Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2020, 09:18 PM
Cult Addict

I put a compilation of dodgy trailers together from VHS i had at one point, think i copied em to dvd at one point so they're about somewhere, i called it...

Sleaze, cheese and Japanese.

I miss the days of a 2 VHS set up.
gag, Justin101, Demoncrat and 2 others like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th November 2020, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Heat (1986)

Burt Reynolds is a Bodyguard/Enforcer who wishes to get away from Atlantic City and Vegas, in order to do so he takes jobs that include letting someone pretend to beat him up in order to impress a girl or teaching self defense. However when he helps a Hooker get revenge on a entitled gangster, he incurs the wrath of The Mob. This is a forgotten Warner/Cannon film which isn't bad, it just focuses too much of him and Peter McNichol storyline instead of the Hooker/Mob storyline.

Boulevard

A abused woman flees to Toronto after giving up her newborn baby for adoption. When arriving she is befriended by a Hooker played by Rae Dawn Chong. Realizing that she needs to start earning money she ends up Hooking (After persuading her reluctant friend) where she attracts the attention of a murderous/nasty Pimp (Lou Diamond Phillips who plays his role really well, completely opposite character to Gil in Prodigal Son) Eventually things start turning ugly for you as the Pimp and Ex-Husband go looking for her. Lance Henrikson plays the sympathetic Vice Detective. I enjoyed this very much, it was riveting and a very under-rated, under the radar film.

Death Before Dishonor

80's Action Film in which a Marine Unit in Lebanon go on the hunt for Terrorists who assassinate and kidnap members of their unit. A fun movie if you're into this type of film, I thought that Fred Dywer did rather well in his role and there was an appearance by Sasha Mitchell.

Next Of Kin

Patrick Swayze is a Hillbilly Cop in Chicago who hunts down his brother's killer while trying to keep his brother from interfering. Again a fun movie which I knew about but never got round to watching. This certainly has a cast which includes Liam Neeson, Bill Paxton, Helen Hunt, Adam Baldwin (3:15) and in a serious role (I know he's been in serious films) and before he was famous (And I thought that this was an urban legend) Ben Stiller.

American Fighter

A middle eastern Teen trying to raise money in order to bring his Sick Mother to The U.S.A. ends up Illegal Fighting. Based on a True Story, it follows the usual clichés but there's plenty of Fighting and is a decent watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h.jpg (14.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (12.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg dbd.jpg (13.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg nok.jpg (14.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg af.jpg (15.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12th November 2020, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I put a compilation of dodgy trailers together from VHS i had at one point, think i copied em to dvd at one point so they're about somewhere, i called it...

Sleaze, cheese and Japanese.

I miss the days of a 2 VHS set up.
There's a few Trailer Reels on Youtube, I find them quite addictive as I can't just watch just one.

Ended up buying A Breed Apart cause I saw the advert on one.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 12th November 2020, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Host (2006) Director Bong Joon-ho

This film, about a giant mutated killer fish, has no right being as good as it is. But, it dragged me in right from the start and kept me on the edge of my seat, are they ever going to find and rescue Hyun-seo, why doesn't anyone believe the Park family? Is there really a virus??

I've had this un-watched on my shelf for years and I wish I had seen it sooner, loved it, and now I'm really excited to watch Memories of Murder!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th November 2020, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The Host (2006) Director Bong Joon-ho

This film, about a giant mutated killer fish, has no right being as good as it is. But, it dragged me in right from the start and kept me on the edge of my seat, are they ever going to find and rescue Hyun-seo, why doesn't anyone believe the Park family? Is there really a virus??

I've had this un-watched on my shelf for years and I wish I had seen it sooner, loved it, and now I'm really excited to watch Memories of Murder!
A great film. Enjoy MOM. You WILL.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th November 2020, 10:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I went through a phase of buying Ex-Rental Videos just to watch the adverts for nostalgia purposes, this was one of them, this film was one of those pleasant treats.
This is also a time when you realise you shouldn’t have been in such a rush to dispose of your vhs films. So many films still never been transferred from vhs is unreal, might be wrong but I think screamtime another, that’s why occasionally I type in youtube 70s / 80s horror and you can find literally hundreds of films that you forgot about or aren’t on dvd yet etc.
Old 12th November 2020, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Reno 911!: Miami (2007)

Sometimes you just need to laugh and this ridiculous, crass, politically uncorrect, crude and riotously funny docudrama always does the trick for me.

Paul Rudd plays Scarface and Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson explodes!

"Oh man. I just had the weirdest dream."

"You know you're driving right now, right?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81fET3zkHRL._RI_.jpg (95.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 12th November 2020, 10:12 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Sometimes you just need to laugh and this ridiculous, crass, politically uncorrect, crude and riotously funny docudrama always does the trick for me.

That's exactly why I watched Police Academy a couple of nights ago Sometimes you just need to watch a film where someone puts boot polish on the mouth piece of a megaphone

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th November 2020, 10:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
This is also a time when you realise you shouldn’t have been in such a rush to dispose of your vhs films. So many films still never been transferred from vhs is unreal, might be wrong but I think screamtime another, that’s why occasionally I type in youtube 70s / 80s horror and you can find literally hundreds of films that you forgot about or aren’t on dvd yet etc.
Who does this now? Only civilians

I'll get me cloak ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th November 2020, 10:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

The series leaves the film in the dust D. Just saying ....

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!