Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'Midsommar' - wow, wow, wow, this is amazing. Had me mesmerised from start to finish. The pre-title sequence is shattering and kicks off a feeling of dread that lasted the whole film. I wasn't prepared for a couple of the scenes, truly shocking.
I'm not really up with current popular films/tv, so apart from a couple of sort of familiar faces, I didn't recognise the cast - but man, Florence Pugh was fantastic in this. Absolutely fantastic.
4.5/5.
I highly rated midsommar, but the hatred it gets is unreal and people keep saying wickerman rip off, oh come wickerman was released in the 70s and apart from wickerman not really many films can compare either of these two if that was the case you could almost compare nearly every film to another film these days, just glad that a film that was different than remakes, sequels, reboots, spin off, tv version of a film, marvel / Dc etc etc, it’s good that there is slowly a few films breaking out and breaking away from the norm and providing something new fresh and different eg vvitch, the lighthouse etc, the light house is a fantastic film that again is getting bad reviews but I think people are missing the story and concept about slow decent into madness because there only 2 people in the film and complaining it’s slow dull and boring, if that’s the case then stick to mind numbing crash bang wallop action packed soulless Micheal Bay shite.
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I highly rated midsommar, but the hatred it gets is unreal and people keep saying wickerman rip off, oh come wickerman was released in the 70s and apart from wickerman not really many films can compare either of these two if that was the case you could almost compare nearly every film to another film these days, just glad that a film that was different than remakes, sequels, reboots, spin off, tv version of a film, marvel / Dc etc etc, it’s good that there is slowly a few films breaking out and breaking away from the norm and providing something new fresh and different eg vvitch, the lighthouse etc, the light house is a fantastic film that again is getting bad reviews but I think people are missing the story and concept of the about slow decent into madness because there only 2 people in the film and complaining it’s slow dull and boring, if that’s the case then stick to mind numbing crash bang wallop action packed soulless Micheal Bay shite.
Midsommar is also quite similar to Ti West's The Sacrament as well as The Wicker Man.

In all honesty it's is unsettling in it's final third but lacks any dramatic tension up till then and the story is hardly gripping, seemingly borrowing from a multitude of genre sources in reaching it's destination and it's way too long.

Basically it was over hyped i thought and although i didn't hate it or anything like that but anyone into Folk Horror in all it's guises won't find anything new with it aside from it's shot totally in sunlight.
Justin101, Nostalgic and Graveyard like this.
Old 4th December 2020, 05:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cheeky (2000)

I'm sure there's a story somewhere in this classic piece of erotica from auteur Tinto Brass but given all the boobs, vagina's, anuses, fingerings and erect cocks i never really noticed.

Cheeky would probably make Jess Franco blush with the sheer number of zoom shots and provides a lot of soft core erotic fun , but this is not a movie to watch with your kids, nor with your parents.
Old 4th December 2020, 07:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

VARIOUS-FILM,_RADIO,_THEATRE_&_TV_HOT-ROD+GIRL-708662.jpg
HOT ROD GIRL (1956)

A trouble making newcomer to town stirs up the local hot rodders to race on the roads rather than on the drag strip.

AIP drive-in movie. One of the juvenile delinquency movies of the time.
In fact, it warns of the dangers of hot rods racing on the roads.
Lori Nelson (Revenge Of The Creature, Day The World Ended) stars as the girlfriend of a driver haunted by a road death. Usual AIP music segments with Bebop music playing on the juke box. Good.
Old 5th December 2020, 01:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 2

Hunter's Moon (2020)

Low budget horror that has a very good concept at it's heart but is painfully slow even at 78 minutes and said concept is sign posted far too early.

Initially playing out as a home invasion movie when three young thugs make their way into the new orchard home of gorgeous Katrina Bowden and her two sisters whilst their parents are away for the night. It begins promisingly enough and adds to proceedings with Thomas Jane's grizzled sheriff but from then on it meanders with nothing notable happening until the final ten minutes, but by that time it's painfully obvious what's going on even if it is well thought out. It's unfortunate that even the best ideas seem poor when they are clunkily executed as they are in Hunter's Moon.

Four days into this and i'm already lagging behind.
Old 5th December 2020, 03:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

horrors-of-the-black-museum-movie-poster-1959-1010672568.jpg
HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM (1959)

Crime writer Michael Gough comits murder with the help of his assistant, who he injects to turn him in to a monster.
Gough, obsessed with the police Black Museum of death instruments, uses the devices to kill and then write a book about it.
Good movie with Gough at his bet as the crazy killer.
The US version released by AIP, had a 12 minute prologue called 'HypnoVista', a gimic to cash in the William Castle movies.
Old 5th December 2020, 03:27 PM
Cult Veteran

Mank (2020) (David Fincher) on Netflix

I'm not a Citizen Kane fan I'll get that out of the way. I did enjoy Mank though, the story of the man who wrote the famous screenplay, mainly for the performances (Oldman and Seyfried) and the technical aspects of the film making. That pin sharp high contrast B&W looks beautiful.

It did start to lose me though, as the narrative started to focus more and more on politics, which I understand was important to the characters and their relationships, I started to feel a little restless and dare I say it bored. Then it just actually ended.

That was the only problem I had with an otherwise great film, it kind of fumbled the landing!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th December 2020, 05:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Invisible Kid (1988, Avery Crounse)

Mate turned up with this. I remembered the cover from the vhs days. A rather odd blend of Teen Wolf, Back To The Future and other things. Karen Black plays his mum. Yet again, the real stunts ( and hokey FX) won me over. I returned the favour by showing him that Equinox, as he's a big stop motion fan etc.

Later if I gets a chance it'll be that Host , as I liked Unfriended etc etc (those twits deserved what was coming to them )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th December 2020, 09:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
This film hurts my soul.
After Last Jedi, I just gave up. They would have been better off having Hamil reprise the role of CockKnocker from Jay & Silent Bob!

Haven't seen this, and the minute the next Mr Robot, Game of Thrones, Witcher, Walking Dead, Sabrina, (ie: the next "best show on netflix etc") comes out, the Mandelorian will be cast aside to chase the next cash cow.

And we all thought Lucas was a moneygrabber, it's actually become worse after his dodgey prequals!

*all views my own & do not represent Star Wars fans in general. Please don't get angry.

Currently watching MURDER BY CONTRACT, excellent noir by Irving Lerner about a hitman having second thoughts about his latest assignment.
Old 5th December 2020, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Killer Crocodile

A group of Environmentalists find out that someone has been dumping chemicals into a river in South America (Which looks like the river from Cannibal Holocaust) which turns a Crocodile into a giant killer Crocodile. Not bad, the lead characters were annoying that they wanted to save the Crocodile originally but it was gory when it needed to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kc.jpg (15.0 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!