Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179614Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2020, 11:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ring Of Darkness (1979, Pier Carpi)

What's a mother to do when her child inherits her birthright? A hoot. Interesting cast. Would make a great double bill with The Visitor tbh. The door's locked, so don't try running for the exit ...
Had never heard of this one again. Result as it was fairly bonkers.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th November 2020, 02:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

PLAY FOR TODAY - Shakespeare Or Bust

Three miners from Leeds hire a barge in order to sail the canals all the way to Shakespeare’s home of Stratford Upon Avon in this hugely likeable comic drama.
The always watchable Brian Glover stars here, but all the characters help make this play warm, funny and utterly charming.
Shot on film, this Blu Ray restoration looks fantastic.
And yes, it does open with the iconic Play For Today theme and titles!

PLAY FOR TODAY - A Photograph

Opening with a quite startling image, this has a famous writer and broadcaster receive a mysterious unsigned photo of what appears to be two girls beside a caravan, leading his increasingly neurotic wife to question his loyalty and behaviour towards her. She persuades him to try and track down the photo’s origins, leading to delicious twist in the tale.
Mostly a stiudio bound episode, this is the kind of thing Tales Of The Unexpected could have been, if it wasn’t so shite.
Old 25th November 2020, 03:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Speedy (1928)

I love discovering movies for the first time and finding that there are more just like them waiting to be watched. Enter Harold Lloyd, last time (Safety Last) we saw Harold as a luckless shop clerk who needed money to finally marry his fiance.

This time around he's a happy-go-lucky guy who can't keep a job down because he's too interested in baseball to concentrate. We follow him on a series of hi-jinx including a spectacular trip the funfair at the famous Coney Island.

However, the main point of the plot is the grandpa of Harold's beau happens to own and run the last horse drawn street car in New York and some heavies want him to sell up so they can put motorised streetcars in. As you can probably imagine things get out of hand quickly and one point a full on brawl between a group of old men and young gang members breaks out!

Great fun and laugh out loud funny. I need to find my next fix now, but I feel I have been spoiled by the quality of the 2 Criterion releases.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th November 2020, 03:31 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Speedy (1928)

I love discovering movies for the first time and finding that there are more just like them waiting to be watched. Enter Harold Lloyd, last time (Safety Last) we saw Harold as a luckless shop clerk who needed money to finally marry his fiance.

This time around he's a happy-go-lucky guy who can't keep a job down because he's too interested in baseball to concentrate. We follow him on a series of hi-jinx including a spectacular trip the funfair at the famous Coney Island.

However, the main point of the plot is the grandpa of Harold's beau happens to own and run the last horse drawn street car in New York and some heavies want him to sell up so they can put motorised streetcars in. As you can probably imagine things get out of hand quickly and one point a full on brawl between a group of old men and young gang members breaks out!

Great fun and laugh out loud funny. I need to find my next fix now, but I feel I have been spoiled by the quality of the 2 Criterion releases.
Growing up in the 80's, this used to be essential viewing

Friday afternoon, BBC2, 5:30 - 6:00pm

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th November 2020, 04:46 PM
Cult Master

AAAABTDHpPis38EhDtoBzKS6VV9_coN-8PyTeUOdVEFM-2dg0YFc4bqLXwt03r9ihPePvDf4RdB8Ufcwiq0VXhoDhuCSN2ed.jpg

Retired Mercenary Shale takes on the job of substitute teacher when his fiancee is attacked in the streets by gang that runs the school she works in. Thinking he is going to just take out the gang leader Shale finds himself in the middle of a drug war that goes much deeper and higher up than just some street gangs.

I always enjoy these types of films its a story we all have seen many times but it doesnt make this any less enjoyable. A really solid cast of recognisable actors all but in strong performances as well as some of the younger actors. Its all going smoothly with Shale starting to care about his students and actually getting through to them but once the s**t hits the fan there is a slight direction chance with night vision goggles rocket launchers and a standoff with another mercenary group but i have to say they were a considerate bunch with every mans gun sporting a silencer making sure not to disturb the neighbours.

Very enjoyable.

7/10
Old 25th November 2020, 08:15 PM
Cult Master

Five-Element-Ninja-poster.jpg

Five Elements Ninjas

Two rival schools face off in a series of fights to prove who is the best. When the final show down is over the Japanese samurai is forced to take his own life after discrasing by losing but he vows revenge before he dies. Shortly after the victories school receives a letter calling them to a challenge where their top students must defeat five ninjas that fight in the style of the five elements. All the top fighters are easily wiped out and it is up to the final warrior to wipe out the five elements.

Right from the get go i was hooked watching so many contrasting styles together in one scenes was a real treat and this was just during the opening credits and it started as it means to go on not letting up at all.

This is one beautiful looking film from the sets and the perfectly crafted fight scenes to the colours especially during the fights involving the elements the colours just reach out and grab you.

Definitely one of my favourite King Fu films. Its just plain f***ing awesome

9/10
Old 25th November 2020, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran

That's been in my watch pile for about 2 years, the trailer looked amazing which is why I bought it. I might actually watch it this week
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th November 2020, 08:32 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That's been in my watch pile for about 2 years, the trailer looked amazing which is why I bought it. I might actually watch it this week
You definitely should this was my first time watching it its on Netflix im going to pick up the Blu Ray soon after that.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 25th November 2020, 09:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The ex show girl wife takes over the running of a major league baseball team, the Cleveland Indians. She immediately hires the worst players she can find hoping they will finish dead last and so letting her move the team too Florida . Once the team find out they set there sites on winning the championship.

A highly enjoyable sports comedy with a great bunch of characters and you really don't need too know anything of baseball too enjoy. 8/10

Perseus son of Zeus sets out to win the heart of the beautiful Andromeda and save her kingdom , Perseus has too battle giant scorpions , Medusa and the Kraken with help from his flying horse, mechanical owl and batmans Penguin.

The acting is a little hit and miss but it's flaws are outweighed by Ray Harryhausen wonderful creations . 8/10

Now watching.
Old 25th November 2020, 09:09 PM
Cult Master

Its been years since i last saw Major League totally forgot about that film i loved it going to have to get a copy.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!