in pigtails and a nice tight vest.

Attachment 229227
The 1st Van Damme I was able to see at the Cinema. I've heard that the 88 Films Blu-Ray has added scenes, is this true?
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 9th November 2020, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982)

It's not very good is it? Why is this the 3rd or 4th time I've watched it, it's not getting any better Horrible...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th November 2020, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Fist of Honor. 1993.

A debt collector and boxer gets caught up in a feud between two rival mafia families and tries to find out who set him up.

This isn't a blockbuster success, even having Flash Gordon in the tile lead who is a street brawler boxer and heavy man who when challenged...he fights, them fighting words. Abe Vigoda and Harry Guardino play the heads of the families in truce until one breaks the truce and wants everything. It does have the typical American accent trying to do part Italian hard men. The plot does go a bit weak along the way and then gets a bit better but the fight scenes do make up for it in some ways.

Attachment 229195
I liked this film, I did think that we would see Sam Jones beat up the girl's Dad though.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 9th November 2020, 09:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Alien:Covenant. 2017.

A colony ship bound for a planet experience a shift in space and pick up a signal from a planet decide to check it out only to encounter a big problem where they may not escape from.

The first time I saw this and reviewed it, I gave it quite a bashing and probably swore I wouldn't watch it again but after a bit of peace and quiet (chromebook on and headphones on) second time watch and actually enjoyed it.

It seems to focus more on creation of life, from the start Weyland and David discussing life as David was created and asking who created his maker, that's more of before Prometheus journey looking for the creation of mankind. But like the other movies you have a new spaceship captain making a bad judgement then regretting the decision. Michael Fassbender returns as the android David and Walter (more advanced synthetic). The characters were a bit more appeasing to the point you become sympathetic as they will be sacrificed and begin to understand how the Aliens were created and became more of a hybrid species. The visual and special effects were done nicely along with some good cinematography. Hope Mr Scott does not screw up the next chapter in this when he does get round to making it even though it has been announced.

Attachment 229288
I think that if this was Prometheus 2 instead of having Alien in the title that it would have been better received.
Old 9th November 2020, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Kelsey Grammer plays a navel officer who finally gets his own command , but it's a clapped out old ww2 sub and he is part of a navel operation but the odds are stacked against him thanks to a admiral that hates him and the worst crew in navel history. Forgettable but enjoyable if predictable. 6/10

Steven Martin plays architect who after building a dream home and proposing to his finance is dumped by her. A few months later he has a one night stand with a waitress(Hawn) , whom ends up moving into the home and posing as his wife. When Newton (Martin) finds out he thinks this could be away to get his old girlfriend back. 7/10

Another piece of enjoyable feel good comedy with Goldie Hawn. This time she plays track and field teacher who wants to coach football, see gets her dream but it's not the school she was hoping for but the worst school in Chicago, a enjoyable mix a fish out of water and sports comedy, watch out for Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson in early roles. 7.5/10

Kiefer Sutherland plays a uptight fbi agent who is charged with transporting hippy radical Huey Walker ( Dennis Hopper) to prison. They get involved with a corrupt sheriff and along the way find out they have more in common than first thought. 7.5/10

James Belushi plays a man who thinks his life would of turned out better if he had won the championship baseball game when he was 15, he gets his wish when he enters a bar who just happens to be run by destiny( Michael Cane) but he might be rich and successful but he finds out there is more too life and it's not always greener on the other side. Like a extended twilight zone . 7/10

A hitman who is developing a conscience decides to attended his 10 year high school reunion , returning to the town he left ten years age. Once there he has too deal with a rival hitman ( Dan Aykroyd) ,a contract on his life , the fbi and the women he ran out on there senior prom. A very enjoyable film with a great 80s soundtrack. 9/10

Henry Winkler plays a morgue attended ( Chuck)who sent too the nightshift, he and his assistance ( Michael Keaton) decide to help Chucks neighbour ( Shelley Long) who is a prostitute who's pimp has been killed and decided to run her and some other girls from the morgue. A early Ron Howard movie. 7.5/10

Now watching, which I've not seen since it's release.

Wildcats was more of a serious film than I thought it would be.
Old 9th November 2020, 10:05 PM
Cult Addict

I actually quite like Survival of the dead.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 9th November 2020, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blended

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore team up for the 3rd time where they are both single parents who after a bad blind date end up sharing a African Holiday. Obviously they all live happily ever after but it's a decent watch, it does have some funny moments.

Major League: Back To The Minors

Yes this is the 3rd Major League Movie and this time Scott Bakula is the Minor League Coach who tries to get one over the Coach of the Major League team. I quite enjoyed this movie and whilst it doesn't have Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger, it does have Corbin Bernson, Bob Uecker and some others from the 2nd one.

Sloane

A former Cop goes to the Philippines to find his ex-girlfriend who has been abducted. He teams up with her best friend and his best friend. The acting and script ain't good and I've seen better Action scenes but it does have a random scene of Cannibalism similar to Mountain Of The Cannibal God. It's a film I didn't switch off half way through but it's not one I'm likely to see again nor will I buy it if it got a Blu-Ray release.

That being said, the 1st Advert on this VHS was for a Film called Devouring Waters which is a Italian Jaws rip-off, but it's perfect for 88 Films. Also was weird seeing a Advert for CHUD as a coming soon release.

Retribution

A struggling Artist tries to commit Suicide but at the same time a low level Hoodlum is gunned down (They were also born at the same time) so the Hoodlum possesses the Artist's body and takes over when he's asleep and gets his revenge on his killers. This is more of a psychological Supernatural Horror than a full on Horror gore fest, it does give the impression of some gory deaths but doesn't go all the way. The Lead Actor is convincing in his role but the movie was ok.

One of the Trailers, Cameron's Closet is perfect for Eureka, bit of a coincidence that 976 Evil was the Trailer after it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (15.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ml3bitm.jpg (10.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg s.jpg (16.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg r.jpg (15.8 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!